Elmil

Re: SOH change

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:36 am

I've just visited a friend who also bought a 2015 Soul EV, just a month after me. He is now over 60000 km too, and I thought I should go there and check the BMS values in his car to get more statistics.

But he had the 60000 km service done only a couple of days earlier, and I found that the same software upgrades as I got had been done to his. So no deterioration, energy counters or active seconds counter (well, 13 hours...). Also the blue indications were now active during Quickcharge as in my car.

He's service wasn't done by the same garage as mine, so now it really looks like it wasn't a mistake and this upgrade might come to everyone (maybe at 60000 km / 40000 miles..). In that case, Kia must have a database where they save the old statistics from the BMS, before they do the upgrade.

I have noted a different behaviour on the cell balancing when Quickharging: It seems they have moved the balancing process from 82% SOC to 92%. My friend was actually surprised the first time he used QC after service, because it was finished quicker than it used to. For me, the 84% QC:s I've done since the upgrade have all passed without any signs of cell balancing, but the only time I've restarted to 94% I could see the signs in the log afterwards, even if it was pretty short.

My det.numbers since last report (11 changes after BMS upgrade):
Det Max: 8.5-8.1-8.1-8.6
Det Min: 6.6-4.9-5.7-6.3

JejuSoul

BMS software update

Mon May 08, 2017 6:24 pm

-
I would like this thread to be renamed 'BMS software update'. I think that title is more appropriate for this topic. Elmil, can you go back to the first post in the thread and rename it there. That way it will show up in the listings under that title.

On the German Forum there are reports from owners who have had this update, and they are very confused about what it may or may not do.
see - Aktuelle Software-Versionen?!

MSoul wrote:My KIA workshop master (EV fan :-) ) Has also carried out SW updates on the occasion of the OBC exchange in the last week.
He said something else:
It is now also an update of the battery management on it - and - this should lead to more favourable consumption.

German users also seem to think that the BMS upgrade will change the Chademo endpoint for a single charge from 83% to 94% on older model versions to make it compatible with the MY2017. Elmil does yours do this?
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Elmil

Re: BMS software update

Mon May 08, 2017 7:50 pm

JejuSoul wrote:-
I would like this thread to be renamed 'BMS software update'. I think that title is more appropriate for this topic. Elmil, can you go back to the first post in the thread and rename it there. That way it will show up in the listings under that title.

On the German Forum there are reports from owners who have had this update, and they are very confused about what it may or may not do.
see - Aktuelle Software-Versionen?!

MSoul wrote:My KIA workshop master (EV fan :-) ) Has also carried out SW updates on the occasion of the OBC exchange in the last week.
He said something else:
It is now also an update of the battery management on it - and - this should lead to more favourable consumption.

German users also seem to think that the BMS upgrade will change the Chademo endpoint for a single charge from 83% to 94% on older model versions to make it compatible with the MY2017. Elmil does yours do this?

No single charge to 94%, still need restart. But as I noted in another thread, there are new Delta chademos that autostart when you plug in, and also auto restart at 83%. Not related to BMS update though.

I think maybe 'a more favourable consumption' is more related to the reset of the DTE (guess-o-meter), which went up for me after the update, but now it is back to normal again. I am more concerned about the cell balancing, which now might be less active due to being activated in the second chademo pass at 92%.

JejuSoul

Thu May 25, 2017 6:00 pm

-
Some cars in Quebec have now had the BMS upgrade.
For them it seems to have been done to fix a pre-heating bug that occurs in very cold weather.

A video of the bug is here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyL8kisDx0w

The fix for this is - campaign 170055.
It is called 'BMS logic for climate control system improvement' number 170055.
It upgrades the battery management system of certain Soul EVs MY2015 and MY2016. The Temperature Control System of these models may not function when the vehicle is exposed to low temperatures without starting for a certain time.

and two screens from torque -

Here's some photos of the notice.
Most interesting to me was the list of ROM IDs

The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Elmil

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:42 am

Catching up for a passed summer.. ;)

Yesterday I had the 75000 km service. The SOH value is now 99.7%. My deterioration numbers changed the night before to 11.0/8.9.
There was a firmware upgrade of the OBC. Have not seen any functional differences yet, but the OBD2 data format has changed, so now the format seems the same as the MY16+ cars (AC AMP value moved).

Other than this, the summer has passed just fine, with a bit more QC than normal due to road trips. In juli I took the annual range check trip and I drove 206.1km with 4.5% SOC left. BMS said 23.7 kWh consumed and odometer just below 70000 km.

notfred

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:16 pm

Just took my 2016 in for its 2 year service today. They performed an OBC update/inspection/replacement that I'll discuss in the OBC failure thread, but also there was an update listed as:
15K1Z Recalls
PS EV BMS Logic for climate control system improvement"

While the heat pump is driven from the high voltage supply, I wonder if the "climate control" here is more the battery heater and cooling fan?

Elmil

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:49 am

notfred wrote:Just took my 2016 in for its 2 year service today. They performed an OBC update/inspection/replacement that I'll discuss in the OBC failure thread, but also there was an update listed as:
15K1Z Recalls
PS EV BMS Logic for climate control system improvement"

While the heat pump is driven from the high voltage supply, I wonder if the "climate control" here is more the battery heater and cooling fan?

Yes, it seems plausible that it's related to the climate control in the battery. If so, we will perhaps notice something during winter.

Did your counters for cumulative kWh, Ah and active time, as well as the deterioration numbers reset, as they did for me?

notfred

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 am

Elmil wrote:Did your counters for cumulative kWh, Ah and active time, as well as the deterioration numbers reset, as they did for me?
Sorry, I haven't been tracking them. My range this morning looked higher than usual by about 10km so I suspect things did get reset and it will drop back as it learns the way I drive and the temperatures.

Return to “Technical Discussions”