Soul Spy?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TyrelHaveman said:
Our Soul was at the dealership today trying to figure out what's wrong with the climate control. They said that it thinks the temperature in the cabin is -26 degrees (didn't specify C or F). They don't know how to fix it yet so we're getting the car back. But this gives me a chance to look for -26 C (0xE6) or -26 F (-32 C, 0xE0) on the CAN bus, where the rest of you are probably seeing more reasonable numbers around 0x14.

Of course, it could be on the M_CAN which I can't look at with the ELM327...

If you have ideas of where to look, let me know.

Break the car again and have a look at their tools with the tech :mrgreen:

I suspect that there's a calibration value somewhere that gets applied to the cabin temperature sensor. In your random blatting of PIDs you have overwritten the value for your sensor with the minimum value so it is now reading room temperature as -26.

The fix would be to actually reset the calibration value, but I've no idea of if the Kia diagnostic program supports it or whether it would need a new HVAC module with the firmware flashed at the factory.

TyrelHaveman said:
Either way, I have no intention of firing random data at the CAN bus anymore.

I can imagine!

Tyrel, I just plugged the ELM and got the data for 21 01 to 21 05. I added my data to the spreadsheet!

I used a quick charger this morning. Latest reading shows my 96 cells varying in voltage some 3.9V some 3.92V. (SOC=72%)
This is the first time I have seen variation. Might be irrelevant rounding error though.
I have heard that slow charging balances the cells better.

Can someone correct the English description of the sensor names to use the actual English values.
At present we are using google translate from the German.
Some values are misleading e.g. Isolationswiderstand is translated Insulation Resistance not Isolation Resistance.
There is a screenshot of the Kia diagnostic on page 2 of this thread.

SiLiZiUMM: can you post your mileage / age of car - it helps to look for the SOH data if we know which car should have more deterioration.

Tyrel: I think it is unlikely you have made a permanent change to your car. I am sure it is a simple setting that can be trivially reset. When I researched the bootleg version of Kia's Diagnostic Software I found out that it would not be able to flash the ECU's or make any permanent settings. For that you need to have an official service contract which looks online to get the encryption codes. The problem for you is that if you have altered an undocumented setting that is not in Kia's Diagnostic Software it would need a software engineer to fly over from Korea to come fix it. You are probably the only person in the world to have found this error, once fixed it will be an easy reset should anyone ever have this problem again.

We have this car (a white Soul EV+/Luxury btw) since august 26 2015. It's a 2016 model, and we are at 3266km.

I'll have a look at the screenshots of the Kia software I have through all documents and correct the strings

SiLiZiUMM said:
I'll have a look at the screenshots of the Kia software I have through all documents and correct the strings

I just fixed most of them.

I noticed there are a few things missing from Alex's list and added them. Also those screenshots from JejuSoul are not complete, they're missing the top several items, so we don't know exactly how Kia chose to translate them into English (assuming they're in Korean to begin with).

I'll have at look at the manual to see if I can get the rest of the names.

As for the Max Deterioration value - I think we need more data.
Comparing my car to Pierre-Étienne's
I have 2.5% Max Deterioration which is roughly what I would expect and 0% Min Deterioration
But he has 4% Max Deterioration even though his car is newer and has fewer km.

Alex: can you post your mileage / age of car so we can see if this line of inquiry is worth pursuing.

JejuSoul said:
I'll have at look at the manual to see if I can get the rest of the names.

As for the Max Deterioration value - I think we need more data.
Comparing my car to Pierre-Étienne's
I have 2.5% Max Deterioration which is roughly what I would expect and 0% Min Deterioration
But he has 4% Max Deterioration even though his car is newer and has fewer km.

Alex: can you post your mileage / age of car so we can see if this line of inquiry is worth pursuing.

Battery deterioration is a very complex process with many variables. Age is only one of those variables. For example, a 2013 LEAF in Seattle might still have 96% SOH right now, while there are 2013 LEAFs in Southern California with 75% or less. This is largely due to temperature. In addition, I imagine it's difficult to measure the deterioration accurately, so you may see some variation.

I'm not surprised at all to see numbers that we're seeing at this point.

TyrelHaveman said:
Also those screenshots from JejuSoul are not complete, they're missing the top several items, ...
Here is the missing screenshot
24eq9nr.jpg

JejuSoul said:
I have about 5500km and it is from 04/2015.

BigEdgar said:
JejuSoul (and others working on the SoulSpy) - I don't have high mileage, only 200 miles so far, but I should be getting my ELM327 bluetooth scanner in the mail today (the same one Tyrel referenced in an earlier post on this thread). If it's helpful, I can hook it up and check any values if one of you felt like providing some instructions (I have a few Android devices that I can pair with the ELM327, and I could also hook it up to a Windows 8 laptop).
If you want to test that your ELM327 is working. Install TorquePro from the CD. Follow the instructions to connect via Bluetooth. Open TorquePro and check the Adapter Status. I would wait for SoulSpy to be released before doing any active testing. (hopefully soon)

Hi guys,

I've driven my Kia a total of 20024km, and this is the data from my car while parked:

Displayed information:
Available range: 127km
SOC-Diplayed: 99%
Outside temp.: 12C

>

7EC103D6101FFFFFFFF
7EA100E6101F0000000
7EC21BC10AC23280300
7EA2104060E03000000
7EC22040F700A0A0A0A
7EA2200000000000000
7EC230A0A0A000CCE2A
7EC24CD4100008E0001
7EC25C68C0001D1A600
7EC2600A8110000A7C5
7EC27005CC06845018F
7EC280000000003E800

>

7EC10266102FFFFFFFF
7EA10216102FFFF8000
7EC21CECECECECECECE
7EA218FC70000000000
7EC22CECDCDCDCDCDCD
7EA2200000004000000
7EC23CDCDCDCDCDCDCD
7EA2300002100363938
7EC24CDCDCDCECDCDCD
7EA2406080008215000
7EC25CDCDCDCD000000

>

7EA037F2112
7EC10266103FFFFFFFF
7EC21CDCDCECDCDCDCD
7EC22CDCDCECECECECE
7EC23CECECECECECECE
7EC24CDCECECECECDCD
7EC25CDCDCDCD000000

>

7EA037F2112
7EC10266104FFFFFFFF
7EC21CDCDCDCECDCDCD
7EC22CDCDCDCDCECDCD
7EC23CDCDCDCDCECDCD
7EC24CDCDCDCDCECECE
7EC25CECDCECE000000
A
>

7EC102C6105FFFFFFFF
7EA037F2112
7EC2100000000000A09
7EC220A0000000010AC
7EC2323280001500A0A
7EC24006C07005D0DC6
7EC2500000000000000
7EC2600000000000000

While waiting for my OVMS, I've created some preliminary images for the Kia in the iOS-APP. But since I'm a total newbie to GIT, I'm struggling with understanding how to get the images into the master-repository. I did fork the master iOS-repository and checked in my changes, and then I sent a pull request, so I hope that is the correct procedure :)

I've added all five colors to the status screen, but on the car- and location-pages I did only find an image for the blue white Soul.

Hopefully these images can be used directly in the Android-version too.

Hi goev,
I am no expert with git but I can see your pull request so I assume it worked.
For some reason this link won't show as an image.
https://github.com/goev/Open-Vehicle-iOS/blob/4ca2481cf89eb4232422cb5ea1a44b11a81e2d3d/OpenVehicleApp/ovms/carimages/car_kiasoul_carribianblueclearwhite.png
Most people on this thread seem to be using ELM327 dongles to connect via Bluetooth.
The software being written is an Android Soul Spy. Hopefully this too will go up on github.
I don't think anyone here has OVMS. (except Alex /Alkl ).
I am really happy that both projects are proceeding, and that we are currently sharing open source data.
And I am happy to support both if I can.

Anyway as an almost total newbie to git here are some notes I made
Code:
git remote -v

Adding new stuff to local
git add
git commit
git push origin master

Syncing from server
git fetch upstream
git checkout master
git merge upstream/master

move stuff to my server fork
git push

Getting out of a mess
git reset --hard  xxxxxx
git push origin +master

Thanks for the GIT-tips, JejuSoul :)

The Image link you said didn't work, it works for me, but it tok a few seconds to load, though, for some reason.

I think it is cool that you are making an Android app! I have an ELM327 WiFi dongle, and could have been interested in an iPhone app, since that's my preferred platform, but the need for being close to the car makes such solutions not as useful to me as OVMS. But it would be a nice addition to OVMS to check battery health and stuff like that :)

But this gave me an idea, which might not be a new one to you, but here it is:

If your app could send and answer SMS, continuously update a server or send a Twitter-messages when the charging stops, a cheap Android phone with your software could replace the rather complex OVMS-setup :D

Yes, Tyrel and I are working on an Android app, sources are available on Github. Feel free if you wanna join!

https://github.com/pemessier/SoulEVSpy

SiLiZiUMM said:
Yes, Tyrel and I are working on an Android app, sources are available on Github. Feel free if you wanna join!
Good news. I would like to help, but am a complete beginner in Android programming. And ELM327.
I will just watch and learn for now.

goev said:
I have an ELM327 WiFi dongle, and could have been interested in an iPhone app, since that's my preferred platform, but the need for being close to the car makes such solutions not as useful to me as OVMS. But it would be a nice addition to OVMS to check battery health and stuff like that :)

But this gave me an idea, which might not be a new one to you, but here it is:

If your app could send and answer SMS, continuously update a server or send a Twitter-messages when the charging stops, a cheap Android phone with your software could replace the rather complex OVMS-setup :D
The Question is how stable is the ELM327/App solution working how much energy is it consuming?
I read that the OVMS hardware needs about 2,7Ah/day. The Soul 12V battery has 45Ah i think, but it is also charged during loading the EV battery.

Yesterday i installed the OVMS hardware in the glover box: I removed the air filter in the glover box and the cover around the OBD connector (maybe not necessary). Then it's possible to pull the OBD-cable behind the multimedia display to the glove box :)

JejuSoul said:
I don't think anyone here has OVMS. (except Alex /Alkl ).
I'm also new to OMVS but so far i think it's a reliable solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back