JejuSoul

2017 Soul EV to be Charged Wirelessly (!)

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:33 am

I doubt many of these will be made but this is an actual plan.

see http://english.etnews.com/news/article. ... 0504200003
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

kiastormtrooper

Re: 2017 Soul EV to be Charged Wirelessly (!)

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:24 am

That's cool that Kia is looking into wireless charging, but this is the one that made me excited about the technology:

The UK is experimenting on wireless charging while driving! It also says in the article that Korea already has a wireless charging system setup for buses, so the technology is solid. It's just a matter of convincing governments to invest in the infrastructure.
http://www.gizmag.com/uk-electric-highways-trial/38897/
2016 Soul EV base model
Empire Black and White

JejuSoul

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:29 am

-
The reality of a Soul EV with wireless charging is much further advanced than I thought.
There already exist 6 such cars in the US.

Article is here - Kia Soul EV used to develop wireless charging system with Mojo Mobility

The technical write-up for the research project in the US is here
http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014 ... 2014_o.pdf
Last edited by JejuSoul on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

JeroenE

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:58 pm

JejuSoul wrote:The technical write-up for the research project in the US is here

Thanks for the link! They have newer PDF available here.

It seems they are/were having some trouble with contract negotiations. This resulted in a delayed of half a year. So we'll have to wait longer for the real end results.

kiastormtrooper

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:24 am

Plugless sells wireless systems for Leaf, Volt, and Cadillac ELR, but they're pretty pricey, starting at $1260. For a system that maxes out at 3.3kwh, I really don't see the benefit of charging this way.

...but I've been reading that, at least in theory, that wireless charging would be capable of quick-charge speeds. The only problem being that's it's too expensive to implement. Hopefully, Kia's looking into that. :)

fanbanlo

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:06 am

I prefer to have a robot connecting the wire for me for efficiency sake.

JejuSoul

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:03 am

The option for wireless charging is now available.
I like the colour scheme.

Some extra info.
The company that provides this is working with Kia so that the wiring connecting the On Board Charger and the wireless baseplate under the car is installed by a Kia technician. I am not sure this will be available until next year though. It is also possible that Kia will offer this as an option on new cars next year.

JejuSoul

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:17 am

-
Here's a K ona wireless charging at the Geneva Motor Show - ...Hyundai Kona Gets Wireless Charging, & More

JejuSoul

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:28 am

JejuSoul wrote:The reality of a Soul EV with wireless charging is much further advanced than I thought.
There already exist 6 such cars in the US.

The original article is here - Kia Soul EV used to develop wireless charging system with Mojo Mobility

The 3 year test project is now complete - WIRELESS CHARGING SYSTEM DEVELOPED ON KIA SOUL EV

The last technical paper I could find was June 2016 - High Efficiency, Low EMI and Positioning Tolerant Wireless Charging of EVs

Return to “Technical Discussions”