Ontario EVCO

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nibularr said:
the updated installation MAP

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-chargers-ontario.shtml

news article involved

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/07/electric-vehicle-charging-stations-coming-soon.html

This is great news, thanks for posting.
Hopefully some of these will be up and running before the end of summer...
Wonder what the rates to charge will be?

Some of the ones around Ottawa will be from the Electric Circuit and I believe their rates will be the same as the ones currently in Quebec. For level 3 they charge by the minute you are plugged in at $10 per hour, so for a 30 minute charge that would be $5.

N.B. They charge by how long you are plugged in, not how long the car is drawing power. If you wander off for an hour you will be charged the $10 for the hour that you were plugged in, not $5 for the electricity the car used before being fully charged. I like this model, should encourage people to unplug and let others use the charger quicker.

kinda concerning that not one of these seems to be installed yet...

i wouldn't think they would want to build these during the winter given the march deadline.

nibularr said:
kinda concerning that not one of these seems to be installed yet...

i wouldn't think they would want to build these during the winter given the march deadline.

Haha yeah no kidding.. you'd think these would be installed for the summer road trip season.. which is now almost over.

I wonder what the delay is, and why the near complete lack of information, details and updates. Oh wait... Pretty much spot on with the incumbent government's record ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/electric-car-hybrid-natural-resources-liberal-campaign-promise-charging-station-1.3725370

A project to replace the minister's gas-guzzling Chrysler 300 with a plug-in electric car has been abandoned, after officials decided Ottawa doesn't have enough charging facilities.

wow maybe they should start building some of these EVCO charging locations....

nibularr said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/electric-car-hybrid-natural-resources-liberal-campaign-promise-charging-station-1.3725370

A project to replace the minister's gas-guzzling Chrysler 300 with a plug-in electric car has been abandoned, after officials decided Ottawa doesn't have enough charging facilities.

wow maybe they should start building some of these EVCO charging locations....

More evidence that our "liberal" governments are all talk and no walk when it comes to both "green" initiatives and promoting electric vehicles. If they are our best hope I dread to think what the other parties wouldn't do.

I believe Ontarians like to think of themselves as quite progressive; however the evidence does not support this. Read the moronic comments on that Cbc article to see what I mean. The movie "Idiocracy" comes to mind.

I the meantime, cities like Detroit have more fast chargers than Toronto (which in the actual city limits has a grand total of ZERO).

For fun I did some per capita fast charger calculations for all provinces and states with a population as high or higher than BC. For comparative purposes, that figure was 0.36 fast chargers per million people in Ontario. We are by far the lowest served in North America for jurisdictions with at least 4.7 million people. Next up the list? Alabama with 1.02 fast chargers per million people.

SJHC - DCFC - Tranquility Entrance
30 The Queensway, Toronto, ON, M6R 1B5
CHAdeMO & CCS Combo

https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/94233

I went there to make sure it was operational.

part of the EVCO
Central Planned St. Joseph's Health Centre JML Electric 30 The Queensway Toronto ON 4 1

says $7.50 per session.

spotted on facebook some info regarding more of these charger installs
same people that did the etobicoke hospital.. but at least its more?

*NEWFLASH** - JML Electric has just achieved another EVCO Program site. Successful bidder with Oxford County for L3's and L2's in Ingersoll and Woodstock! The first of many more in this forward thinking Ontario Community...

Paul : Are you saying the ones planned for Woodstock are installed and operational?

September 14 at 1:41pm
JML Electric Inc. No - JML just today won the sale and install of the facilities in Woodstock and Ingersoll, ON. One(1) DCFC L3 and two(2) L2's in each locale. Will be complete by early December (if not sooner)...

nibularr said:
spotted on facebook some info regarding more of these charger installs
same people that did the etobicoke hospital.. but at least its more?

*NEWFLASH** - JML Electric has just achieved another EVCO Program site. Successful bidder with Oxford County for L3's and L2's in Ingersoll and Woodstock! The first of many more in this forward thinking Ontario Community...

Paul : Are you saying the ones planned for Woodstock are installed and operational?

September 14 at 1:41pm
JML Electric Inc. No - JML just today won the sale and install of the facilities in Woodstock and Ingersoll, ON. One(1) DCFC L3 and two(2) L2's in each locale. Will be complete by early December (if not sooner)...

Thanks for the update. Glad as I am to hear of ANYTHING actually being done on this project, I find it disturbing that almost nothing has actually been done (other than lots of talk and hype).

It shouldn't take this long to install fairly simple infrastructure. It's not like they have to invent anything here.. Everything is already available off the shelf, and best practices can be observed in other jurisdictions to use as a model if necessary. Far too much red tape - permits, regulations, local utility pushback, environmental assessments - all the wholly unproductive things that make it near to impossible to get anything done in this province in a reasonable amount of time and at a reasonable cost.

Heck, even Ikea hasn't started anything on this, and they were awarded almost $1m if my memory serves me correctly.

I believe there was a far better way to roll out charging infrastructure. Since we already have gas stations everywhere and most of these are in areas with high capacity electrical lines, and with other supporting amenities nearby (coffee, restaurants etc), why not change the environmental assessment and permitting process as follows:

- All gas stations with over a certain number of pumps will be required to have X number of fast chargers

- Make compliance with the installation and operating ratio a condition of obtaining the necessary business and environmental permit for the gas station

- Provide some of this grant money to the station owner to help cover the initial cost of installation, or perhaps tax rebates in the form of accelerated amortization (cca) on the infrastructure installed

- Cancel the business and environmental permits for any station while in non compliance

Done.

for anyone heading north
doesnt seem to be on the chargepoint map yet

First @ChargePointnet CPE200 50 KW DC quick charger installed in Port Severn
PART OF THE EVCO

https://twitter.com/autochargersca/status/786031897335898112?s=09

also noted from facebook

JML Electric Inc.
October 7 at 1:38pm ·
Seems JML has bagged yet another large build out... This, in addition to our recently announced Oxford County(Ingersoll & Woodstock) 'win'...
We will be undertaking numerous L3 & L2 chargers for Peterborough Distribution Incorporated (PDI) Utilities in concert with Xergy Energy over the next few weeks. This, with a view towards getting all things wrapped up before the major snow flies!!
These two entities know to turn to the best and most experienced provider as evidenced in this 'snipped' part of the notification >> "All parties involved were impressed with not only your price point, but massive and unparalleled experience. We are confident that your team will be crucial to the success of a timely deployment of the EV stations".
Thank you all for the faith in us. Joe, Dave and the JML Team

Montreal at it again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-increase-electric-car-charging-stations-1.3845436

City of Montreal amps up electric car charging network
Fifty new charging stations will be installed across seven boroughs. The new stations will provide 100 spots for drivers to charge their electric vehicle.

As of August 2016, there were 1,468 electric vehicles registered in Montreal according to documents from the Quebec association of Electric Vehicles.

Guessing most live in the outskirts ?

on another note seems very quiet with the koben systems inc people for the evco
you think they would have built at least 1 of the 337 they are suppose to be putting in
taken the money and ran?

Yeah no kidding.

Why the heck did the province give the money all up front. Things don't usually work that way.

Think of bank construction loans, released as a project progresses.. To stop that very sort of thing from happening. Disturbing that taxpayer money was handled in such a loose manner. I'm all for funding this stuff, but the money should have been distributed AFTER proof of install and functional station.

And, now that winter is coming, how do you suppose any of these are going to be installed prior to the March 31 deadline?

Ugh

So I noticed this on the Evco webpage.. don't think it was there before....

Note: All of the above stations are currently planned and up to March 31, 2017, may be subject to change.

No wonder every one is quiet about it, seems delay notice coming next.

Haha, yeah I noticed that too, but I tried not to think about it ;)

What a gong show. This isn't complicated and it has been done elsewhere (installing L3 chargers).

How is it that BC and Quebec, both smaller provinces in terms of population and economics, have been able to LAP us on this?

What is it about Ontario that we should have such complete cr_p auto infrastructure, doubly so for EV charging?

looks like there may be some progress at ikea Etobicoke

Notice the extra large power line...

8l2Mhdi.jpg

Some photos were added to a Vaughan location

http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/100445

This one is listed on Evco for Kai
But the interesting thing is it was for 2 levels 2s and 1 level 3.... But per the picture you can see 2 level 3 and multi level 2s

Also one of the Tesla users at the Woodstock supercharger took a photo of a Flo level 3 next to the superchargers

Not part of the Evco system but rapid chargers anounced, canadian tire via Flo network 25 of them.... Shows being charged at $20 an hour. Seems you would need to be stuck to pony up $10 on a 30 min charge. They just turned EV pricing into gas market prices. The ontario effect since all the Flo chargers in Quebec are $10 an hour now Evco are starting at $15 and these 25 will be $20

Why would I stop 3 times on the way to Kingston and add an extra 1.5 possibly, when it's the same price to take our minivan straight through.
Can't say it's enticing me to leave the city

I've come to a conclusion. It is because Ontario "planners" are:

A) Dumber than a bag of hammers

and / or

B) Greedy as F###.

And to answer your rehetorical question, you wouldn't. You'd take the minivan and have zero range anxiety, more comfort, and more route options.

I'm an EV enthusiast but it's hard to recommend the tech when our completely inept, greedy, corrupt provincial gov seems intent on crippling the movement from the word go. And the opposition isn't much better. Great. Ugh.

Back