40 amp vs. 75 amp L2

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptrs

My main question would be if there would be any advantage of installing a 240 volt 75 Amp EVSE over 40 Amp for the KIA Soul other than not having to upgrade in future?

I am designing the electrical for my garage for contractor to install and my research I found the 75 amp EVSE. Since we are upgrading the electrical box I will have the extra breaker space.

Any idea if the extra cost would be worth it?

Thank you.

I am NOT an electrician, but my layman's understanding is that a 75amp EVSE would be total overkill.

The Soul EV's maximum level 2 (240 volt) charging rate is 6.6kw/h. A 75amp EVSE can charge up to around 18 or 19 kw/h. Most 30 and 32 amp EVSE's (which require a 40 amp circuit) deliver 7.2 kw/h, which is more than enough for the Soul and way less expensive than a 75 amp model.

I also feel 75A is a major overkill. The Soul will not charge any faster.
Interesting table here showing the charge time vs. the max charge current available.
https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/TIME-TO-CHARGE-04272016-3.pdf

We decided AGAINST a very high Amp charger (went with the 24A) so as to not risk overloading our garage sub-panel. Last thing I want is the main breaker near the power meter to flip in the evening if I have laundry / dryer / dishwasher AND charger all going at the same time. Would be a major WAF (Wife Acceptation Factor) issue.

It makes sense if you plan to replace Kia with another EV in the future.
By then cars will have bigger packs and will be able to accept more power.

Very soon Chevy Bolt is coming out with 60 kWh and of course Tesla is pushing 100 kWh.
So 75 amps will be useful once you upgrade to a new car with a bigger pack.

I'd say not worth it for most drivers - here's why. Say some future EV has a 60kwh battery and can take the 75 amp charger. Even today's 40amp chargers can charge a 60kwh battery in roughly 8 hours - and you have to sleep sometime. The only advantage I see would be when you deplete the main battery (after driving roughly 200 miles) AND need to drive it again a significant distance within the next few hours.

In my experience my routine around town driving doesn't even get close to depleting my 100 mile range. When I go further I'm not using my home charger anyway.

Back