Canadian Federal A/C tax and the EV+ w/Heat Pump

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irfca

I don't know if anyone else has thought to ask, but I was wondering if / why the Canadian Federal Air Conditioner tax should be applicable to a vehicle equipped with a Heat Pump ... it would seem it is more a heating device then a cooling device, and as such would be exempt.

Probably because it uses freon...

irfca said:
I don't know if anyone else has thought to ask, but I was wondering if / why the Canadian Federal Air Conditioner tax should be applicable to a vehicle equipped with a Heat Pump ... it would seem it is more a heating device then a cooling device, and as such would be exempt.

I found the answer myself - it would seem they are exempt! And not just the Heat Pumps, but Air Conditioners in the EV too!

From the Canadian Government website publication with the law description: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/et/x3-1/x3-1-e.html

Goods taxable

5. The following goods are subject to an excise tax:

fuel-inefficient automobiles (green levy);
air conditioners designed for use in automobiles, station wagons, vans and trucks; and
gasoline, diesel fuel, aviation gasoline, and aviation fuel.

Automotive air conditioners

13. Section 7 of Schedule I states that air conditioners designed for use in automobiles, station wagons, vans or trucks are subject to an excise tax of $100, whether:

separate, or
included as permanently installed equipment in an automobile, station wagon, van or truck, at the time of sale or importation of the vehicle by the manufacturer or importer thereof.

Exceptions

17. The excise tax on air conditioners designed for automobiles, station wagons, vans or trucks applies only to those that are powered by the engines or power trains of the vehicles mentioned. Air conditioners that are powered by separate motors, propane or electricity are not subject to this tax.

So it would seem, if you have purchased a Soul EV Luxury (as it is now called in Canada), you should not be paying the $100 AC tax!

Basing it on how it is powered (separate or integral) seems odd at best... Clearly the law was written with other considerations and circumstances in mind...

irfca said:
So it would seem, if you have purchased a Soul EV Luxury (as it is now called in Canada), you should not be paying the $100 AC tax!

Back