highway handling

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfenn

Hi all,
I currently drive a 2012 I Miev and considering a change to the Soul EV. My Miev really feels tossed around on the interstate (which I live by and often am obliged to travel) and honestly I feel like I'm in a tin can and it's a bit scary.
Does the Soul EV handle the same as the gas powered as far as on the highway at highway speeds?
There are no Soul EV near for me to test drive only gas powered.
Any thoughts and input would be appreciated.
A few other reasons to switch is that there is no local service center for my Miev but my local Kia does service the Soul EV, better range, and a lot more bells and whistles so to speak as well as seating 5 versus 4.

I've never driven a gasoline Soul, but my Soul EV feels nice and solid and well built at all speeds. No trace of wander at highway speeds either. Several of my friends who have gasoline cars have commented on how up market and high quality it feels to ride in the Soul EV.

It is a big square box so range on the highway is noticeably less than at city street speeds.

notfred said:
I've never driven a gasoline Soul, but my Soul EV feels nice and solid and well built at all speeds. No trace of wander at highway speeds either. Several of my friends who have gasoline cars have commented on how up market and high quality it feels to ride in the Soul EV.

It is a big square box so range on the highway is noticeably less than at city street speeds.

I'll second the aerodynamics of a refrigerator sentiment for the Kia, but it does feel very solid in the highway.
I think the low centre of gravity really helps with this, due to the positioning of the battery pack. I really enjoy it on highway trips - I just wish there were more fast chargers around for more practical range! Around town though, this thing is a great little workhorse.
I have a gas car too, and hardly ever use it anymore (for around a year and a half now).

Oh, Ontari-owe.... sigh.

The Soul EV is a boat, yes ... but, the hard driving on mountain and cruise control at 153km/h is not a problem at all.

So, it's a good car.

(not perfect because i don't find combined threaded suspension, but it's a family car after all).

epic example of the Soul Highway illegal style ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyxE291kmg&t=7m9s

I have not driven an ICE Soul but the EV is fairly well planted at normal Motorway speeds <=70MPH

I find the B mode when used with cruise control can make the car feel a bit jittery because it feels like something is intermittently applying first one then both front brakes (one will be the initial result of the diff probably) but in D with ECO turned of it is not so noticeablel.

It is not a high speed cruiser though the Aerodynamics affect the range. if you want a motorway car consider the Ioniq instead that is a lot more Aerodynamic but for me the higher SUV like seating position is why we bought this particular car.

Hi,

We use it a lot on the highway and we think it handles very well. It feels quite solid at the steering wheel:

-Not rocking when overtaking big trucks (and we have plenty of them on the industrial belt on the Madrid-Barcelona highway)
-Not wandering from side to side while keeping in the the lane.

I choose it mainly because of its elevated driving position and capacity for 5 adults with more than reasonable leg and head room.

On the highway I drive it mostly with cruise control on. I coast from 80 to 90 Km/h (12.3 KWh/100Km on board computer) and my father without cruise control and from 100 to 110 kmh (14.3 KWh/100Km on board computer)

This on board computer calculated consumption translates to a real life metered at the EVSE of 14.3 KWh/100Km and 17.2 KWh/100Km respectively. And the average consumtion after 5.300 Km is 15.7 KWh/100Km (measured at the EVSE)

Best regards,

Rafael Pérez

I can say that my Soul EV is comfy and reliable. Have no complaints regarding its ride quality and handling, though I didn't like the performance of Nexen tires so I replaced them with all-season toyo tires. To me, Soul EV is a solid car that is easy to drive.

same quote for the tires ... i have starting to replace by a rain tires with asymetrical profil (for little snow) every 10 000 km.

r3BRSA.jpg

zSotjE.jpg

VGgBoV.jpg

Back