brakes failed

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
friendl said:
I just had the same failed brakes problem - was in regenerative brake mode with ECO on. That slowed me to about 10 km/hr then the last bit I applied my brake to stop and the brake did not engage. There was no resistance from the brake pedal whatsoever and the pedal went down to the floor. I am sure this was not a case of pedal misapplication - there was no acceleration of the car. There was simply no braking. In short, I ran into the car which was stopped in front of me. Luckily no one was hurt but obviously this is a serious safety concern.

It was exactly the same situation!! I think we need to organize to do something...

Also, I always keep a distance and have a sticker on the back for other drivers to "Keep a distance"

This is the first accident in my 20 years driving career ...

Wow, this really sucks for anyone affected. Please definitely report this to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Perhaps there's a real issue that needs to be looked at.

One question to everyone who experienced this, was the brake fluid at a normal level? The descriptions seem consistent with low or air in the brake lines. Then again, if these cars have brake by wire setups, it could be an electrical issue too.

I didn't notice Greg's question about the brake fluid but Kia sent their own rep out to look at the car after this happened and they made absolutely no mention of anything being abnormal. Certainly didn't call out the brake fluid which I'd think they'd do if they noticed that.

Nicodemus said:
My brakes are knocking/clunking in my 2018 with 7000 miles on it and this thread has me terrified!
If you had read this thread you would have spotted from October 2016.

mtndrew1 said:
I forgot to post here, but my dealer replaced my iBAU due to excessive clunking/banging noises. The new unit is silent in the regen/friction transition and while creeping at low speeds. These were the conditions which made the most noise before.
And then a search on this forum for IBAU turns up this from November 2016 - Check Brake warning

JejuSoul said:
There have been a few more reports of replaced IBAU brake units. Mostly because the brakes made a clunking sound. It doesn't seem to be a safety issue. Can someone confirm if there is actually a new version.
Another report is on the Soul EV facebook page. - https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoulEV/permalink/1158064077607537/
"Just got my car back a month ago after the dealer had it for 2 weeks for a integrated brake actuator unit failure."

There has been nothing added to these threads for four years so I doubt this is a major issue.

And by searching the Internet for integrated brake actuator unit I found that this same issue occurs (very rarely) on the Ioniq Electric :-
Integrated Brake Actuation unit replacement.
bluecar1 said:
the integrated Brake Actuator if the unit behind the brake peddle that give the resistance you feel when the car is regen braking and also when you push further down on the brake works the mechanical brakes the same as normal cars

Back