Bay area resident. I just bough sould EV yesterday. This is my first EV experience. I would appreciate if you an help answer questions
1. Dealership said they will apply for Greenlots card which I will receive in 2 weeks. Is this normal?
2. Do I also need to get Chargepoint card? I saw nearby targets have chargpoint stations. Or the greenlots card will work on Chargepoint card as well?
3. Is there any other charging card I should carry along with greenlots and possibly Chargepoint?
4. I have 240 volt Dryer outlet in garrage. Is it possible to use that to charge the car at 220v using supplied cord? Is there any such accessaries available? Or this is not recommended.
5. Any pointers on apps I should have on the phone which will help me find chargers around bay area.
Thank you in advance.
1) My dealer didn't and I had to order mine myself. No idea here.
2) I've never tried to use my greenlots fob anywhere but at their branded stations. I have a key ring of greenlots, chargepoint, blink, sema, EVgo, etc. Plan on ordering them all. Public charging is sometimes frustrating in this regard.
3) See above.
4) Your included charge cord can only charge at 120V/12A unless modified by a company like EVSEUpgrade.com (no affiliation). Alternately you can buy 240V EVSEs with plugs on them for 240V outlets (verify your outlet and the plug are the same!) from Aerovironment, Clipper Creek, etc. Amazon also has a number of EVSEs for sale.
If that existing outlet in your garage (either 120 or 240) hasn't been used for continuous load before I'd hire an electrician to make sure everything is kosher. Pulling 6.6 kW for five hours is very different than running a clothes dryer for 45 minutes. (PS, EVSE is the name of the thing on the wall. The charger is on board the car itself. This can be confusing for a new EV driver.) When using the 120V check the outlet after a few hours to make sure it isn't overheating. The car should be the only thing using that circuit and the outlet should be modern and in good working order. You'll be maxing out its capability for 10+ hours straight.
5) Plugshare.com or the Plugshare app if you have android or iOS.