Superchargers and trip planning

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtalva

I am trying to plan a trip from the Southern California area through the Southern California desert and the Arizona desert and finally into the Phoenix, AZ area. I see that there is a possible way to make this work using I-8 from the San Diego area to Phoenix. Even given the limited range of say 70 miles on the highway between charges from the various chargers and location of chargers that I see on the PlugShare trip planner. However several of the key charger locations are "Tesla Superchargers". Are these chargers the same as a "Fast Charger"? I have used Level 2 and Fast Chargers but I am not familiar with Tesla's 'Superchargers'. Just wondering if a Kia Soul EV can use these. Without the use of the Tesla Superchargers along the way I am not sure how realistic this idea is either given the amount of desert area between Phoenix and Southern California. On a good/decent battery can I plan on 70 miles all highway?

If you want to use PlugShare, you should adjust your settings ("more options" or the gear icon). You can include CHAdeMO DCFC (the fast charger compatible with the Kia), EV Plug (J1772), and Wall outlet (120V) (but only if you're willing to overnight, and even then, you probably won't get a full charge). Tesla chargers are not compatible.

I managed to make a Baltimore suburbs to Pittsburgh route by buying a J1772 charger with a NEMA 14-50 plug, and stopping at a campground for a while to bridge the gap. It doesn't look like any such arrangement is possible for your route based on the data Plugshare has, unless you go considerably out of the way... you can try dragging some routes up toward Vegas, and expanding the radius of search, you'll maybe find enough chargers, but it's going to be a long trip with a 3-4 hour stop at each J1772. I don't think we're quite to the point this makes sense yet with the Soul EV.

Tesla superchargers are for Tesla's only. The Soul has a CHADEMO connector, there is also the SAE CCS connector which the Soul cannot use. Most fast chargers have both CHADEMO and SAE CCS connectors.

Is it pretty standard for campgrounds to have (and offer) 14-50 receptacles? That would make it handy to have the 14-50 plug on a level 2 charger for sure when traveling.

no problem : http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/recharge-voitures-electriques/quant-tous-les-taxis-d-une-ville-passent-en-electrique-t6569.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7HugXPh2ik

cveWdi.jpg

6hY3hY.jpg

Back