Hyundai AE (All Electric) to be available before Chevy BOLT

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The korean IONIQ have 2 holes for charging ?
1 for slow charger and 1 for the fast charging ?
it's a chademo, the fast charging solution ?

i ask this because in my country, the (potential) buyers of IONIQ don't understand why it don't have a Chademo charging plug ... CCS (Type 2) don't really work now instead of Chademo that they are pretty commun (and reliable).

-
In Korea the I ONIQ EV has 2 holes for charging -- yes
1 for slow c harger and 1 for the Chademo fast charging -- yes

Most of the cars here use Chademo. Even the Tes la will come with a Chademo adapter.
Every fast c harger has Chademo. Some also have AC3 for Renault, and some have CCS for BMW.
Even the electric buses here use Chademo.

We get Chademo. Everywhere else does not. I don't know why. I don't know which of the 2 sockets is kept for the CCS elsewhere.

JejuSoul said:
I don't know which of the 2 sockets is kept for the CCS elsewhere.

The CCS cars only keep the rear port. I'd prefer the location on the front fender, personally, like I had on my Volts. It seems the only models that get the front fender port are the PHEV and the CHAdeMO (ROK only?) cars.

hyundai-ioniq-electrique-geneve-0031-1024x683.jpg

2017-Hyundai-Ioniq-Electric-charging-port.jpg

-
Title of this thread - Hyundai AE (All Electric) to be available before Chevy B OLT

Well the Chevy B OLT got its EPA rating today. 238 miles. The Hyundai I oniq EV hasn't got its rating in the US yet. The rating in Korea (based on the EPA) is 119 miles. Exactly half.
If the Hyundai I oniq EV has an LG Chem battery of 28kWh does that mean the Chevy B OLT has 56 kWh (usable capacity - same LG Chem battery ).

A lot of the tech and UI in these 2 cars seems remarkably similar. LG Chem did the electronics for GM. It seems they may have outsourced to the same contractors that Hyundai used.
With only half the battery Hyundai is going to have make this car far cheaper than the B olt for it to appeal.

Also just learned that the Hyundai AE codename is actually the I oniq Hybrid. The Hyundai I oniq EV is codenamed AE_EV.

Have posted info about the battery layout in the I oniq EV in a separate thread- Comparing the Soul EV battery with the Ioniq EV

Thanks for sharing your trip photos. You concluded by saying 'I don't have and won't be getting an Ioniq EV. I do have and will be keeping a Soul EV.' -- I'm sure we would all like to hear you elaborate.

tractioninc said:
'I don't have and won't be getting an I oniq EV. I do have and will be keeping a Soul EV.' -- I'm sure we would all like to hear you elaborate.
Okay.

The I oniq EV is a good car and may work well for many people. The best part about it is that it has excellent efficiency. It is by far the most energy efficient mass production EV. This is particularly true at freeway speeds. The disappointment is the battery size. Almost everyone is going to compare this car with the LG Bolt, and having only 50% of the battery capacity seems like a show-stopper.

I am comparing using the AVTA data which I analysed here - Comparison Of Fuel Economy for Battery Electric Vehicles
and my own trip data which I discuss here - High speed power use test

I live on an island. My journeys are short and slow. I have never had range anxiety in any season or weather conditions. That the I oniq EV may be 20% more efficient at these slow speeds than the Soul EV is not so important in my case. The greater battery pack of the LG B olt is actually a negative on the island, because you would be hauling all that extra weight which you never have need for.

The trade off to reduce drag on the I oniq EV is a low sloping rear roof. Tall adults do not fit in the back of an I oniq. For me it is more common to drive with 4 adults in the car than to take the car off the island to do a lengthy road trip.

An opinion which I won't be able to prove for another 10 years is that the SK Innovation battery in the Soul EV will last much longer.

Thanks, that makes sense. An Ioniq might be a better fit for my lifestyle than yours as I never put adults in the back seat of my car and my 60 km daily commute includes driving in traffic that's moving at 120+ kph. Unfortunately for Hyundai/Kia, when my Soul EV lease expires the Tesla Model 3 will likely be on the market... I can't see myself choosing an Ioniq (or Bolt) over one of those.

-
Update 19/10/16: Am not sure what is really going with the sales figures. Hyundai now claims 4000 cars have been ordered in Korea. 1300 delivered and 2700 waiting. It is suggested that production took a hit because of strikes and typhoons. Many cars are already on their way to Europe but from now on exports will be halted while the Korean backlog is filled.

-------------------------------------------

Am 'hiding' the dismal sales figures for the I oniq EV so as not to bias the concluding article to my road trip series.

June 2016 - 131
July 2016 - 574
August 2016 - 270
September - 156

After the initial rush, which came from the 900 cars pre-ordered in March at the Jeju EV expo, demand for this car seems to have crashed. They were hoping for 1000 a month.

I just added some info and comments on the IONIQ forum about the new safety features - 1750km Test Drive in Ioniq Electric.
(Optional Safety Package adds the radar. AEB, BSD, RCTA, LCA, LDWS, and LKAS)
I believe these features will all be added as an option for the MY2018 Soul EV.

A list of the topics covered on the Ioniq EV -
1/ Overview
2/ Charging
3/ Servicing
4/ Range and Efficiency
5/ Interior
6/ Safety features
7/ Marketing

Am currently trying to write a conclusion. I want to write a positive ending to this, but am struggling to find good reasons why anyone would actually buy this car. It is a great car in so many respects but only has half the battery capacity of what seems to be its main competitor. Does anyone have thoughts on who Hyundai is aiming this car at?

---------------------------------

It seems there has been a change of strategy at Hyundai. The focus is moving away from the Ioniq. They are now heading for an SUV with a mileage that is over 320km with just single charge in 2018.

This article also confirms the Niro EV and Niro PHEV, without giving a date.

Hyundai Motor Company to Come Out with a New Brand of Eco-Friendly Vehicle in 2018

-
Have been looking through the The English Owner's Manual for the I oniq EV - https://carmanuals2.com/get/hyundai-ioniq-electric-2017-owner-s-manual-101276

A couple of things Soul EV users may find interesting.

New Charging and Climate settings page. You set the timer with the time you are leaving for both climate and charge on a single page.

15dknkg.jpg

The 12V battery is now charged once every 3 days from the EV battery to prevent it failing. So no need to turn the car fully off when you go on vacation.

8x1ve8.jpg

curious whats inside the off peak tariffs settings

do you think the soul ev can be updated to these controls in its current model?

The two pages linked from the charge timer page are

sbrc5e.jpg

420.jpg

I do expect these changes to be included in the MY2018 Soul EV.
I hope and assume they will not be applied to our earlier cars. The big change is that they have removed the option for charging to 80%.
They will do this to 'game' the EPA ratings. By doing this the MY2018 Soul EV will gain a fictitious 15km extra range in the advertised stats.

Another new settings page sets the required charging current.

wcbebq.jpg

-
Have added another section about the Cluster Display to my review of the I oniq - http://myioniq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73&start=10#p568

The new software is much better and has more options than the leaves on the tree we get with the Soul EV. for example.

2060w0w.jpg

-
An article about battery upgrade for the I oniq EV - http://www.etnews.com/20161028000555

It states there will be a 50% increase in capacity in 2018.
An increase from 28kWh to between 40kWh and 44kWh. (I wonder why they didn't just say around 42kWh)

They state the range will increase from 191km to 320km (119 miles to 200miles). This is greater than a 50% increase. These numbers are on the Korean scale which is close to the EPA values. Not the European NEDC.

It also gives a higher number for fuel economy than was previously reported. 136MPGe

Am not sure why they would announce this upgrade so long in advance since it will hurt current sales. Perhaps the MY2017 will never be released in North America. Kia seems to have been hurt more by not announcing any future intentions for their Soul EV. In the fast moving tech world if you don't announce future improvements people assume it is a product that is out of date and will be discontinued.

it confirm this : https://ev-sales.blogspot.fr/2016/10/upcoming-bev-arrivals-updated.html

2018 Hyundai Ioniq BEV (40 kWh?) - Late 2017;

2017 Kia Soul EV (36 kWh) - January 2017;

Earlier on this thread I wrote this:
JejuSoul said:
Even though the IONIQ EV and the Chevy Bolt both have LG Chem battery packs the pack structure and the actual cells seem to be quite different. (Note the word seem - it is very hard to get any accurate info about the battery pack from Hyundai)

The IONIQ EV has a battery pack by LG Chem.
It has 192 polymer pouch type cells laid out in a series string of 96 sets of 2 parallel cells.
The IONIQ EV battery pack is 31 kWh and weighs 271.8kg -> Gravimetric Energy Density = 114 Wh/kg

The Chevy Bolt also has a battery pack by LG Chem.
It has 288 polymer pouch type cells laid out in a series string of 96 sets of 3 parallel cells.
The 2017 Bolt battery pack is 60 kWh and weighs 435kg -> Gravimetric Energy Density = 138 Wh/kg

I now have to reconsider because it seems the Bolt has 60 kWh usable capacity not 60 kWh total capacity as I wrongly assumed.
Making a rough guess that the actual total capacity is 66kWh then
The 2017 Bolt battery pack is 66 kWh and weighs 435kg -> Gravimetric Energy Density ~ 150 Wh/kg
This makes the Bolt cells better than previously assumed. This value is for the pack. The Bolt EV has a liquid cooled pack, so it is heavier than a comparable air cooled pack. I assume now that the Bolt is using cells that have a roughly 50% better energy density than the Ioniq.

As I commented above next year the Ioniq EV will get a 50% increase in battery capacity. I assume they will fit into the same volume as the current battery pack. This makes sense when we see those better cells already exist, and are already in production. The puzzle is why did Hyundai use the inferior cell at all. Why not go straight to the new cell.

-
Here is the boot of the I oniq EV with the covers removed. The silver pipe leading to the side is the outlet air duct for the battery cooling fan. In the Soul EV the outlet air duct pipes straight into this space. I wonder if there is any advantage piping the air to the side. ( Will add the Soul EV picture later.)

20161103_213156kbljb.jpg

Here's a video of Kia Soul EV battery cooling fan operation while L2 charging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoWRlH1bTuc

Plenty of pictures from the Bjorn Nyland Test drive in Cold country.

http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/hyundai-ionic-electrique/essai-hivernal-de-la-ioniq-sur-1010km-par-bjorn-nyland-s-t6451.html

ZQmZoo.jpg

ylt8Ao.jpg

fpIrdW.jpg

LUriAh.jpg

V206MO.jpg

5ingWs.jpg

LaStL8.jpg

EbPTxW.jpg

w8ll4d.jpg

Back