Hyundai AE (All Electric) to be available before Chevy BOLT

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlackPack not available ... so the seller have made this manually : http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/post94428.html#p94346

tAOQfA.jpg

uAU4pO.jpg

pMCwNa.jpg

8zDtb6.jpg

How to change the current on the official Hyundai cable (EVSE) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEeGlT7N_2Q

And the result with 230v AC 50Hz source :

Low 7.40A
Middle 9,31A
High 11,33A

http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/hyundai-ionic-electrique/changer-l-intensite-sur-le-cro-de-la-ioniq-t7228-10.html#p94650

-
Here in Korea the C hevy B olt is set to arrive soon. One year after the I oniq Electric.
I got to test drive the B olt. I drove 470km on a single charge. From Seoul to the EV Expo in Jeju.
We had 31km left on the GOM when we finished.

Note: There was a GM media team in a convoy car (a Malibu) following us, and a well known Norwegian You-tuber filming from the back seat.
There will be plenty of pictures of this trip on the Internet soon enough.

Here's some photos.

We drove 360km on the mainland. Friday afternoon, mild dry conditions 15C. All free-way. Mostly just under 90km/h.
We took the night boat from Mokpo to Jeju arriving about 6am. The drive in Jeju was cool, and dry. About 8C.
We drove to the East Coast to see the sun rise and from there to the botanical gardens. 110km mostly around 70km/h.
Elevation gain was minimal. About 200m on the mainland and 300m on Jeju.
I drove in 'D' mode almost all the time. (Exceptions city driving in Mokpo, and coming down the mountain in Jeju were done in 'L')

There's an article in English - GM Electric Car Drives from Seoul to Jeju on Single Charge
The story made a lot of news in the Korean Press and was also on TV.

According to the GM site - Bolt EV Goes the Distance…With One Pedal

Progressively stronger levels of regen braking are employed in all B olt EV driving through a series of four driver-selectable modes:

Operating in Drive and easing off the accelerator.
Operating in Drive and using the Regen-on-Demand paddle on the back of the steering wheel.
Operating in Low and easing off the accelerator.
Operating in Low and using the Regen-on-Demand paddle in tandem.

For my road trip I used the second one - Operating in Drive and using the Regen-on-Demand paddle on the back of the steering wheel.

There's a great graphic comparing the B olt's regen paddle with the I oniq's 4 modes.

There's a video of the Korean range test of a B olt EV here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d57UmDNYOuc

-
That taxi looks better than the ones here -

This is one of last year's Chademo version I oniqs. There are 58 of these taxis here in Jeju. The newer CCS1 version I oniq taxis with the 2cm higher headroom have only just started arriving.

-----------------------------------------------

There is a six month backlog of I oniq orders here in Korea. Hyundai's PR department is blaming LG Chem. I think the more likely reason is that Hyundai only contracted 1000 / month for the first year because of cost. GM has the same issue with the B olt.

Hyundai Ioniq Production Held Up by Battery Shortage

-----------------------------------------------

It seems the Korean government has ordered Hyundai to produce more I oniq Electrics in order to reduce the order back log in Korea.

Hyundai Motor Company Increases Production Capacity of IONIQ Electric by 50%

This story is also mentioned at PushEVs -

http://pushevs.com/2017/06/07/hyundai-ioniq-electric-production-increase-50/

PushEVs correctly mention that this is not about LG Chem lacking production capacity.
Edit: I am no longer so sure. I am going to check this.

I have 2 confirmations on a french forum that the IoniQ Electric can charge at 7,3kW. :idea:
but no Torque picture for now (perhaps an EVSE screen reading).

In France, we have a 230v AC 50Hz grid.

-
Both the B olt EV and I oniq EV use LG Chem batteries. Here in Korea demand for both far outstrips supply. I had previously blamed the car companies for not ordering enough batteries. I believe LG Chem has the capacity to produce more if they were paid to do so.

But here is an interesting comment by mg under the PushEVs article - New details on the 2018 Nissan Leaf
On the side note: very interesting point about not reaching a deal with LG when appearently the chemistry company in recent years was willing to sign a supply contract for cells for any passible ev. Along with some reports about production constraints circulating about I oniq and current scale of LG-propelled EVs production(Bolt with production of about 3k/month(US+CA+Nor+stock building), Zoe(4k), I oniq(1.2k and reportedly increasing production), Volt(2,5 k/month), + couple of other cars) I’m estimating that the are at about 600MWh/month(or 7GWh/yr) – and given that they are also obligated to deliver even more for current clients(Bolt was reported to be able to deliver up to 50k this year so about 4.2k/month) they might by already capacity constrained for at least time needed to finish the current expansion(US, China factory expansion, Polish factory construction). That would also lower my previous estimations of current LG capacity(from 10 GWh to about 8GWh/yr), and for capacity at the end of 2019(from 20 to about 17 GWh/yr)

------------------------------------------------------------

Got to see a lot of I oniq EVs this weekend at the local convention center. 110 of them!

Here's a group of 18 waiting to charge. Along with one Chademo rescue truck.

-
Latest US sales figures for the B olt EV show the sales static at about 1,500 / month. In California inventory is about 6,000.
Hence production is about 2,500 month or 30,000 / year. Exactly what they planned to produce.
see - LG Chem sees GM selling over 30,000 Bolt electric vehicles next year

And for the I oniq Hybrid and I oniq Electric. Current production and sales for the Electric are about 1,200 / month. There is no inventory. Order backlog is 6 months everywhere. The production matches what they planned, but they are being forced to increase by the Korean government to clear the long waiting lists in Korea. That must be done to fulfil the government 2017 sales targets, given that the I oniq Electric is by far the most popular EV in Korea.
see - Hyundai Motor Company Increases Production Capacity of IONIQ Electric by 50%

The charts are for worldwide sales. Local at the top, rest of the world underneath.

Just for comparison here are the stats for the N iro Hybrid. It is selling twice as fast as the I oniq Hybrid. (43,000 this year so far, compared to 20,000)

For all Hyundai vehicles the monthly sales data is here - http://worldwide.hyundai.com/WW/Corporate/InvestorRelations/IRActivities/SalesPerformance/SalesbyModel/index.html

-
The 2018 B olt EV went on sale here in Korea today. GM sold out their entire yearly quota (5000 cars) within 2 hours. Quite impressive.

Edit: Here's a report that states it was 3 hours not 2. - http://auto.hankyung.com/article/201801181895g

Edit2: Seems those 5, 000 cars ordered must actually be delivered in the 2 months after the application in order to get a government subsidy. Can GM meet this deadline? - South Korean Government Changes Standards for Payment of Subsidy for Electric Vehicles
Hyundai will fail to meet the deadline on all the 8,000 orders for its new Hyundai K ona, because that car won't even be released until May.

-
Seems Hyundai in North America is spreading a story about a Global Battery Shortage.
I have strong doubts that this is the real reason for the shortage of I oniq EVs in the US and Canada.

Here in Korea there has been no news of any halt to the production of the I oniq EV, nor recent news of a battery shortage.
The brand new I oniq EV I saw a few days ago had a VIN ending in *29624

Hyundai has produced about 30,000 I oniq EVs in 2 years.
I would guess that this is exactly the number they budgeted for 3 or 4 years ago when they ordered the cells from LG Chem.
Battery factories take years to build. They do not suddenly appear.

If there is a 3 month halt to global exports, it is more likely due to Hyundai's desire to fill Korean orders quickly.
The Korean subsidy system is a first come first served system based on actual deliveries.
There are far more people wanting EVs than there are subsidies available, hence the desire to fill orders quickly.
This was the reason Kia brought forward the launch of the N iro EV, and why GM is currently prioritizing export of the B olt EV to Korea.

We will know soon enough about the state of I oniq production. The data is easily available.
For all Hyundai vehicles the monthly sales data is here - http://worldwide.hyundai.com/WW/Corporate/InvestorRelations/IRActivities/SalesPerformance/SalesbyModel/index.html

And for Norwegian sales : Norwegian Ioniq EV registrations
In the first 4 months of this year Hyundai sold 861 I oniq EVs in Norway

Latest Korean data is here : Link to a Korean News Site
In the first 4 months of this year Hyundai sold 3,406 I oniq EVs out of a total of 5,132 EVs.

The US is not the most important for Hyundai : April 2018 Plug-In Electric Vehicle Sales Report Card
In the first 4 months of this year Hyundai sold 119 I oniq EVs in the US.

My opinion is that it is a sensible decision by Hyundai / Kia to prioritize other markets than the US.

------------------------------------------

Update 21 July 2018
Here is the latest sales data for the I oniq Electric. Sales carry on slowly.

-

-
Back in July 2017 I posted this Hyundai Motor Company Increases Production Capacity of IONIQ Electric by 50%

That headline was misleading. It turns out that it meant Hyundai had asked LG Chem for 50% more batteries.
We now know that the new production line will begin in September 2018. - Link to Korean news article

Hyundai expects to produce 2,500 K ona and I oniq units per month starting in September when LG Chemicals completes its expansion of its battery production line. The average monthly production volume of the two models is about 1,500.
Reading the article carefully it seems that about 500 I oniq Electrics will continue to be sold in Korea each month. But for the K ona Electric there will be 2,000 sold in Korea each month. The shortfall in Korean orders will be about 7000.

It means more I oniq Electrics will be available in Europe, but there will be very few K ona Electrics this year (2000 maybe).

Back