Yet another charge error

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mthanawala

Hi all!

I'm having charging issues, but in this case I'm not convinced it's the car's problem. I've read the other threads :)

I just started using my 2016 EV+ full time last week after turning in my Fiat 500e. The Fiat had chronic problems with my ClipperCreek HCS-40, where occasionally it would cause a charge fault to appear both on the EVSE and on the vehicle, and I'd have to reset the EVSE. ClipperCreek replaced the station when this started happening, and that helped for a bit, but then started up again, so I blamed the car. It got progressively worse over time, to the point where it was really difficult to get charging.

The Fiat never had a problem with other stations, and the station never had a problem with other cars.

Now, the Kia is having similar issues, except instead of throwing the error right when I plug in, the station is faulting about 50% of the time when I use the charge schedule, when the charging is supposed to begin - I receive an SMS from the car that says that the station was not providing any power. The times I've been awake for this, the station displays the same charge fault that it used to with the Fiat. I did not see any error displayed in the Kia, but I also didn't get in and look - I would only have seen it if it were visible through the window.

So far, I have never seen a charging error message in the Kia itself, and the problem has never occurred when overriding the charge schedule to charge immediately.

For now, I'm blaming the station. I sent something like the above description to ClipperCreek, and asked for suggestions - true to their reputation for excellent service, they volunteered to send out a replacement unit, and had a detailed explanation for what might be happening. I'll receive that soon.

Fingers crossed!

Hi, I own a CLipper Creek HCS 40 and had charging faults on my Ford Focus. It was the EVSE that was the problem. Contact clipper Creek and they'll take care of it. Their customer service was excellent.

Back