Level 1 and 2 Charging Module Failure ..

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AyeJay

Let me start by saying I love this car, (2,000 miles on the odometer) however It did let me down recently 100 miles from home.

(My car had been Level 2 charging at home for months no problem prior to this incident).

I left my home, quick charged once about 65 miles out, continued to my destination...

As I tryed to prepare for my trip back home, plugging the car into 5 different level 2 charging station locations, my KIA Soul EV failed to initiate charging at all of them.

Later, I found the paperwork indicated level 1 & level 2 charging had failed & that the Level 3 quick charger capability was still working. Unfortunately, in that area DC quick chargers were unavailable and/or out of range.

After speaking with KIA roadside assistance I drove to the nearby KIA dealership and they had the car towed to the nearest dealer, 60miles away, that had EV service authorization (they don't all have this).

:(

Well, It took two weeks to fix what was described as a "first instance" charging module failure. KIA (not the dealership) did rent me a car for that period cost free to me.

All seems ok now after a month.

This wasn't a very nice experience which honestly was exacerbated by poor communication, lack of a coherent policy between KIA & the dealerships.

Like I said at the beginning I still love this car. :)

-- I'm chalking it up to the price we pay for being early adopters..

AJ

Ugh...That's not good. Sorry you had to endure that.

Let's hope that problem isn't endemic.

mtndrew1 said:
Thanks for taking one for the team! Hopefully it's not a chronic problem.

The charging module was replaced, (hand carried by the vendor who made it for KIA from South Korea ) rather than repaired so I'm not expecting a chronic condition.

Actually there were three separate entities involved in this "first instance" servicing at the KIA dealership...

A KIA Technician from Los Angeles,
The vendor who made the charging module flew in from South Korea with a new module,
The local KIA dealership's service technician.

I'm glad it's fixed and I can enjoy My EV.

AyeJay said:
...The vendor who made the charging module flew in from South Korea with a new module..,
Wow, now that's what I call customer support! Good omen that they expeditiously took care of the problem.

JoeS said:
Wow, now that's what I call customer support! Good omen that they expeditiously took care of the problem.
The Good: Yes, KIA & their technicians took care of the problem quickly considering.

The Bad: Only select KIA dealers have EV service techs or charging facilities.

I was fairly stressed out during this 'adventure'.. LOL .... :oops:

The two dealerships I dealt with and KIA Consumer Assistance (1-800-333-4542), did help me out once I accepted/they realized the situation we were in.

-- Not without some calm, levelheaded advocacy on my part I must add.

AJ

I too have a charging module failure.

Check EV light came on from time to time and they finally narrowed down to the charging module. ~_~

I'm now driving a Kia Rio loaner. They say it will take a week to have the part delivered (from Korea I guess). :oops:

I too have a charging module failure.

I'm Sorry to hear that.

My understanding is that both BMW & Nissan have had a small on board charging module failure rate as well ...

We just happen to be the lucky ones :roll: .

Thankfully, It sounds like you were able to avoid the tow truck and the inconvenience I went through.

That's a good thing!

Cheers

Back