Android Auto and Apple CarPlay almost here!

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm downloading now. For those who have not found it, look for the VIEW LATEST SOFTWARE link under your car on UVO. FYI, I had to refresh the page before I could see the link. I'm downloading now so I should be updated in the next 2 hours. I have cable internet so it is pretty fast and it is still saying it will take an hour to download, then another 40 minutes to update the car and it needs the SD card the whole time so I would recommend starting it when you have at least 2 hours where you won't have to drive your car.

Started the download with the SD card in my Mac this morning. Hopefully it'll be all ready to install when I get home from work. I'm excited!

I went home at lunch to retrieve the SD card following the download and installed it on my way back to the office.

The download was about 10GB and total file size was about 13GB after unzipping. SD card was reformatted before the unpacked files were installed onto it which had me suspect we're getting the latest map updates in addition to the CarPlay/AA functionality.

After installation (took about half an hour) I indeed have the newest mapping software. By tapping the little compass icon on the left side of the map I can now switch to 3D view!

I got the "Please check the update memory and try again" error. Now I don't have the update or nav!

Scheduled to take it in next week.

When playing music via USB after the CarPlay update the songs are stuttering from time to time.

I have done a hard reset on the head unit (via the little pen-hole button), reset the factory GPS to original settings, and restored my iPhone as new and reloaded all my stuff. The problem persists this morning.

Anyone else?

I didn't realize Android Auto needed USB connection to work. I have a wireless quick charger that I love too much. Hopefully bluetooth or wifi connectivity will come into play at some point.

I was able to apply the update and use Android auto...but I don't see the appeal of it. I can't access essential apps, like Plugshare, and it requires that Google Music be installed, although I will never use it. Although I understand that the purpose of it is to keep hands on wheels, there is too little information available at a glance. I like having two screens, with quick access to everything I need. Auto feels too restrictive.

I haven't played with Android Auto extensively, but so far I've found some nice things about it:

1. For me the ability to use Google Maps is a definite improvement over the Kia nav. The ability to touch the little microphone button and say "directions to Lincoln Park" is really nice.
2. The ability to have Google read texts that are received while driving is nice. You can also press the microphone button on the Kia screen and say things like "Text Bob Smith" and Google walks you through this. Not suggesting it's a good idea as it can still lead to distraction...
3. For music, I was given a variety of options, including Amazon Music, Google Music, and a few others.
4. Calendar shows up on the screen, which let's me see what meetings I'm going to be late for :)

The downsides for me are:
1. It requires that the phone be connected via USB to the car's USB input. This doesn't allow me to charge via my high speed charger (which plugs into the DC outlet, not the onboard USB outlet). Not the end of the world.
2. Phone is locked when using AA. I think this may be good in the long term as it means you're not tempted to check the phone, since it's locked.
3. This has only happened once, but everything lagged horribly for a minute before getting back up to speed (call came in, I pressed the answer button and everything kinda froze up for a minute). Might have just been a one-off issue, but I haven't used it enough to render an opinion I'd trust.

I haven't had the stuttering but I will say the music sounds better over BT and Android Auto seems to be a huge battery drain.

Back