OVMS for the Kia Soul EV (to remotely access it without UVO)

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a small update on OVMS V3.

I can now lock and unlock doors from a car that is properly off. For real this time! I can open the trunk, and I have implemented a feature where you can use the third "trunk" button on the key fob to open the charge port. (Do anyone know what that button does anyway?)

M-can is being reverse engineered, but what we have found there is currently not very useful.
The search for remote climate control is ongoing. I hope to get some help in this thread: http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=877

The core OVMS team is busy adding more and more features. I have a hard time keeping track with what they do.
Multiple can-buses are looking stable now. There are some issues with GPS and SD-card I believe, but WiFi and GSM/3G seems to work ok. I haven't properly tested the roaming from WiFi to GSM and back to WiFi myself, but it seems to be mostly in place and should in work, in theory.
SMS support is still missing. Same goes for Bluetooth and MQTT.
Communication with the OVMS V2 server is finished, so except from the missing GSM and GPS, the Kia Soul functionality are now on par and better than the V2.

Scripting works just great too. From there you can do all the aforementioned stuff, like lock/unlock doors, but also turn on and off lights, and even access commands not directly supported, by sending commands directly to a spesific ECU. Maybe soon we could have a script like the Tesla Easter Egg? ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31yr1Dtq2Qo

But, maybe best of all: No special hardware, nor skills are needed to set up and update the firmware on V3 :)

Now, I really look forward to getting a case for the OVMS-board...

Fantastic!!!

Great job!!!
If I had a V3 I would definitely help him at work.

image.gif

Not really. The hardware har proven to be a challenge, so there has been some setbacks. But, there will be a limited number of OVMS V3-boxes for sale in Mars, I hope. These are meant for the early adopters who aren't afraid of bugs and manual firmware updates.

When it comes to the Kia Soul functionality, there's not much more to say at the moment. Preheating is still not possible :(

thank you very much.

for what you comment it is not very complex to update the soft.
Maybe I dare to acquire one of the first version

Javi, I tried to send you a reply to your mailaddress, but I got the email in return for some reason.

I haven't received my V3.1-module yet, so I'm afraid I can't help you much at the moment, but I can say that the WiFi-antenna is built in. The external antennas are for GPS and GSM/3G only.
There have been so incredibly much happening that I haven't been able to keep up with all the new stuff the rest of the OVMS-team have been doing for the last couple of months. I'll have to learn it my self when I finally get my V3.1-module :)

Are there any one else here who have received their OVMS V.3.1?

I finally got mine yesterday :D

Had some problems with the SD-card-reader and it took a while before I got the 3G-connection to work. I think both problems where due to bad connections and flimsy holders.

Everything else was fairly ok to setup when following the user guide. I got connected via WiFi and opened 192.168.4.1 in the web-browser. I sat WiFi up with AP+Client and it seems to work just fine for me.
The most confusing is all the usernames and passwords. There is the admin-user and password on the OVMS-unit, the user and password for the openvehicles.com page and the vehicle Id and password on the tmc.openvehicles.com server. Yeah, and of course all the WiFi-SSID and passwords...

Javi, do you still have issues with WiFi on your unit?

I didn't have much time to play with this yesterday, but today I finally got to test it properly in the car on my way to work. There is quite a lot of bugs in the Kia Soul-specific code. Some things was working earlier on my developer unit, so I suspect there are some timing/resource issues due to changes in the "framework" that is causing these errors. Some have been fixed in my developer version, but those changes have not yet been pulled into the official version.

Among the things I've found is:
* SOC is stuck at 100%,
* TPMS is not working anymore
* It seems I've managed to swap ideal range and estimated range.
* Speed is not working
* Plus a host of other, more internal things.

Anyone found anything else to report?

Please also note that most of the xks-commands are experimental and do not work properly.

Yes, I have problems with wifi.
Now I have it stopped, a lot of work in my company

Wi-Fi restored :D

I can configure the module. I can already verify that regeneration and consumption do not work. You're right.

All right. Now to fight with the app.

Great news, Javi!

Please upgrade to firmware 3.1.005. It is much more useful than 3.1.004!

Can you verify that lock and unlock door works on your car? And can you test to see if you can open the charge port when holding the "hold-button" on the key fob?

I have not managed to configure the app.
Can you guide me how to do it?

To download the .bin file, what is the right place?

regards

-
Attn: All OVMS users
We are pleased to announce the availability of production volume for OVMS v3.1
see - OVMS v3.1 Production
and - https://www.fasttech.com/search?ovms

I'm interested and want to know what cable to get. I do not intend to buy a 3G Modem Module.
Instead I will always connect to the box via WiFi.

I see this in the user manual
KS Kia Soul EV
ODB-II cable
The Kia Soul EV have two different CAN-busses available on the ODB-II port: C-can and M-can.

C-can is the main can-bus and M-can is the multimedia bus. The latter one is not necessary for OVMS, but some metrics are fetched from the M-bus and these metrics will be empty if you don’t have the proper cable. The standard ODB-II to DB9 cable from Fasttech supports only C-can.
In the future, there might be more useful data/functionality on the M-can, so we recommend having a cable that supports both C-can and M-can.
Note ODB-II, should be OBD-II
I do want to be able to connect to the M-Can. So where do I get the necessary cable.

-
Javi - can you be a bit more specific. Which cable did you chose. Can you see both C-can and M-can.

In the manual it is written that, "The standard ODB-II to DB9 cable from Fasttech supports only C-can".
I want to be able to see both C-can and M-can.

Which of these is the one to get.

I have also asked this question on the German forum - OVMS für den Soul

read your question wrong :oops:

you need a modified obd2, includes usb cable.
In Amazon in your area there may be units

Or you can modify one https://topscantool.com/modify-mscan-elm327-using-forscan.html

I'm pretty sure Mark, the main buy behind OVMS, is ordering some OBD-II cables now for the Kia Soul which will be available from FastTech.

For my OVMS, I simply bought a OBD-II pigtail and a DB-9 connector and made my own.

goev said:
Fasttech will get Kia-specific OBD II-cables in a couple of week.
Good news.
Presumably you mean Kia Soul EV-specific OBD II-cables.
That is the car I have, so that is the cable I want.
I will also test it on the Kia Ray EV and the Kia N iro EV when I get the chance.

Back