2016 EV+ Supply Constrained?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onetruebob

After a fair amount of research, I decided I wanted to lease a new Kia Soul EV+. So I reached out to a local Atlanta Kia dealer and let them know what I wanted: a blue 2016 EV+ with sun and fun package. (The panoramic sunroof looks great.)

I got an email from them today saying the closest thing he could get right now is a 2015 EV+ in black and red (which doesn't have sun and fun). Even said he's not seeing any more production of the 2016s. Fortunately I've got no need to rush into a new purchase, so I said I'd wait until he found more or the 2017s were available.

I conducted a search on the Kia site, and indeed they only showed base models within 50 miles of Atlanta.

So now I'm left to speculate:
* Is Kia really having trouble producing enough 2016 EV+ models?
* Are they ramping down production in preparation for 2017 models?
* Worse case, am I getting the run around from the dealer in a sad attempt to move the units they already have in stock?
* Are folks seeing this same limit on EV+ supply elsewhere?

I was looking back in Oct for a black one with Fun in the Sun.

They only had a 2016 Black and Red one, locally in stock, or could ship 2 gray or 2 whites.
None had the sunroof.

Guy made it seems like a hassle to get the other units "because I would have to pay him to go get the units and drive them back to Seattle".?.? I didn't want a light color anyway.

I went with the Black and Red because it was the plus model like I wanted, and the sunroof seemed very hard to find.

This was my first time ever getting a new vehicle. I was a bit disappointed I could not walk in, tell them what I wanted and have them order it for me.
(The good ol' days)

All three of my local Kia dealers have two Soul EVs in stock. Garvey Kia in Queensbury, NY has a silver plus model with the sun and fun package. They've had it since November and it still hasn't moved off the lot.

13237663_10206665824784517_1738750183427547425_n_zpsmt0c3e6s.jpg

13254230_10206665824944521_9174560882906101397_n_zpsmz8u1xnl.jpg

onetruebob said:
So now I'm left to speculate:
* Is Kia really having trouble producing enough 2016 EV+ models?
* Are they ramping down production in preparation for 2017 models?
* Worse case, am I getting the run around from the dealer in a sad attempt to move the units they already have in stock?
* Are folks seeing this same limit on EV+ supply elsewhere?
Kia has increased production of the Soul EV in the last few months to match increased production at the battery plant -- http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=326&start=10 -- However which MY and which version and for what country I have no idea. My interpretation is that your suspicion is correct. The dealer is trying to get rid of 2016 models because he thinks the 2017 is coming out soon. I think you are correct to wait. It may only be a week before we know for sure.

wrickcook said:
This was my first time ever getting a new vehicle. I was a bit disappointed I could not walk in, tell them what I wanted and have them order it for me.
(The good ol' days)

It certainly makes you think the Tesla sales model has a lot going for it from a consumer perspective. With no independent dealers in the middle they don't have to worry about the cost of the stock on the lot and can focus on getting the customer the car they choose.

blownb310 said:
All three of my local Kia dealers have two Soul EVs in stock. Garvey Kia in Queensbury, NY has a silver plus model with the sun and fun package. They've had it since November and it still hasn't moved off the lot.

She's a beauty. On the Kia site, I did try expanding my search out to 1000 mile range and saw one vehicle that was close. An EV+ with Sun & Fun in CT. Wrong color, but better looking to me than the black and red.

Makes me wonder if the EV+ has sold better in Atlanta than in the Northeastern US.

Thanks for the pictures!

Back