Upgrading the Korean Map

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JejuSoul

-

If you want info about the US / Canada map updates look here : Kia Navigation Updater is available in US and Canada

The program SmartUpdaterPlus has been renamed Kia Navigation Updater and is now global.

-
Some tips for English speakers in Korea to upgrade to the latest version of the navigation map.
Others might find some of this useful as possible future additions to the mapping software in their own country.
In Korea system and map upgrades are DIY and free.
You download the latest apk and data using the SmartUpdaterPlus software. This part is Korean only.

It is an 8Gb download.
You can choose to save the files onto the computer or straight to the SDcard.
You can make as many copies of the SD card as you want.
Put the new SDcard into the car and follow the instructions here - http://www.kia-gpsmap.ca/downloads/dl/file/id/71/product/593/map_update_98s51_56_canada_preview.pdf
The installation takes about 30 minutes. It is all really easy.
I am very impressed with how easy Kia has made this update process.
The software features do not seem to have changed at all.
The map however now has English streetnames and locations. A great new feature.
The number of public ch argers visible (within driving range) has greatly increased.
The car has a new clearer talking voice. ("There are several speed bumps ahead")
Have yet to test the Navi features to see what else is new.
Voice recognition in English still doesn't work.
The Navi did lose some of the recent "Over The Air" updates. For example recent speed cameras.
These were restored within 24 hours.

Some interesting bits of info I found while looking through the update log files.

The hardware for the Navigation is:
Code:
ro.product.device=imx53_ard
ro.product.board=ARD
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=kia
Info about this board here - http://cache.nxp.com/files/32bit/doc/data_sheet/IMX53AEC.pdf?fsrch=1&sr=1&pageNum=1

The difference in what gets updated in the 4 different markets.
Code:
#UPDATE_TARGET_TABLE
//1. SYSTEM, 2.	DMB	3.DAB 4.MODEM 5.GPS 6. INIC(MOST) 7.MULTITOUCH 8.MONITOR 9.HDRADIO 10.SXM 11.AMP 12.SUB MICOM 13.MAIN MICOM 14.EXT.KEYBOARD 15.EXT.CDP
$ST_PSEV_KR : {1,1,0,1,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,1,1}
$ST_PSEV_NA : {1,0,0,1,1,0,1,0,1,1,0,1,1}
$ST_PSEV_EU : {1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,1,1}
$ST_PSEV_CA : {1,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,1}

The update files
Code:
\update|checksum|55|0
\update|checksum.md5|55|0
\update|update.ini|55|0
\update|version.000|55|0
\update\gps|da.bin|55|0
\update\gps|gps_app.s19|55|0
\update\gps|gps_module.bin|55|0
\update\micom|micom_sw.bin|55|0
\update\modem|amss_I_SKT.mbn|55|0
\update\modem|NPRG6270.hex|55|0
\update\modem|partition.mbn|55|0
\update\submicom|Submicom_update.abs.s19|55|0
\update\system|hib.img|55|0
\update\system|logo.bmp|55|0
\update\system|otacerts.zip|55|0
\update\system|u-boot.bin|55|0
\update\system|update.zip|55|0
\update\system|update_encrypted.zip|55|0
\update\system|urecovery.img|55|0
\update\system|vr.img|55|0
checksum is a text file that has a hash value for each file.
checksum.md5 is a text file that has a md5sum value for each hash.
otacerts.zip contains a PEM certificate presumably for validating Over The Air updates.
logo.bmp is the UVO SmartITself boot screen

version.000 is a text file
Code:
#I-BOX UPDATE IMAGE VERSION LIST
BOOTLOADER_VER : BOOT.E475.150430
UBOOT_VER : KRNL.E475.150430
HIBERNATION_VER : FB.ST.PSEV.KR.E475.150430
SYSTEM_VER : ST.PSEV.KR.E475.150430
VOICERECOGNIZATION_VER : ALL.KO.PR.150430
GPS_VER : 2.14.22

Just added the latest version.
Q42015: Soul EV(UVO2.0, SDCard) ST.PSEV.KOR.E499.151119 KOR.08.52.41.000.003.1

One new feature for EVs is in the Range map.
All ch argers within the green circle are shown in green. (within 80% of the current range)
Those ch argers reachable within the red circle are shown in red. ( >80% distance but still reachable just)
You just touch the ch arger you want and the navigation heads for there.

Also of interest was that the camera software got updated. What is new I don't know yet.

The next version is now out: Q12016 - ST.PSEV.KOR.E500.160315
We have not yet caught up to the E510 version which will be available in the I oniq. ST.AEEV.KOR.E510.160222
Will update later when I've tried this new version.

Added the new map - tested it. Mostly it is all the same.
Found one feature which I have never seen before. (Perhaps it was there and I didn't notice - Anyone else seen it?)
If you push the compass button on the map it gives 3 options "2D North Up", "2D Heading Up" and "3D North Up"
This can also be done through the mapview setting which I hadn't seen before.

Looking through the update files on the latest map I found some interesting data.

The original Soul EVs are updated as before:
Code:
//1. SYSTEM, 2.	DMB	3.DAB 4.MODEM 5.GPS 6. INIC(MOST) 7.MULTITOUCH 8.MONITOR 9.HDRADIO 10.SXM 11.AMP 12.SUB MICOM 13.MAIN MICOM 14.EXT.KEYBOARD 15.EXT.CDP
$ST_PSEV_KR : {1,1,0,1,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,1,1}
$ST_PSEV_NA : {1,0,0,1,1,0,1,0,1,1,0,1,1}
$ST_PSEV_EU : {1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,1,1}
$ST_PSEV_CA : {1,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,1}
But MY 2017 Soul EVs are updated as: (Still no UVO in Europe and Canada. New Modem in US and Korea.)
Code:
$ST_PSEV17_KR : {2,1,0,2,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,0}
$ST_PSEV17_NA : {2,0,0,3,1,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,1,0,0}
$ST_PSEV17_CA : {2,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,1,0,1,1,0,0}
$ST_PSEV17_EU : {2,0,1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,0}
The I oniq EVs are updated as: (For some reason there is no European version. US gets an Amp.)
Code:
$ST_AEEV_KR : {2,1,0,2,1,0,1,0,0,0,1,1,1}
$ST_AEEV_NA : {2,0,0,3,1,0,1,0,1,1,1,1,1}
$ST_AEEV_CA : {2,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,1,1,1,1}

Other Hybid EVs to get updated are the Hyundai LFHEV and LFPHEV (I oniq?)
Kia TFHEV, Kia JFHEV and Kia JFPHEV (Optima), Kia DEHEV and Kia DEPHEV (N iro?)

So no sign yet of a new Kia EV. (The Ray EV code TAMEV does not have the navigation display)

New version of the map software is out. ST.PSEV.KOR.E510.160608
Soul EV in Korea now matches the I oniq EV. (Edit - not true. The Ioniq EV was released with software ST.AEEV.KOR.E514.160524 - updated since the pre-release was demo-ed in March)
And is slightly ahead of the just released version in North America. (E506)

Haven't added it to the car yet but I do know we won't be getting Android Auto because the government blocks Google Maps here.
see - http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_business/749106.html
and - http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2016/07/129_208414.html

Really interesting controversy here about Pokemon Go. Because Google Maps is banned Pokemon Go will not work in most of South Korea. But it does work in regions very close to the North Korean border, and islands close to Japan where Google Maps uses data intended for another country .

Added it this evening. Changes seen so far.
Improved route finding and searching for places to charge.
Graphical tweaks to the map (selectable colours, icons, font sizes)

-
The Q3 2016 update came out on the 9th September. - It is ST.PSEV.KOR.E518.160831
It doesn't upgrade the software much. Only new page was this.

3163hmx.jpg

It does completely alter the charging locations. Previously in Jeju the Navi displayed 65 government run c hargers, and left off the commercial networks.
These have now been removed from the car's map. We now have a commercial system of about 200 c hargers.
The government run c hargers all still exist, but there use is now intended to be for government vehicles only.

An interesting aside. You now get a pop-up message on the Navi screen telling you that an update is available.
The I oniq EV also got this message, although for some odd reason the update wasn't actually available for the I oniq EV.
The I oniq Hybrid however did get the same update as Kia's Soul EV. (although without c harger locations.)

Update: The I oniq EV got the third quarter map update a month later than everything else.
Now on - ST.AEEV.KR.E518.160831

seems the US may get the self updated map software soon -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6MhJpW4Wd0

A warning message for those trying to upgrade the navigation software.

A user in Jeju recently needed their Navi computer to be replaced after a failed map upgrade.
The user forum here suggests that people wait for more info before attempting any upgrades.

In the US users who tried upgrading in 'ACC' mode rather than 'Start' mode have drained their 12V battery.

I have never had a problem with this process, I have done it 4 times now, but it seems others have.
I have already been running the supposedly faulty software for a month already.
I will wait for further details, before commenting more. For now bear in mind the warning.

The quarterly map update is not out yet for Q4 2016, but a couple of things I looked at yesterday are interesting.

While driving I got a pop-up message on the Navi screen that the camera software had been updated. If you look at my post from January you'll see that I've had this before. Am now guessing that this message is telling me that the navi has updated its speed camera data.

Also I looked at the real time traffic info and route system. I have never used this because we don't have any express-ways on the island. Despite this my system does update every 5 minutes with real time traffic info from the entire mainland.

trafficdata0tjgb.jpg

trafficdata2rjk8u.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------

There's some interesting info about the android navi system here - http://www.kia-forums.com/2016-sorento/212745-car-play-android-auto-2.html
User jasonamd extracts the apk files from a 2016 Kia Sorento.

So I did the same with the files from my Soul EV.
Start by unpacking the system.img file in ...\Data\SOUL_EV\update\system\update.zip
Then extract from the image file using the method shown here - Android Tutorial: How to extract system.img files
These are all the system apps installed on my car:
Code:
AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk
Bluetooth.apk
CalendarProvider.apk
CertInstaller.apk
Contacts.apk
ContactsProvider.apk
DebuggingTools.apk
DefaultContainerService.apk
DownloadProvider.apk
DrmProvider.apk
HKMC_AllMenu.apk
HKMC_AppStore.apk
HKMC_AvAux.apk
HKMC_AvImage.apk
HKMC_AvMusic.apk
HKMC_AvVideo.apk
HKMC_Climate.apk
HKMC_DLNACore.apk
HKMC_DMB.apk
HKMC_DownloadMenu.apk
HKMC_DownloadService.apk
HKMC_EngineerMode.apk
HKMC_FileExplorer.apk
HKMC_IBoxSystemUI.apk
HKMC_InfoMenu.apk
HKMC_InteractiveGuide.apk
HKMC_MediaGate.apk
HKMC_Modem_EngineerMode.apk
HKMC_MyMenu.apk
HKMC_Navi.apk
HKMC_Navi_Tpeg.apk
HKMC_NaviInteractiveGuide.apk
HKMC_PowerOff.apk
HKMC_Provision.apk
HKMC_RadioKR.apk
HKMC_RearCamera.apk
HKMC_RingtoneDialog.apk
HKMC_SaveFrame.apk
HKMC_SDCardMonitor.apk
HKMC_SecurityManager.apk
HKMC_SwUpdate.apk
HKMC_TAppEV.apk
HKMC_TAppSafetyAndGIS.apk
HKMC_TAppService.apk
HKMC_TAppVRM.apk
HKMC_TelematicsProvider.apk
HKMC_TelematicsWebView.apk
HKMC_VoiceCommands.apk
HKMC_VoiceHandler.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
iBoxDevTools.apk
IBoxFallback.apk
KoreanIME.apk
Launcher2.apk
LogStoreProvider.apk
MadmServices.apk
MediaProvider.apk
NaviPopupService.apk
PackageInstaller.apk
Phone.apk
PicoTts.apk
QuickSearchBox.apk
Settings.apk
SettingsProvider.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
TtsService.apk
UserDictionaryProvider.apk
VpnServices.apk

The Q4 2016 update came out late - on the 16th January. - It is ST.PSEV.KOR.E525.170106
It includes Android Auto and Apple Car Play for the first time in the Korean Navi.
Haven't used either of these yet.

Here are the new screens.

20170119_222059jia2n.jpg

20170119_221851sul4y.jpg

20170119_22192567b6e.jpg

20170119_221944buld3.jpg

20170119_22202168x1z.jpg

20170119_222031kdzj4.jpg

SoulEV2016 said:
Have you an UVo version ?
Yes. I was on vacation for the last week. I left the car at the airport without turning the 12V battery off.
I could check the SOC of the main HV battery via UVO. It lost nothing.

---------------------------------------------------------

Just looked in the latest system.img
There are 3 new apk files. None removed.

Code:
DigitaliPodOut.apk
HKMC_DipoService.apk
HKMC_GalReceiver.apk

Some more new functionality in the Navi that I didn't notice yesterday.

From the Setup / Navigation Page / Address Book Tab - You can now Import and Export Address Books.
It creates a new folder on the USB called NaviMyPlaces - doesn't delete anything else that was already on the USB
Address books are stored as files AddressBook_0, AddressBook_1, AddressBook_2 ....
I don't know the file format yet.
This is a great improvement. It really helps when you swap cars and want to input all your old addresses into the new Navi.

20170121_220534mhul1.jpg

20170121_220546esuf6.jpg

20170121_220723zwu1b.jpg

From the Setup / Navigation Page / Safety / Camera Tab - More settings for speed camera warnings.

20170121_220635yuudy.jpg

20170121_220620qgubg.jpg

From the Setup / Navigation Page / Safety / Alert Tab - More settings for daytime / nighttime warnings.

20170121_2206502suw4.jpg

There's a slight difference to the speed camera warning. It now gives your distance before the camera. This really helps with hidden cameras!
In this picture 50km/h is the camera limit, 48km/h is real speed (not display speed), 290m is distance to camera.
Click for bigger version.

The List view for the songs now groups everything by first letter. Makes it easier to find something - you can hit the letter and scroll down through just that letter.

-

JejuSoul said:
Some more new functionality in the Navi that I didn't notice yesterday.

From the Setup / Navigation Page / Address Book Tab - You can now Import and Export Address Books.
It creates a new folder on the USB called NaviMyPlaces - doesn't delete anything else that was already on the USB
Address books are stored as files AddressBook_0, AddressBook_1, AddressBook_2 ....
I don't know the file format yet.
This is a great improvement. It really helps when you swap cars and want to input all your old addresses into the new Navi.

JejuSoul, what software versions do you have?

SmoothJ said:
JejuSoul, what software versions do you have?
The Q4 2016 update came out late - on the 16th January. - It is ST.PSEV.KOR.E525.170106

From the first comment in this thread.
JejuSoul said:
Some tips for English speakers in Korea to upgrade to the latest version of the navigation map.
Others might find some of this useful as possible future additions to the mapping software in their own country.
In Korea system and map upgrades are DIY and free.

The Q1 2017 update came out a couple of days ago. - It is ST.PSEV.KOR.E525.170302

The c harger list now includes the name of the company. Great help to know which card you need.

Company names also seen in the range screen

The music list menu now has a section for multiple deletes.
This may be old. I just never noticed it before. I have never found a changelog for the navi updates.

Another Navi update at the end of April - ST.PSEV.KR.E530.170407

You get a pop-up message that there is a new update to download.

Only new page I have seen is a Reset screen.

-
The Q2 2017 update came out a couple of days ago. - It is ST.PSEV.KR.E531.170701

You can now zoom in and out on the map using the File / Tune button

The music playing now has a delete icon at the lower right side.

A couple of new pages that I am not sure when they appeared.

There is a choice of map colors

The police speed camera display now shows average speed when the police are doing checks between two points.
In the picture below -
camera speed = 80 km/h center
real speed = 80 km/h top
avg speed = 74 km/h right
distance to final camera 11.9km bottom

-
Just installed the Q1 2018 navigation software - ST.PSEV.KR.E532.180118

I didn't write up the last 2 because there wasn't much of interest new.
This one has a nicer color scheme for the navigation map.

One bug not seen before -
For the Bluetooth phone connection I usually use the favorites list to find the number to call not the entire contacts list.
At the top of the list is Emergency Number - this cannot be removed.
After the update a duplicate Emergency Number listing appeared in position 4.
No contacts could be seen after position 4.
The remedy was to delete all favorites and add them all back in.

Here's some new pages to the navigation menus.

-
Something I have yet to find for the Soul EV map updates is a changelog.

I have seen one for the similar map update to the I oniq Electric.

Found this via this thread on the I oniq Forum - Updating the firmware on your Ioniq EV at home

Then downloaded the pdf help file from - 2017 MapCare Manual for Dealer

Our system is version 4 AVN unlike the I oniq which is version 5. Both run on Android.
Interesting to see that version 1 AVN was Windows CE. They have just removed a hidden mode that allowed windows explorer to be used on the Navi.

The pdf help file for Kia does not include the changelog. You can see it here - 2017_MapUpdate_Manual_Kia_v1.pdf

Update: I have now seen the 2018 version of the Kia help file and it does have a changelog.

I like the one that says - "Anti Hacking System updated"

Back