Setting up Torque to show BMS data

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a bit more info about the deterioration values from the Torque dashboard from my new battery pack:

8C6NTZ.md.png

As JejuSoul mentioned, the SOH should've been showing 100% rather than 110% since only 27 kWh is usable. Let me know if I can provide you guys with any more datapoints using the Torque PIDs.

-
Here's some data on how Bolt EV owners are monitoring their cars BMS data using Torque.

From an article here - New details emerge as a few Bolt EV packs continue to fail

The PID codes for use with Torque are here - Chevrolet Bolt OBD2 PIDs

Looking at these OBD codes it is obvious that LG Chem uses different software in its BMS made for the GM Volt and Bolt, than the BMS used in all our Hyundai / Kia cars. But our BMS seems to be internally named "BECM-B+EnergyCtrl" The GM BMS is named "B+EnergyCtrl BECM" , presumably Battery Energy Control Module. And the similarity is surely not a coincidence.

For our BMS see - Re: Soul Spy?
For the GM BMS see - Opel Ampera & Chevrolet Volt Forum: CAN-Hacking (war: OBD2 - ELM327 - Linux)

Reading these 2 links I realise we already knew the GM BMS was the same because the Chevy Spark also uses the same value.

These are screenshots of the Bolt's BMS - it's labelled VITM = Voltage Current Temperature Management. The screenshots comes from a battery reassembly YouTube video by Professor John Kelley at Weber State University. - 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Reassembly

Oh sweet, good find and thanks for posting that info about the Bolt EV Torque PIDs! I also own a Bolt EV, so this will surely come in handy. Until now the car has performed as expected, so I didn't care much for the technicals, but this will make it fun/educational to see what's going on. :geek: I will keep those things mentioned in the article in mind and perhaps keep a log on the individual battery cell voltages (all 96 of them!)

Not to get too off topic, but here's some data from my Bolt EV after 28k miles:

89SwU5.md.png

Comparing the battery capacity of that user's car (60.53 kWh), mine is tiny bit lower at 59.4 kWh, but still within spec. In the screenshot you can see the car is now happily charging at level 2 AC @ 7.4 kW and the TMS is doing it's thing to keep the battery temp perfectly at 73.4F. Active liquid cooling FTW! :D

-
First some info on how I use these Torque Pro codes.

1/ I use a really old android tablet with Torque. I don't mind leaving it in the car while I am elsewhere. I leave it in so I can record charging sessions.
2/ I use a really old version of Torque because the latest version doesn't work on old phones. (It is also the reason why EVNotify doesn't work for me)
3/ I don't use the calculations because many of them require the newer versions of Torque.

I didn't write the calculation codes and until now I didn't use the uploaded dashboards. But most users do want to use the dashboards because it saves so most time. Hence we get lots of questions on how to use / understand the dashboards. So I have now uploaded my own. - JejuSoul_800x1280_xhdpi.dash If anyone wants me to help problems with the dashboard please ask about this one.
The dashboard pemessier_1080x1920_xxhdpi is too high resolution for my phone. I can't use it. But I have copied one of the pages from it to my dashboard so I can show it working.

------------------------------------------------------

Here's an image from my car.

Everything is working fine, and is easy to understand. My 'State of Health' is 98.4% which means I have lost 1.6%. My original usable capacity was 27kWh which means I have lost 0.4kWh

Here's an image from a new car. - 2015 Soul EV: My Battery Replacement Story

8CRMba.md.png

This looks really strange because of the limitations in Torque. We cannot do any 'if statements'. What we want to show is that for the first few years the SOH remains at 100% as capacity is lost from an unseen 10% buffer. Once the 10% buffer is gone we start losing SOH.
Instead Torque does simple addition. The buffer is added to the SOH and we show values from 110%. The lost kWh is shown as a positive number. This means we are still in the buffer zone above the 27kWh of usable capacity.

I would far rather most users could use SoulEVspy or OVMS because then we could program the display to show something more intuitive. But for now neither is available and we are stuck with the imperfect Torque Pro.

-
I have decided that the best way to layout the files for the different versions of the Soul EV is to have separate folders.
It means a user need only download all the files in their specific folder, and not have to delete any unnecessary duplicate files within that folder.
So I have created a new folder for the 30kWh Soul EV and renamed the original to show that it is for the 27kWh version.

Also I have removed the file Kia_Soul_EV_OBC2015_data.csv. Almost all cars will now be using the newer 2016 version because the OBC firmware patch that is applied when cars go in to get a service, updates the 2015 firmware to the newer version.

I will next make the changes to the 30kWh version files.
1/ Changed code for the 2018 Soul EV for the VIN year to use the LOOKUP function - this requires the newest version of Torque
Edit - I reverted this code to use the simpler formula - so all versions of Torque can use it. But it only works on cars 2018+
2/ Update Kia_Soul_EV_BMS_data.csv to show that there are 100 cells not 96
Edit - I removed the cell labelled 101 from cell data and added it to BMS data as unknown cell voltage.
see Usikker's comment here - Soul Spy?
3/ Changed Kia_Soul_EV_Extra_gauges.csv to use 30kWh not 27kWh
4/ Updated Spreadsheet_2018_Kia_Soul_EV_BMS_2101_2105 with data from Usikker's 2018 30kWh Soul EV.
5/ Remove Cell Voltage 101 from Kia_Soul_EV_Battery_Cell_2018_data.csv because this battery only has 100 cells.
6/ Add 3 Unknown Cell Voltages to Kia_Soul_EV_BMS_data.csv. Can anyone confirm what these are?

Great job JeJuSoul, I will download the files and update my pad and see how it works

Ref your nr. 6... I'm going to have a 15000km service very soon (few days) and I'm going to ask about this because as I have showed before it seem to be more Bat.Cell in the car
In all my SoulSpy log's I can see that the cell you have added is having the same values as the rest of the battery pack

A question... do yo think it is possible to get the odometer value in Torque ?

In SoulSpy log I can see this 4F0 00 00 24 00 00 59 9B 01 and if you take the red value in opposite direction you get this 019B59 and from that I can see it will be 10530.5km and when I had that value it was the same on my odometer

Made a speed test a few days ago and I'm not sure Torque is logging the correct value or at least it is not showing the same as the speedometer and the GPS in my tablet.
As you can see on the attached picture there is a mismatch from GPS speed and 003 Real speed, and the max speed I had was 145Km in front of me at the speedometer so the GPS is very close

-
Torque on my car displays the real speed.
The 145Km/h in front of you at the speedometer is not real speed. They exaggerate by about 6%.
To see the real speed look at the navigation display when you are near a speed camera.

An example below. The speedometer would show about 84km/h.

The police speed camera display now shows average speed when the police are doing checks between two points.
In the picture below -
camera speed = 80 km/h center
real speed = 80 km/h top
avg speed = 74 km/h right
distance to final camera 11.9km bottom

I don't know why the GPS speed on your car is closer to the display speed. What do you see on the navigation screen for real speed?

Here is a plot from a car in Spain comparing GPS speed and the value for real speed from Torque.
Apart from a few glitches in the Torque data they are identical.

This is all info I have in navi/map

No speed information, only a sign telling me the speed limit on the road I am on but...
A bigger problem with the navi here in Norway is that the map is very out of date, mine is at least 3 years old and Kia is only offering 1 update pr. year (for free the 3 first years) and then you have to pay so it is easier to buy a garmin with lifetime update and keep the POI update with photoboxes ;-)

-
I want to rename the code 'Brake Switch'. to 'Brakes On'
Currently it shows the value 1 when the brakes are off, and zero when the brakes are on.
I would prefer the other way round.
When 'Brakes On' is on you are pushing the brake pedal or getting regen braking, zero otherwise.

The code we are using now is
003_VMCU Brake sw,Brake sw,2100,{j:1},0,1,,7E2

I want to change it to
003_VMCU Brakes On,Brakes On,2100,{J:1} -1 * -1},0,1,,7E2

It's a weird formula because Torque lacks the bitwise NOT operator !
I will probably leave the old value in place because it is used in some of the dashboards.
My dashboards will replace that setting with the newer version.

More info on the original finding of this value here - http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=471&p=3404#p3404
We also need additional testing to see how this value varies in the case when regen braking requires additional friction braking to slow the car.

Note - On the Ray EV we have the PID
003_VMCU Brake Pedal Depth,Brake Pedal,2102,e,0,100,%,7E2
This code is far more useful but we have never found it on the other cars.

--------------------------------------------

I just did a test of this PID on my Soul EV. 30 minutes driving in B mode and 30 minutes in D mode.
In B mode the brake lamp is on when the brakes on switch is on and vice versa.
But
In D mode there were 8 occurrences of a few seconds each where
The car is doing regen but not slowing down, the brake lamp is off and the brakes on switch is on.

-
Have made the following corrections in the Soul EV VMCU file. Both 27kWh and 30kWh

003_VMCU Inverter Input Voltage,Inverter,2102,f*2,0,360,V,7E2
003_VMCU EWP speed,EWP speed,2102,g,0,190,,7E2
003_VMCU EWP Control Target RPM Request,EWP Target,2102,h,0,190,,7E2

003_VMCU Motor U Phase Current Sensor Offset,U Phase,2102,((aa<8)+z),0,1000,,7E2
003_VMCU Motor V Phase Current Sensor Offset,V Phase,2102,((ac<8)+ab),0,1000,,7E2

Can someone with 30kWh Soul EV confirm these.

Edit - Have now corrected these - thanks Ussiker.

JejuSoul, I just traded in one of my 2016 Soul EV+ for a 2018 EV+ and have not been able to find the 2018 files. I'd be glad to test those updates but would like to start with the current files. I still have one 2016 so I want to be able to use one set of PID codes for both cars.

I can test on my 30kw but when I add these to Torque the RED lines are now showing up, it seems to me that they miss something

003_VMCU Inverter Input Voltage: 7E2, 2102, f*2
003_VMCU EWP speed,EWP speed,2102,g,0,190,,7E2
003_VMCU EWP Control Target RPM Request,EWP Target,2102,h,0,190,,7E2

003_VMCU Motor U Phase Current Sensor Offset: 7E2, 2102, ((aa<8)+z),0,1000,,7E2
003_VMCU Motor V Phase Current Sensor Offset,V Phase,2102,((ac<8)+ab),0,1000,,7E2

@GizmoEV, you will find the files here:
https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/tree/master/Soul%20EV%20-%2030kWh/extendedpids

GizmoEV said:
The lines in red have a : when maybe it should be a ,?

I think so but there is still some info missing
From the header in this files they should have all these fields

Name,ShortName,ModeAndPID,Equation,Min Value,Max Value,Units,Header

GizmoEV said:
.. I want to be able to use one set of PID codes for both cars.
Use the 2018 files. The only new item you will see are the extra 4 cells 97 - 100.
They will show as zero on the 2016.
Am hoping that Siluzium will add his dashboard for the 2018 this week.
These images are from his new dashboard.

But the calculations showing SOH will be completely wrong on the other car.
You will need to ignore these on the 2nd car.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ussiker, thanks for telling me the VMCU code are wrong. I will fix them now.
The codes on github, and the codes above on this page are now corrected.
-

-
Am now looking at some of the new 2018 Soul EV Torque data. It is showing Max Det = zero and Min Det = 100%.
This is not the same behaviour as previous Soul EVs. It is the same as the I oniq EV.
In that car Max Det and Min Det have been removed and instead it shows SOH in the same position.
GizmoEV can you test this on your car.

Also to get the Year data to work on both a 2016 and a 2018 you will have to use the new PID for Year that uses the LOOKUP function.
Because this function is only just available in the very latest version of Torque, I haven't included it on github yet.
The versions currently installed will work for 2016 or 2018 but not both.

-

Back