recommended obd2 adapter?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, the data on them says NO to electric cars. How are you using them on the Soul? Can I, the novice, expect any difficulty setting it up on the Soul after they specifically say not for electric vehicles?

the problem is not the EV, because EV use Canbus like petrol car.
the problem is the protocol of the canbus (revision) and the speed of it.

So, ? the Canbus is written into the OBDII adapter?? One person says he blew his Canbus which confuses me. I cannot mess up this vehicle for I am not knowledgeable enough to do repairs. If I purchase the OBDLink LX or MX, (I only have one car, the Soul), plug it in and Bluetooth it to a Samsung tablet am I safe and is this all I need to achieve the readouts I desire or do I need to do other configurations, ie programming? If I need to do other things then I have just come to a halt for my skills are still in the Slide Rule era.

Thank each of you for your attempts to help me.

Yes, the chip that it decrypt the OBD2 protocol (ie. CanBus revision) must be as fast as the protocol of the car.

Bad OBD2 adapters crash when they try to decrypt (and the car like or not the result) ... but keep in mind that the OBD2 plug is on a protected plug.

At maximal risk, you blow a fuse (OBD2 chip is shortcut on the 12v line) or the car shutdown because it see a wrong process (a really wrong ...) on the OBD2 protocol.

So, usually, a wrong adapter is too slow to decode the OBD2 procotol (newer) of an EV car (it miss frames at minimal result or crash at maximal result).

The other problem is the (poor) quality of the bluetooth chip associate with the OBD2 chip decoder ... that's why Torque Pro author have so many complains with this (poors) adapters because members don't understand and trust the adapter (because it's a industrial product) and believe that the program is in fault.

In the reality, it's always the adapter ... and sometime, the bluetooth chip (with the OBD2 adapter) linked to the smartphone, too.

Thank you Soulev2016, I will give it a try, too busy for the next month, but sometime in the next couple months. I will buy the OBDLink LX unless you think another is better. Again thanks for your help.

wabob said:
Thank you Soulev2016, I will give it a try, too busy for the next month, but sometime in the next couple months. I will buy the OBDLink LX unless you think another is better. Again thanks for your help.

DIdn't we say NO to that one already? That is one reason why I picked up the MX vs LX (just remembered).

http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=711#p6135

I think the OBDLink LX is on the NOT recommended list was because of the report about it not working for the TPMS codes. You have confirmed that the OBDLink MX is working. I think it is likely that the OBDLink LX has now been fixed and will work. If someone has one, it would be great if we could confirm the OBDLink LX is working too.

The only major error caused to the car by using an OBD reader has been a reset of the default air conditioner temperature. This happened during the decoding of the CANbus when random codes were being tested to see what would happen. The most common worry is that leaving the OBD reader permanently on will drain the 12V battery. So far this has never happened.

-
Update - May 2017.
Have seen recent reports from both Korea and France that newly bought KW902 adapters are working fine.

*** DO NOT PLUG A NEWLY BOUGHT KONNWEI KW-902 UNTIL YOU READ THIS. ***

Turbo3 said:
I have recently been getting reports of strange things happening (I-Key error) when newly bought Konnwei KW-902 adapters are plugged into the L eaf.

I bought one this week and got it today from A mazon and had the same problem.

On opening it up I noticed they have changed the circuit board from the board in the old one I have been using.

The problem is that on at least some they have used the wrong resistor across the CAN bus. The spec is 120 ohms across pins 6 and 14.

They are using a 20 ohm resistor which is a near short of the CAN bus. If they are using automated equipment to build their boards then they most likely loaded the wrong reel of resistors. That means there are potentially many many of these out there.

Before plugging in a newly bought Konnwei KW-902 into your L eaf please have the resistance between pins 6 and 14 measured. If it is not 120 ohms return for a replacement until you get one with the correct resistor in it.

Shorting out the CAN bus is very serious. If you experience any strange behavior when using any OBDII adapter immediately stop using it and have the resistance checked. Never drive your L eaf under these conditions.

The CAN bus is used to control the vehicle it is not just a monitoring port. The communications on the CAN bus control the L eaf and shorting it out should never be allowed.

The thread discussing this is - Warning: Defective Konnwei KW-902 on the market
Turbo3 is the author of L eafSpy. The KW902 is the recommended adapter for both that project and for the Torque Pro codes we use on the Soul EV.

I think this explains the problems SmoothJ had with his adapter. - http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=471&start=300#p6155

SmoothJ said:
I am still working on this but when I plug in my new kw902 elm327 it does not turn on. So naturally I press the button and then my car goes nuts and starts saying stop vehicle and check power supply. Even if I dont press the button it does the same thing. As soon as I remove it I have no issues with the car....

Update (to be clear)

BpjQOG.jpg
YES
HEEuB5.jpg
NO
ttejYR.jpg
NO
UwzLV2.jpg
NO
lzbsTW.jpg
NO
M5UEXX.jpg
YES (when update first).
G9RwLW.jpg
YES
mFIkP9.jpg
YES but with 120 Ohms check ( http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23776 )
qEZLT9.jpg
YES (in ELM v1.5 only).
HoFxyc.jpg
NO
gxXR3a.jpg
YES

-
Someone on the I oniq Hybrid Forum tried to use this adapter (It is already in the Not Recommended list.)
- Anybody try to use Torque Pro?

obdadapterqjub4.jpg

It didn't respond to ELM327 Identifier. It doesn't and cannot work. Avoid these cheap clones.

But I tested my Konnwei KW902 with ELM327 Identifier.

It works. But, it is also a clone. It reports to be the non-existent v1.5.
There is some interesting info here about the Chinese cloning of the ELM327 firmware -
- Dissection of a counterfeit ELM327 OBDII Adapter from China

-
Here's some details from a user testing the OBDlink LX adapter.

M5UEXX.jpg

When tested with ELM327 Identifier it shows.

But it fails with a Null Pointer Exception when trying to run alOBD Terminal.

I will stick to recommending the Konnwei KW902 adapter.

FAIL for the Wifi OBD2 v1.5 (KW903 clone) ... too bad because, in the other side, the button ON/OFF work great (real mosfet) and the Wifi link is fast (more than my Bluetooth adapter).

mSRKQn.jpg

KyGqLq.jpg

High Definition Picture to read the specs on Chips.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7359/3Ex3WT.jpg and http://imageshack.com/a/img922/2414/rolOGC.jpg

Xnz6ZW.gif

OBODek.gif

Sometime, for a little than less 5 seconds ... it's OK (kWh and battery temperature only, the other PIDs are wrong).

So, this program : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.applagapp.elm327identifier
It's perfect to see if it's a good adapter or not (without use Torque Pro).

List updated here : http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=711&start=20#p6934

Perfect, i has one in Wifi with ELM327 v1.5 standard frames recognized !

BpjQOG.jpg

Yes, the measures are more stable and fast in the Torque Dashboard reading ... but no more speed on logging (always 2 second cycles).

Look the number on the top of the captures, it's the Wifi speed (2 kb/s).
Drop to 0,8 kb/s when car is OFF (Charging job).

Mini-CD has been product in 2015 (provide with the Wifi OBD2 reader).

NaRJ40.gif

Gw21sA.jpg

r77IfB.jpg

6IjDg4.gif

List updated : http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=711&p=6934#p6934

-
Some updated info on the Konnwei KW902 adapter. via the CanZE website.
Seems the problem with an incorrect resistor is fixed.
Many users here have also ordered recently and have received working adapters.

Dongle trouble #5
September 14, 2017
When I got home tonight the KONNWEI dongle I ordered on August the 29th had arrived directly from China.

I ordered it here. Less than 9 euros.

It had the proper 120 ohm resistance on the CANbus. Next, I opened it up and it is the new design, i.o.w., it seems like the error was found and new production runs are OK. Of course we don’t know how many old supplies there are and if by chance I got the top of a just replenished stack. YMMV.

Note in the previous post that the problem started occurring already in April. I didn’t know this but at least there is a fair chance the problem dongles are sort of slowly going out of stock.

I think I got a headache just be reviewing all the past posts on the best scanning tool to use for SOUL EV (2015 is what I got).

Without using formulae on a spreadsheet or logging trips for calculations...

1) is there a simple way to determine the vehicle's battery SOH so that I can determine how bad degradation is on my vehicle?

2) So far what I got from past posts on this thread is that the 2 most recommended scan tools for KIA SOUL EV appear to be either...

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B006NZTZLQ/

or

https://www.amazon.com/CC-JJ-EXCEL-ELM327-OBD-II-Bluetooth/dp/B01C8VJHF2/

3) Is it guaranteed on the KIA's standard 10-yr warranty to replace the battery if it drops below 75%?

4) When I take my KIA SOUL EV in for service, am I able to get a detailed report on the condition on each and every one of the 96 cells?

quick question ( I've got a Hyundai Ioniq Electric and apparently they need the same adapter).

Are there Bluetooth 4 (BLE) adapters that work as well? Low power would be nice...

Thank you very much,
Christoph

Back