Winter battery temperature managementi

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Etobicoke17

I am new owner of the Soul EV. My question is the following. During the winter time the temperature in my garage can go under zero Celsius. My question is the following. Can I keep my car connected to type 1 charger but to prevent any charging unless capacity goes below 25%. If charging starts I want to stop once it reaches 80C. I am in Canada so no UVO services. I just do not get why we do not have ability to control the percentage level of a charge? We all know that li ion batteries hates charging when temperaterure is under zero, charging to a full and they do not like frequent charging cycles. Any idea?

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The battery heater will kick in when it needs to regardless of whether the car is plugged in or not. Also if you only need to charge to 80% then just leave it charging to 80% and don't bother plugging it in when you don't need to (or disable the charge timer and just have the preheat timer).

Is there any way to control the battery heater ?
I mean if you leave the car for a week or two in -10deg. Cel. you will end up with a flat highvolt battery ?

No control over battery heater and no problem with it draining the high voltage battery. I've left my 2016 sitting over the Christmas break for a couple of weeks in Ottawa and the high voltage battery has basically remained the same - I didn't check exact % but it stayed at "about half charged".

Back