Do you hear the high pitch sound?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a new 2017 model and I also hear that sound. The moment I open the door before I turn anything on.

this is the hydraulic pump and pneumatic pedal assistance system of the brakes.
https://www.kiapartsnow.com/genuine/kia-pressure-source~586204u500.html

QoHalr.png

I just got a brand new 2018 Soul EV+ and it’s making this high pitching sound. It’s coming from the instrument cluster. It’s driving me crazy. I am going to take it back to the dealer. Has anyone been able to root cause this?

OMG! So glad I found this thread. I got a used 2015 Soul EV a month ago and love it, my only major complaint being the high-frequency ringing noise.

It have analyzed the different variables, and I believe it is coming from the instrument cluster. Whenever the center display screen on the instrument cluster comes on, the sound begins, and the moment it turns off, it ceases.

I am very sensitive to these noises, whether it is from a battery charger, an old TV etc. It is interesting to not that not everyone can hear this sound, both my parents have said they can't hear the sound. And it is distinct from the electric motor whine and low speed artificial warning sound. Unfortunately I can't imagine there is a way to shut off the noise, unless one can cut power to the instrument cluster display (which would not be ideal).

We recently rented a Kia Optima and I noticed that it had a very similar, almost worse, sound emitting from the instrument cluster display, so it is an issue with not just the Soul display.

I love my Soul EV dearly, but I would probably not be able to keep this car for many years given this painful noise (for some reason it is really unbearable for me, I play music often to semi-mask it). (Fortunately we are planning on not keeping it long for unrelated reasons).

Hopefully in future models Kia will use a different instrument cluster!

I hear it sometimes, but I can't distinguish it from my tinnitus, that I also hear sometimes, like right now, sitting in the kitchen. It's like an 8kHz sine wave.

Ekhaat

Has anyone been able to solve for this? I distinctly hear it too once I’m moving faster than about 45 mph.

About 11khz noise, I narrowed the problem down to my cluster. There's the noise only when the center screen backlight is on and max brightness. When lights on and brightness changes, the sound pitch changes or reduced. If I unplug the mid screen, the noise is gone.

First, I thought it was the coils (there are 3 coils on the board) vibrating, so, I put some adhesive on (lock-tight 401) and re-soldered them. However, it didn't solve the problem. I ended up with putting bunch of sound absorbers in the cluster, which reduced the sound, however, not completely gone. I hope someone who has better knowledge than me could solve the mystery.

Might be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2gX-R1k7MM

However, scheme from KIA doesn't reveal any specific cap values:

https://imgur.com/a/bRyQNDu

Back