Charging Fault error.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nibularr said:
I wonder what the different in the P instead of V
Thanks. I hadn't spotted the change

The OBC dates seem to follow the Model Years.
My assumption is that the P14.1R is the fixed version.
What the difference is between the R and E variants is I don't know. They are mixed up in terms of build date. One kind does not precede the other.
Also the change of charging speed seems to be a software upgrade (not hardware) that happened in the middle of 2015, given that we have seen two cars with V11.1R - one that charges fast the other slow. Everything before V11.1R charges fast, everything after slow. (5% to 15% slower)
Code:
MY2014 - V8.1R
MY2015 -  V10.1R and  V10.1E and V11.1R
MY2016 -  V12.2R and V12.2E
MY2017 - P14.1R

GizmoEV: there are two different files in the zip file - Kia_Soul_EV_OBC2015_data.csv and Kia_Soul_EV_OBC2016_data.csv
I have a V11.1R 2015 car and I use the first. It seems you had a a V11.1R 2016 car and used the second. I am asking if that file Kia_Soul_EV_OBC2016_data.csv still works for the MY2017 - P14.1R OBC.

JejuSoul said:
GizmoEV: there are two different files in the zip file - Kia_Soul_EV_OBC2015_data.csv and Kia_Soul_EV_OBC2016_data.csv
I have a V11.1R 2015 car and I use the first. It seems you had a a V11.1R 2016 car and used the second. I am asking if that file Kia_Soul_EV_OBC2016_data.csv still works for the MY2017 - P14.1R OBC.

I didn't change anything in Torque Pro, still using the 2016 files. There must be change outside the charger between the 2015MY and 2016MY vehicles that necessitates the different TP files.

Something I just noticed.
If you have a version ending in R, such as V10.1R it will be replaced with an R such as V12.2R.
If you have a version ending in E, such as V10.1E it will be replaced with an E such as V12.1E.

If the OBC software / functionality was standalone I don't see why this would be necessary.
But if the EPCU has been programmed for a specific kind of OBC, then maybe you have to replace a broken OBC with one of the the same kind.

The only logical explanation I can come up with as to why they are concurrently running (at least) two kinds of hardware / software is that they are doing a long term beta test.

Hi from Madrid, Spain.

I got my car back with a new OBC.
(Nothing to complain about the speed of replacement: I left it on the 20/12 and got it back the 23/12 early in the morning)

Still working (only 19 KWh since the replacement) and now L2.

The new OBC is a V12.2E manufactured on 2016/07/19 It charges at a maximum of 27.4 Amps

I'm posting some crappy photos of the stickers. I was allowed to see an take pictures of the old unit and I couldn't see the sticker with the version number though I was handling the unit by myself and could see all six sides.

Best regards,

Rafael

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byyyq2yhKztwb2N6dXRzTGFya1E
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byyyq2yhKztwckY2ZjJTX3FJNU0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byyyq2yhKztwWmZXampCa3JXXzQ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byyyq2yhKztwSVYtMldTcnlqZ3c

Thanks Rafael,
Your car charges slower than it should, but it was the same before .All 2016 cars do this.
The Daewoo labels are the same for everybody. They have no version variance.
It is a few weeks later when it arrives at Mando that they transform it into either an R or an E
You have version 12.1E. There are no reported failures of this type yet.

The Mando label on the old OBC must have fallen off. You can always find it by lifting off the plastic cover and looking at the EPCU label.

8yhr1h6dsel.png

The new Mando sticker is interesting. They have stuck a new part label on. We haven't seen this before.

img_20161225_023831-cdguf1.jpg

Been following this thread for a bit, however I just joined to add my 2 cents worth.

Picked up a new MY 2016 EV+, and its running well so far. According to what I can gather, it was made on 12/2015, and sent over the US and arrived in port on/or about July 2016. Sent over to the dealer on 10/2016, and I picked it up 12/7/16.

OBC version: V12.2R

https://goo.gl/photos/Tut2ubh38j9dbFyWA

Mando ECU Assy - OBC, and states date November 27th 2015 (based on Intl date codes of the serial)

https://goo.gl/photos/kpQXzMmUdZmnLqNZ6

Got my car back today. A lot sooner than what they quoted.

ETA to charge from 22% to full is 3:05 that doesn't seem to be a slower charge.

new one

-------------------
Front Sticker
-------------------
Main Case Bottom ASS'Y (OBC Main):
-Lot:160921_CASE
-Date:20160921
Rear Sticker
---------------------
ECU ASSY-OBC
-MANDO V14.1R 16K04

jysl said:

Is that what the main cluster displays after you plug it in and start charging? The display estimates shown in the EV screen when not charging are on the optimistic side.

GizmoEV said:
jysl said:

Is that what the main cluster displays after you plug it in and start charging? The display estimates shown in the EV screen when not charging are on the optimistic side.

Yes it is during charging. And the ETA is right on after 3:05 is done charging with 100% full

So 25% per hour is about the same as before
I was thinking after the new OBC I will see about 20% to 22% per hour

jysl said:
Here's my car charging from a 32A 220V EVSE.
This charging speed is about 23% of the battery per hour. About 4.5 hours.
jysl: could you tell us what EVSE, current / voltage you are using.

screenshot_2016-10-23g3kue.png

Today 39% left with ETA 2.5 hour to full

It took 2 hour and 28 min

The EVSE I use is the GE one 220v

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charger-Indoor-Outdoor-Level-2-WattStation-Wall-Mount-with-Plug-EVWSWBC-CP01/203001939

JejuSoul said:
jysl said:
Here's my car charging from a 32A 220V EVSE.
This charging speed is about 23% of the battery per hour. About 4.5 hours.
jysl: could you tell us what EVSE, current / voltage you are using.

screenshot_2016-10-23g3kue.png

I'm a late arrival to this topic but I had to leave my 2016 at the dealer for the SECOND time on 12/21/2016. I waited for the diagnosis and they said that they would have to again replace the OBC and gave me a rental car. I finally called them yesterday, 1/3/2017, because I hadn't heard anything and they tell me it might be the end of the month before I get my car back. This really sucks. I skimmed the 22 pages of this tread but I really couldn't get a good count on how many people have had this problem multiple times. The first time the car was in the shop for a little over a week, maybe a week and a half. This time possibly a month. I leased an EV because I wanted to drive an EV, not some rental/loaner that they stick me with when it's in the shop. This time I actually got a fun to drive little Nissan 4x4 but it isn't the best on gas but they said when I called that they want me to turn that in and take one of their loaner cars, most likely a RIO instead. I don't want to pay over $300 a month and drive a RIO that I have to put gas in. Has anyone had any luck with getting a dealer to take back the car. I don't want to play this game anymore. We got the Soul when the lease on our Ford Focus EV ran out. We NEVER had any trouble with that car. We would have leased another one if Ford had done ANYTHING with the 2016 model.

So other than just venting a bit, I'd be interested in knowing how many people have suffered through this more than once and if anyone has been able to get away from the car in a legal way that doesn't hurt your credit.

Thanks

EV2016 said:
I'm a late arrival to this topic but I had to leave my 2016 at the dealer for the SECOND time on 12/21/2016. I waited for the diagnosis and they said that they would have to again replace the OBC and gave me a rental car. I finally called them yesterday, 1/3/2017, because I hadn't heard anything and they tell me it might be the end of the month before I get my car back. This really sucks. I skimmed the 22 pages of this tread but I really couldn't get a good count on how many people have had this problem multiple times. The first time the car was in the shop for a little over a week, maybe a week and a half. This time possibly a month. I leased an EV because I wanted to drive an EV, not some rental/loaner that they stick me with when it's in the shop. This time I actually got a fun to drive little Nissan 4x4 but it isn't the best on gas but they said when I called that they want me to turn that in and take one of their loaner cars, most likely a RIO instead. I don't want to pay over $300 a month and drive a RIO that I have to put gas in. Has anyone had any luck with getting a dealer to take back the car. I don't want to play this game anymore. We got the Soul when the lease on our Ford Focus EV ran out. We NEVER had any trouble with that car. We would have leased another one if Ford had done ANYTHING with the 2016 model.

So other than just venting a bit, I'd be interested in knowing how many people have suffered through this more than once and if anyone has been able to get away from the car in a legal way that doesn't hurt your credit.

Thanks

You can always enact the lemon law, which varies state to state (if you are in the US). I went though it before, and it was a long process that required lots of time on my part and they did not even take the car back. Have you spoken to Kia corp about the issue yet?

IMHO, I have a feeling Kia already knows about this issue, and are investigating. This are many incidents, and hopefully there is some internal campaign going on to address it. Has anyone taken a look at KGIS to see if anything is listed for the OBC?

I was thinking about looking into the Lemon Law but haven't done it yet. The dealer did give me the number for KIA Customer Affairs after I complained about not wanting to drive a RIO the whole time my SOUL is in the shop. I'm planning on calling them tonight.

EV2016 said:
... I'd be interested in knowing how many people have suffered through this more than once ...

On this forum, I think you are the only one. Collecting info from many forums worldwide I think we've seen 5. If it was random you would be the 1%er. Someone who rolls a 10% twice running. For some reason it seems to happen more in Canada than anywhere else though.

I have never had a problem with car until yesterday. Got a nail in the tire. TPMS light came on. Went to the garage and they fixed it for 5,000 won about 5 USD. The garage is half a kilometer from my house. They have a free chademo. Good to have it so near, because if my OBC does break I can always use the fast charger for a few weeks while waiting for the replacement part.

So here's my charging story from the trip I took after the tire was fixed. Went to the dynamic maze park. Two new chargers - both off.

photo_2017-01-07_12-42rsj7.jpg

So I started charging at the go-kart track next door.

photo_2017-01-07_12-4wws0w.jpg

But when I got back an hour later that charger was also dead. I had taken about 5% before it died.
There was now an i3 charging at the fast charger adjacent to mine.

photo_2017-01-07_12-5khsua.jpg

Went to the beach next. Again two dead chargers.
Lucky I live in Jeju. Not charging was no problem got home easily

photo_2017-01-07_12-5rjsgo.jpg

So I'm now running on replacement on-board charger 2!! Hope this is the last one. KIA did get the part to the dealer before the end of the month, which was nice.

i read somewhere i think on the quebec soul ev forum that some of the OBC replacements came from other Soul Ev's sitting in stock dont tknow if this was true, but maybe they did something like that with yours or they pulled an old stock(same problem) and now they finally have you with a new shipped from Korea one.

hopefully your good to go from here on out...since i have had mine replaced once and 2nd has been great since then.

Hi,

In may case, here in Madrid, the replacement OBC was in stock because it took only three days to have my car back. For sure it was not comming from Korea.

-
Another not-a-fault post.

I am still using my original OBC after 21 months.
I do get 'External Ch arger Error' messages every so often.
Sometimes from fast Chademo ch argers, sometimes from slow L2 ones.

I updated the Navi a few days ago and have noticed the error message for fast ch arger failures has changed.

First the old message:

And the new version:

I have also seen for the first time the 'Charging Fault error' message displayed as text in the title bar of the Navi while reversing out of the charging bay. I wasn't quick enough to get a photo of this one. Unlike the full screen error, the title bar doesn't have an OK button and disappeared after a few seconds.

well, if the "external" charger (or EVSE plug for a slow point) is inconsistent, it's certainly not the internal charger. :mrgreen:

CanBUS and EVSE signal can be very very poor with rust condition.
In france, we have many slow point with an integrated/degraded cable ... and with an EVSE that it works flawless.

strangely, it's ALWAYS the communication wires (Canbus or EVSE CP) that have problem ... never the power wire. :evil:

in winter temperature, the 12v ACID battery can be too low (in stop mode) to initiate the CANBUS dialog on Chademo charger for example (dead 12v ACID battery).

to low is 9,7v instead of 11,7v-12,3v.

Back