FtWorthKat

Re: Texas Soul EV owners

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:14 am

You may want to be aware that I am having great difficulty getting warranty service outside of Austin. My car's driver window motor went out, which both Kia and the dealership say is like the gasoline Soul. However the DFW dealerships say they can't get reimbursed for warranty service because they aren't "Soul EV certified" so they tell me to take it back down to Round Rock for service. Freaking ridiculous. Kia customer service tells me the dealerships can do warranty service and get reimbursed but don't want to because not being "Soul EV certified" could make them liable in case of problems. Originally I believed Kia, but after the 2nd dealership told me the exact same thing from someone high up, I'm now inclined to believe them. I was told that getting "Soul EV certified" is very expensive because it requires them to put in 2 chargers including a fast charger. If I required major warranty service in the future that I thought a local dealership could handle, I would consider suing them because it seems to me like they are creating unnecessary barriers to avoid honoring warranty claims.

FtWorthKat

Re: Texas Soul EV owners

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 pm

As it turns out, I needed major warranty work in December after the onboard charger stopped working. Although the car could still be driven (and probably charged with a level 3 charger) that was a large enough issue that Kia was willing to transport my vehicle to Round Rock and back for the warranty work. So both the minor non-working window motor and the major non-working onboard charger were resolved. My local Southwest Kia provided a loaner car for the week, but presumably I only got that because they have the same ownership as the Round Rock dealership.

So the bottom line is that if you live outside of range of an "EV certified" dealership, you may be responsible for taking the vehicle back for warranty work if your car is drivable, but if it needs major warranty repairs then Kia transports. It's in the warranty really, but even if someone read that before buying, it would not be clear that most dealerships aren't "EV certified".

Return to “Local / Regional Discussions”