Check EV System light came on briefly

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclfuzzy

First, the search in this forum sucks. It ignores common words like check, EV, and system and you can't put them in quotes to look for the phrase. So I went through 25 pages of results for "light" and don't see this specific issue.

Month old 2016 Soul EV+. Twice now, about a week apart, while driving the check EV warning light has come on briefly while driving. In both cases it didn't come back on after parking and continuing my trip. Anyone else seen this happen? Any reason to be concerned?

I suspect if I take it to the local Kia dealer they'll keep it two days and charge me for an oil change. When I bought the car, they had 16 on the lot and all but one were completely dead because they don't know how they work or care.

Thanks

That sounds odd, I don't recall anyone posting about having the check EV light come on. I think you need a good dealer who can pull the codes and see if there was anything logged.

-
Yes, the search buttons on this site are less than desired. Solution as always is to use google.

The first result that pops up there is this one - 2016 Soul EV @ 3rd day: "Check EV System" light on. What the

The second link is to page 3 of the massive charging fault error thread - Charging Fault error.

Can you share a photo of the warning that you saw, or tell if it was similar to the one seen here -

Commun problem with EV light displayed :

- overcharged water pump (or fuse blow of pump, bad contact on fuse box)
- BMS fall (cold soldering on connector)
- motor hall sensors fail

So ... a reading of the default when it append is request (don't shutdown the car).

-
Yes it seems to be a common error. It has different causes and is fixed in different ways. If you see it I suggest going to Kia Service to get the car checked out.
SoulEV2016 - do you have some links for this error on the French Forum.

1. 2016 Soul EV @ 3rd day: "Check EV System" light on. What the
The battery monitoring module was at fault therefore the the blower fan did not start in time.

2. Charging Fault error.
Fixed with new OBC

3. Replacing the Motor in French Cars
Caused by a failed sensor inside the engine that requires a completely new engine to fix.

Searching on the German Forum the only time this error was reported was last week on a Hyundai I oniq Electric
erster Defekt nach 2221 km

I've just been given a quick list of similar problems from the Quebec Forum

https://www.facebook.com/groups/884056554957411/permalink/1673222286040830/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/884056554957411/permalink/1416090995087295

Yellow Triangle and turtle! With more than 85 % of battery

18301632_102123660130iausf.jpg

No other message popped up in the display like in the photos here, just the triangle warning light. And it hasn't come back on for almost a week. Coming from driving a Tesla for the past four years, I'm a little skeptical of dealing with the service department at a Kia dealer. I may buy a cheap OBD2 scanner on Amazon to have on hand just in case, and bury my head in the sand in the meantime. I was really hoping for a "happens all the time, ignore it" response.

hello experts,
i just got my 2016 Soul EV , it has 114000km driven used in Teo taxi , driving since last 5 days , its my first EV so still learning and understanding its system working excellent no issue so far
3 days ago while driving on highway 28 % battery GOM and yellow EV triangle light on , but didn't feel anything in driving but reach home without any issue, i thought because it bellow 30% battery so might be just formal warning, once i reach home put on trickle charger and next day morning was no yellow light , so didn't think on it , today while local driving 44% range on GOM it pop again , i stop and start but light didn't go away , so i reach home didn't put on trickle charge , but just stop and start and light go away , not sure is there any serious issue or diy test and suggestion for fix ?? is this consider main EV system ? fixed under warranty ?
help appriciated , thanks in advance

I would check the coolant level and if it isn't that then take it to the dealer to find out what it is. If there are problems with the cooling system then you could be risking doing damage by continuing to drive it with the light on.

notfred said:
I would check the coolant level and if it isn't that then take it to the dealer to find out what it is. If there are problems with the cooling system then you could be risking doing damage by continuing to drive it with the light on.

thank you for quick response appreciated !! i will check asap , still early morning here ...
also decide to take a part battery blower from trunk to check if any moisture / pitted contact etc ... is it good idea ???
is it same coolant like ICE ? i mean i can buy regular auto part store ?? or soul ev use any specific concentrated ? i am in Toronto , so any suggested brand ?
again thank you !!

Neel said:
notfred said:

thank you for quick response appreciated !! i will check asap , still early morning here ...
also decide to take a part battery blower from trunk to check if any moisture / pitted contact etc ... is it good idea ???
is it same coolant like ICE ? i mean i can buy regular auto part store ?? or soul ev use any specific concentrated ? i am in Toronto , so any suggested brand ?
again thank you !!

** Just check coolant reservoir its actually 1 CM (10 MM) above the MAX level line - seems not coolant issue
i decide to do some TLC - check 12v auxiliary battery its dated july 2017 and in car off position it shows - 12.8 V is it good ??
although i disconnect + terminal and leave it for 20 minute put it back , than i went to have spin 5KM , still no EV system check light came up - so :roll: :roll:
after 3 hours i have to drive 25KM straight street drive not highway lets see if it comes again ....
will update here ...

Previous status ** " Check Ev system light " comes Intermittent on during driving , but no change in drivability issue , two time its on during hwy speed 120KM , but when stop destination and start again light goes away , soul spy gave the code for waterpump ,
so during leval 2 charging Radiator fan goes on when battery charging reached 95% and above , logically if radiator fan is on means pump must be on to circulate coolant , so i open the resorvior and quite noticable movement of liquid coolant , also touch the back of pump feel working vibration (atleast during this operation pumps works fine didn't find any malfunction)

Present status ** still light on /off same way i am keep monitoring and driving as don't see any issue , here already cold start , alrady drove 1500KM , lastnight light came so i decide let me check soul spy if anymore code or something else !! but surprisingly there is no code at all , check ev light was on , there was a pump code before now its cleared, i never clear or reset anything , i am newbie with electric car learning from you experts so using torque/ soul spy monitor and learning purpose .

** btw auxiliary battery voltage is showing different value in torque - 13.1V as well soul spy 12.8 v is this normal ? or my blutooth dongle ?

** ** what to understand by clear codes by itself , Kia dealer alrady mentioned me earlier that if code doesn't stay ON , we can't do anything. so no reason to go there so only self learning and diagnose at this point ,

help appriciated , thanks in advance

Not that this is necessarily a full solution, but I think you are pushing your car too hard. These cars should not be driven at 120km/h. You should keep it under 110km/h, slower would be even better. These are city cars.

Essentially, I think your cooling system is not keeping up. I think these cars are quite sensitive to high temperatures and will trip an error message when too hot.

That being said, when I had this error I went to the dealership without cycling the car. They noticed that the coolant level was slightly low. They also thought the pump might be on the way out, so they ordered a spare to have in stock for next time. It has been a few weeks since we have seen the error... but it popped up a couple of days ago. This was after some spirited highway driving :(

biffidum said:
Not that this is necessarily a full solution, but I think you are pushing your car too hard. These cars should not be driven at 120km/h. You should keep it under 110km/h, slower would be even better. These are city cars.

Essentially, I think your cooling system is not keeping up. I think these cars are quite sensitive to high temperatures and will trip an error message when too hot.

That being said, when I had this error I went to the dealership without cycling the car. They noticed that the coolant level was slightly low. They also thought the pump might be on the way out, so they ordered a spare to have in stock for next time. It has been a few weeks since we have seen the error... but it popped up a couple of days ago. This was after some spirited highway driving :(

Yes Biffidum , i agree with you , this car must treat like "barbie" as this is my first EV car , i drive on highway to see it performance is equally with ICE , but during the city drive between 60-80 its amazing , my coolant level was 1 cm above the max leval , as i mentioned previously it pops pump code , i am also looking to have EWP in stock as a precautionary , because i bought my car commercially used so its no longer in warranty except HV battery, so all i have to manage DIY by my self , unleass some serious things, dealer new EWP is $520+tax (canada)
so seeking used or removed from salvage or used from accident soul Ev . because it seems no aftermarket company makes it yet. seems licenses not released .

My wife got the warning 2 times in past month. However we are now at freezing and below temps and she was driving local roads below 100 km/hr. So I am certain there is no high temp issues of any kind. If anything, it could be cold battery issues of some sort.

She took it to the dealer and they checked, no issues found, 91% SOH
2016 model, about 90K km

I often charge 12V battery so it should be in a good shape, not very old.

I am guessing there are multiple causes. For me at least given temps in the -10C to +2C range it is not related to heat.

2nd time it happened she did try to speed up and noticed loss of power but no turtle mode. I am wondering if it is some sort of cell balancing issue caused by varying temps, humidity, etc.

My wife's car had the same issue, for quite a while now. The dealership kept doing updates of the ECUs and stuff.

After insisting more, they did some more debugging and found the culprit to be a pump or a valve of the coolant system. We're still waiting for the replacement part to come later this week.

It makes sense because the issue was happening when we were using the heating systems and whatever else that used more energy. I guess that was heating up some circuits and/or sensors and causing the fault.

I'll update here when the replacement part comes and if it fixes the issue.

Back