Charging Stuck At 99%

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngravEER

Ugh! Thought was an anomaly yesterday but apparently not :-(

Out-of-the-blue, our 2016 Kia Soul EV with about 11,500 miles has stopped completing a charge to 100%. Both yesterday and this morning, charging proceeds normally but then becomes "stuck" at 99%. First noticed the problem yesterday, but the wife was in a hurry to get to work, so I stopped the charge via the UVO app. This morning I let it go. Stayed charging at 99% for almost an hour past its scheduled completion time until I got this text (see pic in second link below) and charging stopped on its own. Went outside, unplugged the car, and booted it up. All appeared normal (no warning lights or other indicators) except for the fact that the car was at 99% and not 100%.

Obviously looking to see if this has happened to other Soul EV owners and if so, does this problem have an easy "fix" or am I looking at the first steps to joining the Failed On-Board Charger Club :-(

Here are links to pics on Google Drive...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4mDeycefPMzeG8xRjZfVzZ5QzJ5R1dtMlV6MTlHcEdaSFZv

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4mDeycefPMzU1E2dG54WGs1ODEySkh0UHNVdGNwOWdtdWNn

Need torque Pro & OBD2 reader to see the 96 cells ...
how many power you use when you charge ?

I noticed the same thing. While parked and charging at an outdoor charging station, my phone app said the car was 96% charged, and would be complete within 1/2 hour. I visited the charger 1/2 hour later, and it was still charging. It was also still charging another 1/2 hour later. The phone app both times said 99% charged. I assume it would never reach 100%.

Exact same issue. If I unplug it then plug back it it shows 4 minutes left instead of 1 then a few seconds later it jumps to 6. Doesn't go down after that. :?:

Don't do this.

Strategy of BMS to balance cells is based on the stability of the current ... and the time left to charge the battery.

If BMS see an instability of the current, the balancing job is delayed at an other time when the battery is more empty.

and ... estimate finish time is based on an average current during the last couple of minutes.

Back