Towing Kia Soul EV

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtalva

I have a question regarding towing my 2015 Kia Soul EV behind a U-Haul truck. We'll be moving about 250 miles away soon and I will need to tow the car behind the rental moving truck. Is it as simple as just keep the two front tires off the ground?

Thanks,
Curt

Read in my owner's manual last night the Kia recommends that you tow with all four wheels off the ground (i.e. flatbed tow truck) however if not possible to tow with front wheels off the ground. Wonder why both Chevy (VOLT) and Kia (SOUL EV) both want all four wheels off the ground preferably when being towed?

Many things from breaking the regen module, issues with the transmission towing long distances in reverse, to issues with the car thinking it's rolling back down a hill and engaging hill assist.

Those don't fit with towing with the front wheels off the ground and rear wheels on the ground. Regen and transmission are front wheels, it's being towed forwards so the rolling is forwards rather than backwards and anyway there isn't hill assist.

I suspect that it works just fine being towed front wheels up - make sure the handbrake is off though! However putting it on a flatbed is just like the car being parked so the engineers prefer that from a less risky perspective.

When you say "make sure the hand brake is off" do you mean the "B" gear selection? Parking brake?

I presume the car would need to be put in Neutral for towing with the front wheels off the ground. Is that correct?

By handbrake I mean the little parking brake switch down by the parking sensors and eco button switch.

The car is front wheel drive, so with the front wheels off the ground it doesn't matter what position the transmission selector is in. The handbrake/parking brake is the only thing that operates on the rear wheels.

There is an update to the handbrake/parking brake logic where putting the car in park and turning it off automatically sets the brake on, you would have to make sure you didn't trigger that.

Back