Aftermarket Level 3 charger installed?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peskygoat

Hi,
Apologies if this is a common question that has been answered (I searched but didn't find anything).
I was in the Kia dealership recently and am thinking about making the plunge. In Canada the base Soul EV doesn't come with the DC charger port, only the Level 1/2. I had thought the sales guy had said that you could have the DC port added in if you wanted.
Recently when I asked for a price it sounds like it's not possible - it's the base model without the DC port or the luxury model which carries a pricetag of several thousand more (and might be enough to price me out).
Is it possible to add the DC charger port to a base model Soul EV? If so, what is the approximate cost?
TIA!

Strange. I thought they all came with it.

It looks like the Kia.com (US) it is "standard" but on Kia.ca (CA) I see it is listed as feature of the Luxury version.

Even the lowest level EV-e (only sold in California) has the DC plug.

I strongly doubt it is possible to do as an aftermarket thing, there is a CAN bus connection between the BMS and the CHADEMO charger. This could require flashing different firmwares and things like that, which only Kia will have the capability to do. Given how few Soul EVs are around, nobody is going to develop this.

peskygoat said:
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Depending on your driving habits, the lack of a Level 3 charging port might actually be irrelevant so long as you have access to a level 2 charger on a daily basis either at home or at work.

Even if you have a lead foot driving style, in the Soul EV you should be able to average at least 90 miles of range in the summer and (even with living in Canada) at least 70 miles of range in the winter.

You just need to ask yourself realistically how often would you want to drive the car round trip more than this over the course of a day.
And, on top of that, you just need to ask yourself on how many of those occasions would you actually need the speed of a level 3 charger.

In my case, in the two years I drove a BMW i3 (which has a significantly lower range than the Kia Soul EV), I ended up having to use a charger other than my home charger about 6 or 7 times total, and on all but one of those occasions I would have been perfectly fine using a level 2 charger to get me enough charge to make it home in a reasonable amount of time.

tiburonh said:
peskygoat said:
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Depending on your driving habits, the lack of a Level 3 charging port might actually be irrelevant so long as you have access to a level 2 charger on a daily basis either at home or at work.

Even if you have a lead foot driving style, in the Soul EV you should be able to average at least 90 miles of range in the summer and (even with living in Canada) at least 70 miles of range in the winter.

You just need to ask yourself realistically how often would you want to drive the car round trip more than this over the course of a day.
And, on top of that, you just need to ask yourself on how many of those occasions would you actually need the speed of a level 3 charger.

In my case, in the two years I drove a BMW i3 (which has a significantly lower range than the Kia Soul EV), I ended up having to use a charger other than my home charger about 6 or 7 times total, and on all but one of those occasions I would have been perfectly fine using a level 2 charger to get me enough charge to make it home in a reasonable amount of time.

I think this is very accurate. I've also realized how few level 3 chargers there actually are in Canada. That said, they are building more and I figured it was a good thing to have as the technology develops. Plus, the government rebate is higher for the luxury trim making it not a whole lot more, payments-wise. So, I've settled on that and am awaiting delivery. First EV, so range anxiety begins!

peskygoat said:
Hi,
Apologies if this is a common question that has been answered (I searched but didn't find anything).
I was in the Kia dealership recently and am thinking about making the plunge. In Canada the base Soul EV doesn't come with the DC charger port, only the Level 1/2. I had thought the sales guy had said that you could have the DC port added in if you wanted.
Recently when I asked for a price it sounds like it's not possible - it's the base model without the DC port or the luxury model which carries a pricetag of several thousand more (and might be enough to price me out).
Is it possible to add the DC charger port to a base model Soul EV? If so, what is the approximate cost?
TIA!

Hi, my dealer told me that adding DC port will cost about 4000$, so the price of a base + DC is higher than a Luxury model. Not interesting when you buy a new car but an option if you are buying a used base model.

quebecguy63 said:
peskygoat said:
Hi,
TIA!

Hi, my dealer told me that adding DC port will cost about 4000$, so the price of a base + DC is higher than a Luxury model. Not interesting when you buy a new car but an option if you are buying a used base model.

Huh. So it is possible, just really not worth it. Thanks for the response!

peskygoat said:
First EV, so range anxiety begins!

Just get the PlugShare app on your smartphone or tablet and you will have reasonably up to date charge station information. In my experience the Kia GOM is reasonably accurate for speeds around 100kph (62mph) or slower and in fact, usually errs on the conservative side of things.

Back