Warning message!

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loristein

I was driving along with 86 miles left on the charge when this message popped up, and it now pops up every 7 seconds or so:

Battery Discharge Warning!
Please use the system when the ignition is on.

Other than this being a ridiculous message (I was driving!), what do you think it could be? Faulty sensor?

I called the Kia roadside assist and they didn't have a clue (he was nice, though), and could only suggest that I get the car into a dealer that carries the EV.

Problem is that I'm in Palm Desert for a week and the Kia dealership here is not one of the ones that is carrying them.

Other than this annoyance (and I hope it is only that), I really dig the car.

MBB has a similar problem. They take the car back if owner wishes to do so. They're working on the fix as of late.

This just happened to my wife after driving 12 miles with a full traction battery. Did the warning ever come back after rebooting the car? If it is not just a glitch, it sounds like some issue with the 12V battery not getting charged.

I just had the car in for service last week, and everything checked out good. I don't think they did anything except the steering recall and belt-buckle issue, but I'll double-check the paperwork when she comes home. Or, if it doesn't re-start, when I rescue her.

-Nate

Message on the infotainment head unit will just be a bug, just make sure that there isn't a battery light showing in the dash - single battery is 12V battery discharging, the stack of batteries light is main traction battery low.

If the light in the dash is on then that means that the 12V battery is not getting charged by the DC-DC converter. There is a service action of a new firmware to be flashed to it, but that is going to take a Soul EV dealer. You may need to just keep recharging the 12V battery to get you home.

If it is just the message in the infotainment head unit then ignore it until you get back home and have a chance for a dealer to do something about it.

LCD screen showing Battery discharge warning while driving.
First time in almost 2 years of owning this fabulous car.
Reboot the car at a red light and warning stopped.

Good to see in this forum somebody suggested this could be a bug in the infotainment system instead of an actual charging fault.

This warning is displayed when voltage drop too fast on the 12v accessory battery (little white bar on the top of the screen).

Or, it's the warning about level of the High-Voltage battery ?
(in % on the middle of the screen)

The full warning message:
battery discharge warning! Please use the system with the ignition on.

I usually got this while listening to radio with ignition off, but first time while driving.

find the fuse of the GPS cluster ... plug/unplug/plug 3-4 times (it's a C mark).
move 2-3 times the ON/OFF main switch of the (same) fuse box.

sKavHT.png

This also happened to me a few months ago. Same symptoms and circumstances ...

mysoulev said:
The full warning message:
battery discharge warning! Please use the system with the ignition on.

I usually got this while listening to radio with ignition off, but first time while driving.

SoulEV2016 said:
find the fuse of the GPS cluster ... plug/unplug/plug 3-4 times (it's a C mark).
move 2-3 times the ON/OFF main switch of the (same) fuse box.

Thanks SoulEV2016,
my initial thought was the fuse too, it only happened once, hopefully it was just a programming glitch.
if it happens again i will check the fuse.

Back