Somes graphics about Chademo Charge Station.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-
Currently I am renting an old Ray EV on a very cheap monthly contract.
I am testing this car repeatedly on a fast charger.
I would not do this to my Soul EV, and I don't recommend it to others who own their cars.
Occasional use of a fastcharger when necessary seems more sensible.

I am lucky to have this set of 5 new fast chargers locally that are free and unknown.

Today's test was to turn the air con to max while charging to see if that would help cool the battery.

Some observations from this test -
- Cell balancing did not occur . Presumably because I was drawing power for the air con.
- It doesn't slow down charging, but also didn't slow the warming of the battery.
- After the charging finished, I left the car plugged in, turned on and with air con still at max.
The Energy Draw showed zero, All the counters showed nothing. Does this mean Power for the air con is coming from the charger.
But the battery voltage was declining.

JejuSoul said:
-
I am lucky to have this set of 5 new fast c hargers locally that are free and unknown.
Luxury! :cool:

"- Cell balancing did not occur . Presumably because I was drawing power for the air con."
Or there was no need for it.

".. The Energy Draw showed zero, All the counters showed nothing. Does this mean Power for the air con is coming from the c harger."
No. When the charging has stopped, there is no power available from the c harger. On the other hand, your previous post showing the c harger stopped the time counter but still providing power during cell balancing doesn't make sense...

There is always a declining" phase after fast charging, when battery cells go to their resting voltage.
Maybe the high voltage for the A/C was turned off as the charging was finished, and just the 12V battery was running the fans?

Can you check the status of the LDC during this session?

-
Here's a graph of the cell voltages for my last two chademo sessions.

In this one the charge reaches 80% SOC but the session continues for another 1 1/2 minutes until the cell voltage deviation becomes zero.
Then it immediately stops. This is what I am calling cell balancing.

In this one the charge reaches 80% SOC and the session immediately stops. The cell voltage deviation never becomes zero.

cell deviation is very little compared to the age of the car : the Ray EV use an SK-Innovation pack, too ?
it's impressive.

---

in others sectors, cell deviation occur over ages when the builder don't really frame the cell factory (or don't have warranty to provide).
and so, you can have cell deviation and lost of capacity in the same tilt year.

example of cell deviation with a 2C discharge and 2C charge on older Lipo pack :

ooKg3O.jpg

WaZOKx.jpg

poor cell in orange.
that's why final voltage of the pack is a good indicator of ageing ... specially with slow charger.

Example :
- good pack, 500km, 7S cell = 30v at the end of the charge (charger stop)
- bad pack, 500km, 7S cell = 27,4v at the end, same charger <-- cells problems, cell balancing fail
- cell log don't available (need to dismount the pack)

---

so, you see ... that's why i love this Kia product (BMS).
because members (setting torque subject) permit to draw graphic of the battery during process like charge and discharge.

only Tesla permit that (TeslaLOG) ... and deny this access when you report a charge or battery problem. :roll:

-
This graph is from Quebec. A 2016 Soul EV, which has recently had a BMS upgrade.

The battery gets really hot during a Chademo charge.
The current drops from 120A to 90A after 50% SOC BMS.
This is not the taper we usually see, it is an immediate large drop.
Is it the BMS protecting the battery by limiting current?

:D no ... it's the quick charger that it start his protected mode (50kW fall to 33kW).
but, in this case (of hot battery), i stay in the car with the A/C in service ... and the battery suck all cold air from the floor !

i do this specially when outside temperature stay above 32°C.
i eat in the car with A/C in service during the 50kW charge for example.

Elmil said:
JejuSoul said:
".. The Energy Draw showed zero, All the counters showed nothing. Does this mean Power for the air con is coming from the c harger."
Maybe the high voltage for the A/C was turned off as the charging was finished, and just the 12V battery was running the fans?
Elmil. You are correct. I have tested this again. You are exactly right. The Energy Draw showed zero because the air con is not running. I just thought it was, because I could hear the fans and and feel the air blowing.

-
Here's a YouTube video by Byorn Nyland testing fast charging on the I oniq Electric (again).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmtnGjmg9Jk

He gets the same results as all the posts above. Max power is about 67kW.
But he seems to think there is still the possibility that this is the limit of all current c hargers, not the limit for the car.
The advertised limit for both the I oniq and Soul EVs is 100kWh, but no one has ever achieved this.

Perhaps we have to wait for faster charging to become available.

--------------------------------------------

This article suggests that the 67kW limit will not be broken. - 5 things about the 2019 Hyundai K ona Electric we learned at the NY auto show

In an interview Green Car Reports did with 3 Hyundai Execs
...Hyundai measures charging current (amperes) rather than power (kilowatts), but given the pack in the I oniq Electric, it was capable of fast-charging 173 amps. That translated to a a rate of 70 kilowatts—for which a 100-kW charging output was required.
The new K ona Electric can handle a maximum current of 200 amps, meaning it can handle a peak power of 80 kW...

-

Back