Safest method of opening charging door that is stuck

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slobodanc

1st snow and sure enough the charging door won't open.
I struggled a bit using a plastic pick to clean snow/ice around the door but still took several tries to open it.

So what is your safest (avoid damage) method of opening charging door in winter?

thanks

After have opened this door, apply somes TALC (baby powder) on rubber seal.

DyTsyC.jpg

For informations, only the rubber seal is the problem ... not the latch for unlock.
You can check this from the engine box (next to the ACID 12v battery).

m3d9Ik.jpg

slobodanc said:
1st snow and sure enough the charging door won't open.

take a Hot water pan and splash this on the door ... Canadian method. :mrgreen:
use a thermometer to control the temperature of water (less than 60°C).

not an exemple but it's the same result : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85-TDRVm34I

You can use a heat gun, too ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9OGa9vB42Q

Hmmm TALC is interesting.
How often do I have to apply it? Every day?

How much time does "heat gun" need? Is it powered by 12V?
Never used a heat gun before so ...

You need 2 people, one pressing the button and one pulling out on the edge of the door that's at the middle of the car. Alternatively pop the hood and use the emergency charging door release if you are by yourself.

slobodanc said:
Hmmm TALC is interesting.
How often do I have to apply it? Every day?

How much time does "heat gun" need? Is it powered by 12V?
Never used a heat gun before so ...

1) 1 time every year (i use it since 15 years on many "car" or "other truck").
but the problem is ... you charge on open sky or not ?

Because, the charging door is always open with the rubber seal unprotected from the wind.

2) heat gun is an emergency tool : 1000w or 2000w power usually (only 230v AC).

Most of the time charging in garage, so protected from weather.
However sometimes I also charge outside at a library, not protected.

Actually another option I am looking at is silicon grease. This is the type that won't harm rubber seal.
Thoughts?

I'm not finding it sticking to the rubber, more just gunked up around the join with all the snow and slush.

If you google for "rubber door seal lubricant" there are various threads on the Internet. Basically you need something with silicone and no petroleum.

slobodanc said:
Actually another option I am looking at is silicon grease. This is the type that won't harm rubber seal.

yes but ... grease is saturate with pollution component of the road = black mark on shirt/hand.
good point : better resistance to wind+rain instead of talc when the charging door is open.

you must test because of your location.

for me, talc is more economic and neutral (no mark or problem to wash the rubber/hole for water runoff) than grease.

Wow this door design is terrible in winter.
We had snow almost every day this week.
Every single time the snow and slush fills the groove around the door. And even while it is not solid (temp is around freezing) but more slushy melting snow, it is still enough to block it.

I found a plastic tool from a kids toy in the shape of screw driver with the small tip around 2-3 mm
I use this tip to push out snow from the groove without making any scratches. I find that while snow is melting and/or soft, it works well and door can be opened fairly easily after cleaning the groove.

However from time to time we get freezing rain. Also at colder temps like -10 and -20 C it may be more difficult. Not to mention having to do fiddle with this little tool while wearing gloves.

Ugh

Amazon has a 12V hair dryer/defroster and I have a spare 12V battery so I may have to get it, not sure.
The car's 180W port is just enough to handle this defroster.

do people drive around with these flapping in the wind?

as far as the door.. has anyone tried tying on a small string or strap that slips out the front kind of like those battery pullers so you can pull the door out?

Oh wow great idea.

Although it would have to be fairly thin to fit and not interfere with the door closing.
Still should work great.
We have the 1st weather forecast for freezing rain tonight :(
Will try this out for sure.

thanks

My charging door was frozen shut a few days ago. When it warmed a bit, it opened but now it won't stay closed. I don't see any ice build up and can't figure out why it won't stay shut. Any ideas?

ice is located in the rubber.
but you can have a mecanical lock froozed, too ...

Kia Plug Door have 3 locks (1 at right and 2 on the left).

Is anyone still having issues with this? I have a 2018, and throughout the winter I had gotten used to having to clear out ice, slush and snow before closing the door, and usually having a 2 man operation to open the door (my wife pressing on the button, while I punch the door to loosen it from the seal). However, now that the ugly weather is nearly gone, I'm still experiencing these issues and the charge door almost never opens on its own. Anyone have a solution to this, or have talked to their dealership about this? We are due for our first service soon and will be bringing this up, but I wanted to see what other people's experiences were as well.

I joined this forum solely to find a solution to this issue! I have this problem regardless of weather and thought of rubbing a lubricant on the door edges. I pray often for whomever designed this latch ;-)

Back