Winter tires on 15" rims

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tls1

Hi all,

My previous vehicle was a 2002 Honda CRV. I have 4 winter tires on Honda steel rims.

The original Kia tires are 205/60-16. My old tires are 205/70-15. According to tire comparison site. the originals are 25.7" diameter and the old are 26.3" diameter (2.3% increase).
When driving the speedo will show a little higher, from 0.5MPH to 2MPH (actual speed 20MPH - 90MPH). Its 90% city car (max 50MPH), so hardly noticable...

I also checked the bolt patterns. For the Soul EV it's 5-114.3mm (5 x 4.5"). And Same for the old 2002 CRV. So the bolts will line up. But will the guts of car (brake caliper, etc) fit inside the 15" rims?

Thoughts?

Regards,
Terry

tls1 said:
Hi all,

My previous vehicle was a 2002 Honda CRV. I have 4 winter tires on Honda steel rims.

The original Kia tires are 205/60-16. My old tires are 205/70-15. According to tire comparison site. the originals are 25.7" diameter and the old are 26.3" diameter (2.3% increase).
When driving the speedo will show a little higher, from 0.5MPH to 2MPH (actual speed 20MPH - 90MPH). Its 90% city car (max 50MPH), so hardly noticable...

I also checked the bolt patterns. For the Soul EV it's 5-114.3mm (5 x 4.5"). And Same for the old 2002 CRV. So the bolts will line up. But will the guts of car (brake caliper, etc) fit inside the 15" rims?

Thoughts?

Regards,
Terry

Hey,

Sounds like a repeat of my situation... but mine was even more close. I had an Elantra with identical offset and rim pattern, but 15" steel for my snows. I thought all would be well.. pulled a wheel off the Kia and tried to fit the 15" rim.. no luck. Hits the caliper. Had to buy a full set of new rubber and rims :cry:

I forgot to mention one thing... the bore hole...

On the CRV it is smaller than on the Soul. So the old rims will not fit...

Wanna buy some slightly used wheels and winters for a CRV?

Cheers!
Terry

The winter tyres is one thing, another thing affecting the range in the winter is the low temperature, and then the extra electrical demand of heating etc.

Here in Ottawa in the summer with summer tyres I get the rated 150km, on the coldest winter days with winter tyres I get 110km range.

tls1 said:
I think the range hit is about 10%

I left my winter tires on for a bit after the coldest months to see what the hit was like.. yes.. even at 15-20C or so, it's about a 10% hit due to the extra drag. Of course, this depends on the actual tire you have on your vehicle (tread pattern, composition, etc.) But a safe estimate is 10% worst case (probably between 5% and 10%).
I forget how smooth and quite this vehicle is with the factory rubber!

Back