notfred

Re: brakes failed

Tue May 19, 2015 12:37 pm

When she said "she couldn't get the car to brake" did she say why not? Did the brake pedal go to the floor? Was it up high and hard?

If the pedal went to the floor then I would suspect the wrong pedal was pushed. If the brake pedal is high and hard then that's a classic brake booster failure and while the brakes will still work, people used to driving modern power assisted braked cars will be really surprised at how hard they need to hit the pedal for it to work.

Gasoline cars use intake manifold vacuum for the brake booster. How is the boost done on the Soul EV? Is it directly electric or is a little vacuum pump used?

mtndrew1

Tue May 19, 2015 12:41 pm

notfred wrote:Gasoline cars use intake manifold vacuum for the brake booster. How is the boost done on the Soul EV? Is it directly electric or is a little vacuum pump used?

If I understand the system correctly it uses a high-pressure accumulator for power assist; there is no vacuum assist.

jcallan

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:42 am

I guess most 'pedal misapplication' incidents are down to the driver's foot going too far right and hitting the accelerator - maybe there's another type where the driver's foot hits the foot rest on the left? Of course you'd have to NOT have your left foot there... you'd notice if you were stomping on your own foot! Might just be wishful thinking from us concerned SoulEV owners...

Sorry you're having to pay up though (sounds like US insurance sucks in this respect).

clyde270

Fri May 06, 2016 2:07 pm

Last night, my brakes failed with my kids in the back seat. 2015 model. I was first at a red light on a slight hill. While waiting, my pedal went to the floor and I began to roll backwards. Tried pumping brake, but nothing. All power on dash was on including green car icon. I quickly put it in neutral and could not set the emergency brake. Did not work as I use it often in neutral while in fast food drive thru lines. Accelerator pedal did not work either again though green car icon was on. Decided to force it to park, push power on and off, then gave it acceleration until it finally held its position on the hill. Luckily the guy behind me in the truck rolled backwards with me. Scared my kids as I was loudly talking myself in what to do in these few seconds of panic. Probably less than 10 seconds. But I move fast as I've had master cylinders go out on my Junkers that I used to drive to school. Didn't expect this from a car I bought on 7/7/2015. Made my adrenaline go for a few minutes of fast heart rate. I'll take it by the dealer in Lithia Springs tomorrow this Saturday. I'm glad I found this tread in this forum. I'll try to keep you posted. One mention. No check engine lights. And today have not experienced it again. This is my third electric car. Other two were Ford Focus BEV.
Last edited by clyde270 on Fri May 06, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtndrew1

Fri May 06, 2016 2:11 pm

Yikes, that's a scary situation. I'm glad you and your family weren't injured.

Please take the time to report this problem to safercar.gov so that the NHTSA can keep track of it.

Direct link to the form is here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

JejuSoul

Sun May 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Please do report this incident. It is a scary event to have both pedals fail completely when driving. Am glad no one was hurt. From your comments it sounds like your car was fine after restarting. Hence this is not the issue of a loose wire or fuse needing to be fixed before the car restarts. I have heard of a couple of those cases before. There is one case similar to yours that was reported in the news here. A Soul EV driving on the freeway had both pedals fail. The driver managed to pull over, (presumably regen) and stop. Once restarted the car was fine and the KIA technicians could find nothing wrong.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Darklight

Mon May 30, 2016 4:10 am

Dayum. Maybe sticking to my Leaf is the best strategy given issues like these and the whining sound I just read about. I have never set foot near my dealer in two years with my 2014 Leaf.

I have to give all you folks serious props for being early adopters and doing KIA's QC in the field for them when they should have done it at the factory.

2016Electric

Mon May 30, 2016 4:30 am

Darklight wrote:Dayum. Maybe sticking to my Leaf is the best strategy given issues like these and the whining sound I just read about. I have never set foot near my dealer in two years with my 2014 Leaf.

I have to give all you folks serious props for being early adopters and doing KIA's QC in the field for them when they should have done it at the factory.

What are you talking about?

First, we have yet to see an actual report on a car with "failed" brakes to see what (if anything) went wrong.

Second, what whine? I own a 2016 Soul EV and it is the quietest car I've ever owned or driven.

Third, QC? Zero issues with mine. Every car, especially first gen, will have some issues. That's what the warranty is for. OBC issues experienced by some, which were covered under warranty and replaced with a newer version unit, hopefully of a more robust design. It's not like the Leaf, or any other car for that matter, didn't have a few issues on the first model.

Please don't spread FUD, especially if you've nothing to contribute and don't actually have any experience with one of these cars.

notfred

Mon May 30, 2016 5:23 am

I have colleagues with Leaf's and I have a Soul EV. The Leaf is far noisier than the Soul EV with a definite whine at slower speeds.

tractioninc

Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 am

notfred wrote:I have colleagues with Leaf's and I have a Soul EV. The Leaf is far noisier than the Soul EV with a definite whine at slower speeds.

Agreed, our Leaf is louder than our Soul EV... but both are extremely quiet compared to traditional vehicles.
Kia Soul EV+, Porsche 928

Return to “General / Main Kia Soul EV Owners Forum”