Charging Fault error.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
be carefull, the 7,3kW is a costly option in the first i3 (20kWh) like the multiple-phase charger at 11kW (tri-phase 11kW and single-phase 7,3kW charger like form of dedicated charger of the renault zoe).

- provided : 3,7kW single phase
- option 1 : 7,3kW single phase
- option 2 : 7,3kW single-phase + 11kW three-phase (multi-phase option charger)

the general i3 have been provided with the 3,7kW charger (and 2,3 kW domestic cable like other electric car for home plug).

on gen2 of i3 (33kWh), the 7,3kW charger is a standard.

i suspect that they already known the short life of the gen1 in 7,3kW configuration.
probably, the 3,7kW is the 7,3kW charger reduced (software setting).
that's why the charger always work in a "degraded" mode with the 7,3kW costly option.

JejuSoul said:
Birkeland, sorry for laughing at your misfortune earlier. I would still like to know what version they put into your car.

Hehe.. No problem, I would laugh too if it was you:)

Sorry about late reply. Busy days these days.

I finally got my version number on my new OBC: V12.2E

2ng7l1k.jpg

Unfortuenately, my new OBC also charges slower for sure. Earlier it charged at 10A when using my 10A charger, so it is now about 15% slower. My 6,6kW charger is still broken, so I don't have the new numbers when charging with it. 15% is really noticeably slower (it shows between 8,4A and 8,7A when charging). Its actually quite annoying. The dealership didn't know about the slower charging on the newer Soul EVs or older EVs with replaced OBC.

58bx0.jpg

In Europa, the official corded Kia EVSE supply with the car is a 1,8kW (8,3A) setting. ;)
You must probably set a new instruction on your EVSE charger at home.

But the point is : it's strange and it validate the point of JejuSoul from 7kW to 6,6kW reducted power of the 2014-2015 charger and the 2016 charger for the Soul EV.

A summary of the 6 failed OBCs that we have version data from so far. (Failed Version number and Build Date : Replaced Version number and Build Date )
Code:
unknown:  V8.1R -  June 2014     :               V12.2R -  Feb 2016
jysl:           V10.1R -  July 2014     :              ?
ricardar:     V10.1R -  August 2014     :          V12.2R -  June 2016
Birkeland:   V10.1E -  December 2014     :    V12.2E -  July 2016
GizmoEV:   V11.1R - March 2015      :      V14.1R -  Sep 2016
nibularr:      V12.2R - November 2015     :     V12.2R -  May 2016

These version numbers we have not seen fail yet.
Code:
Birkeland - new :    V12.2E -  July 2016
unknown:    P14.1R -  Sep 2016

The OBC dates seem to follow the Model Years.
My assumption is that the P14.1R is the fixed version.
What the difference is between the R and E variants is I don't know. They are mixed up in terms of build date. One kind does not precede the other.
Code:
MY2014 - V8.1R
MY2015 -  V10.1R and  V10.1E and V11.1R
MY2016 -  V12.2R and V12.2E
MY2017 - P14.1R

Kevin from Concord KIA just inform me that the OBC is on national back-order with ETA mid JAN.

Hi,

Just another OBC fault (Madrid, Spain)

From what I've read in this forum my case is the earliest to occur and not just the charger refusing to charge but also tripping the breakers.

I got the car from the dealer on Dec 2, just 18 days ago, made 690 km and only charged L1 with the Kia provided 10A EVSE.

Last night, while charging as usual, the OBC failed and tripped all the three circuit breakers on the line (32A, 32A and 40A).
In the morning I tried restarting the charging with the same result: loudly tripping all breakers like in a short circuit. The car display showed the "Charger error" message.

I took the car to the dealer. They tried charging with my EVSE and also with their own always tripping the workshop breakers. So they decided to keep it.

Sorry I didn´t take a picture of the stickers, I just went in a rush to the dealer. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

One of the employees told me that it was the first case of a faulty OBC and another one told me that mine was the second case: not a very reliable information... but no surprise at all because I've noticed that many emplyees don't know much about the EV. Some even confuse the EVSE with the OBC.

Best regards,

Rafael

perhaps a new case in France : problem, it's a november 2016 version. :?
http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/kia-soul-ev/ma-kia-n-a-pas-charge-cette-nuit-t6435.html

investigations in progress ...

Oh dear, both of these new reports look like the same OBC charging fault error, and both seem to be from MY2017 cars.
We'll have to wait to get a photo to see whether the failed OBC is one of the new V14s or the older v12.
What is upsetting is that recent reports sound even worse than the older ones.
This is the first time we have heard " ... always tripping the workshop breakers...", and goes with the report from Canada about a faulty OBC, "...smoking a B osch c harger.."

It is possible to find the version number of the original OBC even after the replacement.
There is a sticker on the EPCU, which is the unit above the OBC, directly underneath the plastic cover. You have to pop off the cover to see it.
Here's a photo of mine. (built March 2015). I still have the original OBC underneath this.

img_20161218_121457e5sdv.jpg

and here's Birkeland's (built January 2015). His original OBC failed and has been replaced.
I've marked the 3 metal struts that the plastic cover sits on. If you lift up gently the connectors just pop out, and then you can remove the cover .

8yhr1h6dsel.png

The sticker on the right is from Yura Corporation. They are a Korean company that make the wiring harnesses.
See Yura Corporation marketing brochure Moving Forward

yuracorpsuska.png

I just noticed that the MY2017 seems to have a redesigned plastic cover. I have no idea if the info above still applies.
Maybe the photo below is just a Photoshopped image for a marketing shot. I have never seen a 2017.
Although I am guessing the MY2016 was still the same.

img4-1dtsnl.jpg

Hi from Madrid, Spain.

This morning I went to the Kia dealer to take picture of the stickers.

The dealer told me that they are going to replace the OBC. Also said that there is a campaign, not yet made public, to replace the OBC... but I don't really understand what he meant... Are they going to call all the EVs? Change the OBC as they fail or when cars come for the scheduled service?

From the dealer's emplyee body language it was clear he didin't like much the idea of me comming to take pictures of the OBC, so he standed breathing down my neck while I was trying to take the pictures. My phone's camera is a piece of junk and to make things worse I had to use the flash. I couldn't get a picture of the version number, just the following data (only on the front sticker because I took random pictures of the back side and couldn't see any)

Dawoo Electronic Components
Date: 20150728
Lot: 150726MC

There is no lot sequence info nor corean caracters printed. BTW, the sticker looks like eons old.

I'm sorry for not contributing with some useful info.

Thanks RafaelP, that info is useful. Even though you bought the car in Dec 2016, it was manufactured in July 2015. It isn't a case of a new OBC failing. Yours is probably v12.2R which is the one that has failed most often before. Did you buy a new car? Or is it an ex-dealer demo car. With an EV I would be annoyed if they sold me a new car that was 16 months old.
Also the details about the recall are exactly what we are hearing from elsewhere. It is not being announced, We cannot just turn up and get a working OBC replaced when we want.

----------------------------------------------------------

Also just noticed this. These OBCs are both v12.2R. Before Nov 2015 and after May 2016. Both have the same part number. (36400-0E040)

2kiQOjq.jpg

But this one v12.2E is from Jan 2016 and has a different part number. (36400-0E240). There's another v12.2E higher up on this page from July 2016

NWZ5Sp.jpg

Here is v10.1E from Jan 2015 with part number (36400-0E240). I have highlighted the differences between this E version and the R versions.
Elmil said:
This should be at the OBC fail thread, but still, I compared my labels to those in that thread, and I noticed that the numbers probably being P/N are different on my OBC. The label on the back has these numbers:

36400-0E240
E010010401
MANDO V10.1E 15A01

What the difference is between the R and E variants is I don't know. They are mixed up in terms of build date. One kind does not precede the other.

I just picked up my White 2016 Soul EV+ from the shop today. It went into the shop on December 5 and was ready yesterday afternoon, December 20. Here is a composite of the three stickers from the two OBCs.
y3m1eW-JiEogk3A5OVPnAT6GuF09mGeixXbxACs0I3NsMFACi3pG6shoHD7sWLbH5g0_5M0zlizy7l9Bm1MQ7DQR3Kr8670UeROh6aSBxby1vYYk5cCOWkBN0N7q9xQ4HFkxpmj2CbbiMFY9o3eymiQXCiUu1CNNq3GmEXmVZohfXk

Jeju, what does the top right label say at the bottom? Is it Daewoo or another company name?

I need to go check the charge rate on this new OBC to see how it compares to the old one.

EDIT: I just checked the charge rate on my 20A EVSE and it charges at 18.5A just like the V12.2R charger in my Blue Soul.

GizmoEV said:
Jeju, what does the top right label say at the bottom? Is it Daewoo or another company name?
It says Daewoo.

You have the new v14.1R OBC.
It charges at the same level as a MY2016 v12.1R. Can you check what version of the Torque Pro codes it uses.
How fast did the older v11.1R charge?
My car has a v11.1R - we now know they fail too.

Checking the previous posts I am a bit confused by the charging speeds. You have a MY2016, I have a MY2015 - but the OBC is the same.
You wrote on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:19 pm - Soul's charger allowing less amps. This is the car that failed, which had an OBC the same as mine. But mine charges at full speed.
Could you post the last 4 digits of your VIN. It should be between mine 4294 and Siluzium's 4683

GizmoEV said:
I found the same thing. I wondered why the L1 Kia EVSE took longer than the displayed charge time before charging. I measured the actual current and discovered that the car charges at a bit lower rate than what the EVSE tells it it can have..

Here is the data from my car charging from a 16A stand.

photo_2016-12-22_15-2vzse4.jpg

Hi all,

Yes jejuSoul, I'll be quite upset with the snake oil salesman of a dealer I have if the car has been stocked for so long.

I bought a new car, no second hand, exhibition or pre used, just a brand new car. They never told me it was going to be a car stocked for such a long time.

When received it had almost 9 Km on the odometer.

The VINs last digits are 7008390 and in a VIN decoder page it says "Check: F" "Year: 2016"

I would like to know the factory production day of the car which is not necessarily the same as the OBC date.

JejuSoul, using my VIN can you guess a production date for the car?

RafaelP said:
The VINs last digits are 7008390
VIN #8390 would be about October 2015. There were 5,000 Soul EV's produced in the year from June 2014, and 10,000 after that.
So the build date is 2 or 3 months after the OBC was produced.
The car probably left for Europe in November and arrived in January.
Maybe got to Spain in February, and sat for 9 months before you bought it.
For any other car than an EV, that is normal, and of no consequence.
For an EV that wait does allow the battery to deteriorate.
You'll still have SOH 100% for another year or so, after that it depends more on how you use the car in the meantime, than that initial loss from sitting unbought.

JejuSoul said:
I just noticed that the MY2017 seems to have a redesigned plastic cover. I have no idea if the info above still applies.
Maybe the photo below is just a Photoshopped image for a marketing shot. I have never seen a 2017.
Although I am guessing the MY2016 was still the same.

-picture of black cover-

found : http://www.autobild.de/artikel/kia-soul-ev-fahrbericht-und-preis-4561813.html

2014 demo car source. :|

Hi,

Thank you JejuSoul. Once I get my car back I'll try to get a straight answer from the dealer about the manufacture date.

Best regards,

Rafael

JejuSoul said:
You have the new v14.1R OBC.
It charges at the same level as a MY2016 v12.1R. Can you check what version of the Torque Pro codes it uses.
How do I check the version of the Torque Pro codes? I'm using what SoulEV2016 posted. IIRC, I've only made modifications to the energy use rate so it displays mi/kWh.

How fast did the older v11.1R charge?
It charged at 18.4A as measured by a clamp meter on the line going to the EVSE. IIRC, that is what Torque Pro displayed as well. The difference could be just error in measurement.

Checking the previous posts I am a bit confused by the charging speeds. You have a MY2016, I have a MY2015 - but the OBC is the same.
You wrote on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:19 pm - Soul's charger allowing less amps. This is the car that failed, which had an OBC the same as mine. But mine charges at full speed.
Could you post the last 4 digits of your VIN. It should be between mine 4294 and Siluzium's 4683
The one with the failed OBC is 4658 and the used one I just picked up with a v12.2R OBC is 5073

GizmoEV said:
I found the same thing. I wondered why the L1 Kia EVSE took longer than the displayed charge time before charging. I measured the actual current and discovered that the car charges at a bit lower rate than what the EVSE tells it it can have..

The thing I noticed when taking those measurements is that I saw my meter spike to 21A when charging started and then drop back to 18.4A. I'll have to take measurements again to see if it has the same spike. I'll also try to test on a 30A+ station and see what the full speed charge rate is.

I forgot to mention that the repair ticket said that the error code was P1CF5 OBC Grid Check. This might explain why the error the car gave was something about an external charger error. Also, I saw the cost of the repair on one of the pages I had to sign. The OBC was just over $2400 and the labor was just over $200.

Back