SoulEV2016

Re: Charging Fault error.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:22 am

1 days !?!
Perfect, they have parts for instant intervention. :idea:
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

ekhaat

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Did Kia ever say what actually fails in the OBC? I mean, is it an internal fuse? A blown up capacitor? Software bug?
One would think they take the OBC home and test them.

Cheers

dgpretzel

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 pm

I read through about the first 9 pages, and the last one or two.

We are leasing a 2017 EV+. Have had it for 6 months. 4814 miles.

Last night's charge failed before the "Stop Time". Charger Failure notice on the dashboard panel. The blue charging LEDs fail to illuminate when attempting L2 charge (regardless of whether immediate or scheduled). Broke out the "trickle charger" that came with the car. It won't charge either. The orange fault on the "trickle charger" illuminates, and, again, none of the blue charging LEDs light up.

This will be interesting (and, no doubt, frustrating). We are in Juneau, Alaska. Over 600 miles to Anchorage, the nearest Kia dealer in the state. We are 1,000 miles from Seattle (where we leased the vehicle).

25 miles indicated range left, and unable to charge.

Does not look pretty.

DG

P.S. Our EVSE is a "plain vanilla" JuiceBox that is rented to us by our local electric utility. Have reset it (unplugged and replugged) several times, but the repeated double beeping continues. JuiceBox web site indicates that double beeps mean some kind of J1772 protocol failure.

JejuSoul

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 am

-
If the OBC in the car is broken, it is still possible to use a fast c harger.
It may give you some extra options while you decide what to do.

Do any of these stations marked have a Chademo plug.

------------------------

I have a 2015 Soul EV with the original OBC. A couple of days ago I had what looked like the 'standard' OBC error referred to on this page.

I started L2 charging normally, and all looked fine - until I looked into the car and saw the dash.

So I got in, turned on and saw the same on the navi. I started Torque on my phone, saw that the car wasn't drawing power from the wallbox.

A few minutes later 'charging' stopped. I heard a clunk. the 3 blue lights all began flashing.
The navi showed the external c harger error.

But when I disconnected and then restarted everything worked fine. It has been fine for the 3 charges I have done since.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

dgpretzel

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:52 pm

JejuSoul,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, there are no Level 3 chargers within at least 500 miles.

Also, when I attempt to start a Level 2 charge, it doesn't eve appear normal. The blue charging LEDs all remain off. Also, the EVSE seems not to be supplying any power at all. It (a JuiceBox) just continuosly emits a double beep, about every second.

Level 1 (using the OEM "trickle charger" [I hate that term-- since it is EVSE and not a charger-- but that's what they use in the Owner's Manual]) behaves similarly. The "trickle charger" lights up the orange Fault indicator, and nothing happens with respect to actual charging.

I note that it has gotten colder the past couple days-- approx 25 degrees F (about -13 degrees C). I wonder if that could be a factor.

I also wonder if I should try disconnecting and reconnecting the 12V battery. Alternatively, would it be equivalent to either cycle the "big red switch", or maybe the fuse box-- instead of getting out wrenches and going under the hood?

Thank you.

DG

P.S. Edit: I observe that I made an error in temperature reference, above. 25 F = -4 C, not -13 C. -13 C = 9 F. Juneau is in the "banana belt" of Alaska. It only rarely gets down to 9 F (-13 C ) in these parts. Now, up in Anchorage, or Fairbanks (the Interior), or the North Slope is a different story. -40 (C or F) and lower is common up there.
Last edited by dgpretzel on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JejuSoul

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:38 pm

-
The switch is here if you want to turn off the 12V battery. (If you lock the car after disconnecting you will need to unlock with the physical key).

It may also be worth checking the health of the 12V battery with a voltmeter.
Or if you have it use Torque to read out the battery stats.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

dgpretzel

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 pm

I tried to get the software to reset. First I tried turning the switch off, waiting a bit, and back on. That didn't work. Then I thought, well maybe that doesn't really disconnect everything. So, I opened the hood, and physically removed the negative battery cable. Waited a bit, and then reconnected. That didn't work, either.

So, I phoned Customer Support. They weren't very helpful. It was a struggle to convince the technician with whom I spoke that there was a problem other than a dead battery! He insisted that the absence of blue charging LEDs meant, according to p.15 of the Owner's Manual, which he had me turn to and read, that means "Not Charged", and that means the battery is dead. He thought the solution was to just hook up the charger and charge the battery. I explained that the car was perfectly driveable just the way it was. And that the headlights and heater worked, etc. He didn't quite believe me because (I told him) that the blue LEDs were off, and that couldn't be unless the battery were "Not Charged". Talk about being stuck in the script!

He had me go out to the car and narrate my step by step sequence of plugging in the J1772 connector.

He is going to consult with some other folks, and we will speak again.

The saga continues.

DG

P.S. BTW, it appears that this French gentleman experienced the same thing. I wish I could understand French.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc7UmtBno2U

dgpretzel

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 pm

P.P.S. It's interesting to me that the car seems to have done something to the EVSE's that I have used. I have Level 2 EVSE at home. (JuiceBox-- the plain vanilla "dumb" version) It is now emitting double beeps at approx 1 second intervals. According to the JuiceBox web site, that means some kind of problem with the the vehicle's J1772 protocol. So, then I broke out the OEM "trickle charger". I connect it up, and instead of the "charging" LED, the "Fault" LED comes on.

I'm thinking I need a new OBC. But, the Customer Support tech doesn't quite see it that way. (Yet.)

SoulEV2016

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:56 am

in my country, almost all problems need a Kia Assistance process ... to tow the car to the nearest service Kia provider.

so drive to 0%, call KIA Assistance that you can not charge with EVSE Kia official cord ... and a tow-truck push the car to the dealer (and if it don't charge, KIA services start to investigate).

it's the same issue here :

- customer need to "broke" the car in drive ...
- customer must CALL the service assistance ...
- and ... Kia do the good verifications
- and loan a Kia Rio for you ... (or Picanto for broken Soul EV usually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wanr0LThvkM
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

dgpretzel

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:45 pm

The "get a two" idea doesn't seem to work where I am.

I live in Juneau Alaska. We are not connected to the North American road system. That means about a 900 mile (1,500 km) barge shipment, or an 80 mile ferry transport to the nearest town connected to the continental road system (which then means a 1,000 mile tow). As you can guess, the price of any transport option to Seattle exceeds $250, and Kia Customer Support has told me they won't pay for it (except for the first $250). There is a dealer in Anchorage, but, even though they apparently sell and service Soul EV's, Kia's position is that they are not an authorized dealer, and therefore I must transport to Washington State. (Even the Anchorage two would be 600 miles [after the ferry trip].)

Kia has told me I should not have taken a Soul EV to Alaska, as it is not designed for our extreme weather. On the phone, the agent made it sound like Kia is a victim, and I am an aggressor. The agent had no coherent response when I pointed out that Kia Soul EVs are sold in Canada and Norway. He simply repeated that it is a violation of Kia's policy for us to have a Soul EV in Alaska!

At the time of purchase, we were quite upfront with the dealer (in Washington State) from whom we purchased (leased) the vehicle about our situation, and that dealer checked with Kia BEFORE we made the deal, regarding warranty service. At that time, Kia told us (via the dealer) that warranty service would be provided in Juneau by contracting with a local service provider. Now that I need the service, Kia is denying they made any such representation, and said any alleged agreement for providing service in Juenau is a violation of Kia policy, and strictly a matter between the dealer and us.

This is not working out well.

Vehicle is unusable-- dead in the water (except for about 22 miles of range left); no plan to repair; and no rental or other car replacement. They just say we violated Kia policy, so ship it to Washington (and back), and they'll be happy to do the repair for free.

It would be a fraction of the cost for Kia to fly a technician here to replace the OBC (a 2 hour job, I understand), but they want us to ship the vehicle.

I shall make one more attempt to speak with Kia Customer Service tomorrow, but it doesn't look good.

:(

DG

Return to “Batteries and Charging”