OVMS for the Kia Soul EV (to remotely access it without UVO)

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, now i have the kit. Mut i did the clever thing of buying the pickit 3,5 since i thought it might be best to have the newest version of things.
But now i am not able to connect to the ovms. I received a cd with the kit, but my Chinese is not that good. :)

Has anybody any clue how to use the pickit3,5 with the ovms?
Which piece of sw should i use?
I have a sw called programmer that looks like the one in the manual for the opvms, but it will not start when the pickit is connected, and if i connect it after starting the sw it has greyed out most of the options.

Help .....

There are instructions on how to use the PICKIT3.5 for installing OVMS firmware on a Tesla in German here :- http://tff-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=223&start=40
Maybe google translate can help you.

PG164130.png

It seems you need to download the MPLAB® X IDE v3.35 which is 554.5 MB from http://www.microchip.com/mplab/mplab-x-ide
There is an English user guide on that page - MPLAB® X IDE Release Notes / User Guide v3.35

There is an OVMS thread on the German Kia Soul EV forum which also has a current user seeking assistance.
http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/kia-soul-ev/ovms-fuer-den-soul-t9741-210.html
I suggest you two share knowledge of how to get the current firmware working.

Now i have the hw, and i have programmed it with firmware version 2.8.6
The OVMS i communicating with dexters server,and i see it live in the iphone app. But it does not seem to communicate with the car :(
When i send stat? i get only :
Not Charging
SOC: 0%

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

VERSION? gives this answer:
OVMS Firmware version:
2.8.6/KS/V2/V2P8

When sending the GPS? command i also get the answer that my car is somewhere in Wales. :)

I tried downgrading today, and the ovms kept restarting with both 2.8.5 prod and experimental version.
I never got to the point that I could communicate with it.
I now have the 2.8.6 experimental version installed, and now I get the correct GPS position, but it is still not communicating with the far
Anybody have any idea what I can try?
When installing the sw from goev, does it replace the whole fw , or just the specific Kia Soul part?

Am updating this thread to show that OVMS is still around and does work. The more recent discussion is on the German thread - OVMS für den Soul

Mgrefsrud said:
I have now tested the OVMS for a while, and it works great, i have some questions regarding the last functions GOEV added. The door lock status in the app, and also in the DEBUG sms does not seem to work. It seems my doors are always locked.
The open/closed status works in the IOS app, but i only see the front two doors.

Here are some photos from the Android app running in demo mode

Hi guys!

It's been a while...

I'm working on OVMS V3 now. It'll be a lot easier to set up, has much more powerful hardware and it support up to three can-buses. That means we in theory can do stuff on the M-can too! Size will be roughly the same as V2.

I have ported most of V2 functionality to it, but I've yet to test it in real life. I've got the hardware, but I've been busy doing the conversion while trying to get back into the CAN-stuff + life in general and the flu.

I don't know much about the other specifications yet, but it has 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, Telnet/SSH, Webserver, SD-card reader and an ekstra port for external HUD-display and controllers. It will have some javascript possibilities too, but I haven't read up on it so I'm not sure what it can be used for. It will support Over-The-Air updates, if I haven't misinterpreted the guys who is making the core-functionality.

The WiFi can be set up with multiple SSIDs, so you can easily use the WiFi at home, your mobile hotspot and work. The SD-card can be used for logging. SSH/Telnet to the unit will give you access to more functionality and data. This is the only part I've testet and it is quite nice.

I hope I can support the new 30kwh version from start, but I don't have access to one, so it is all based on different info I can find online. Anyone reading this with one living nearby Mandal?

I don't know when the hardware will be available for public, and I don't know when the firmware will be available either, but it is progressing fast now. I can't keep up with everything on the OVMS-mailing list ;)

It's great to read that you are working on the conversion to the new hw. Do you think it is easier to add functions with the new fw?
I am daily using the "old" version on my Kia, and i am very greatfull for your and others work, but i really would like more functions. Like beeing able to lock/unlock and best of all to start the heater :D :p

greatings from a greatfull user

Nice to hear that you are using OVMS mgrefsrud! Are you norwegian btw?

I can't promise that much new functionality at the moment. It seems like things like lock/unlock needs to be done with the key fob inside or near the car, and also it seems like the OBD-port is shutting down after a little while after the car has been shut down and locked. This makes it a bit difficult and useless, to say the least. But, I didn't really manage to properly investigate when I stopped developing V2. My OBD-adaptor broke and when I finally got a new one, family demanded my attention.
With V3 we might be able to do stuff via m-can, so who knows what might be possible? Also there seems to be a new version of the "pro" diagnostic tool I have. Hopefully they've added more commands for the Kia Soul. I've yet to test it, though.

I have added lock/unlock doors, open trunk and open charge port. However, a while after turning the car off, the ECUs I use (Smart Junction Box and Body Control Module) are turned off and won't answer the request.
Are there anyone here who might know how I can get past this limitation?
I'll look into the SMK, Smart Key ECU, to see if I can wake up the other ECUs from that.

I've ordered a new cable so that I can start to work on the m-can soon. I have almost no information about that bus, so if any of you can do some traces on that bus, it would be great :)

Geir

goev said:
I have added lock/unlock doors, open trunk and open charge port. However, a while after turning the car off, the ECUs I use (Smart Junction Box and Body Control Module) are turned off and won't answer the request.
Are there anyone here who might know how I can get past this limitation?
I'll look into the SMK, Smart Key ECU, to see if I can wake up the other ECUs from that.
Langemand on the Soul Spy thread is also looking for this information. see - Re: Soul Spy?

My guesses on where to look for this info. The only 2 ECUs to stay permanently on are the Smart Key and the Navi. The Navi holds the timer info for both the climate and charging schedules, hence the clock must stay on. Also the phone chip on the Navi must be on in order to receive messages from UVO. I do no think we can hack the Navi easily, but we can monitor the messages it sends to wake up the other ECUs. I think these will be on the M-CAN. The Smart Key ECU must send a wake up message to the VCMU. I see no reason why this would be on the M-CAN. Am hoping it is on the regular CANbus and will be accessible to the cheap OBD scanners that most of us use.

I'm already in contact with Langemand :)

I managed to wake up the things by activating either IGN1, IGN2, ACC Relay or Start Relay(?). The BCM and SJB started to answer my requests, however with a negative response. I was in a hurry, so that's all I found out.

I don't have much hope in hacking the navi either, but it will be exciting to find out what we can do on the m-can. I don't have access to a car with UVO, so I have to look into what's happening when the heater is turned on by the timer.

Anyone here with UVO and a proper CAN-scanner?

hi
I do not have the module v3, but several users of Spain are eager to mount it.
If you need help to test, count on my future v3 module :D

Hei.... I'm in Norway, not fare from Drammen... Anything I can help you with ?
I have the 2018 and a OBD connection to my car..

Usikker said:
Hei.... I'm in Norway, not fare from Drammen... Anything I can help you with ?
I have the 2018 and a OBD connection to my car..

Hi Usikker,

Maybe you could have a look at the M-can? The M-can is on pin 1(High) and 9(low), while the C-can is on pin 6(high) and 14(low).
I would really like to know what we can find on that bus. Like which messages are sent when the timer turns on the heater, what is the inside temperature. Can we find the temperature-setting, timer-settings, anything that might be useful?

I'm waiting for some new cables, so I can't access the M-can before those cables arrives.

I would also really like to test the OVMS V3 on a 30kWh Soul, but Drammen is a bit too far away just for testing :)

Best regards,
Geir

I can buy another obd dongle and modify it, any special you will recommend reading m-can ?

I have this one today and it seems to work ok with Torque
https://alexnld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/KW902-3.jpg

--
Lasse

goev said:
Any dongle should do. ... :)
Are you sure? I also have a Konnwei KW902 dongle. I don't think it is fast enough to read the M-CAN. I think that line is 1 Mb/s.
I hope I'm wrong on that though. Here's the layout of our OBD connector from KiaTechInfo.com.

I’m pretty sure that the m-bus is 100kbit/s. There’s no reason it should be twice the speed of the c-can.
AIKI wrote about the m-can early in the SoulSpy thread.

I can confirm that the M-bus is 100kbit. I've run quite a few traces and have updated Tyrell's google spreadsheet with my latest findings: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YYlZ-IcTQlz-LzaYkHO-7a4SFM8QYs2BGNXiSU5_EwI/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Back