OVMS for the Kia Soul EV (to remotely access it without UVO)

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it also works on the Fiat 500e, so I guess it isn't strictly Kia-specific either ;)

On a side note, I've ordered the new Kia Niro Electric and will hopefully get it at the end of this year. I hope that cable will work on the Niro too. I'm curious to see how much of the code that can be reused for the Niro.

all right. I go back to fight with the ovms hehe.

To activate the opening of the loading port, must this function be activated?

20z2slh.jpg

When I finish my work, I release it.

Well, it works.
It does not indicate the pressure of the wheels and there will be no load gate.

very happy with the OVMS. great job.

2utsso1.jpg

indicate the lights on is very funny

1zf5v0i.jpg

Hello,
New to OVMS and Kia Soul Forums. Just setup OVMS V3 module on my 2018 Kia Soul EV today since in Canada there is no UVO for the Kia Soul. App displays charge/lights/doorlock/temp corrrectly. However I am having some of the following issues and wondering if anyone has run into the same:
-Lock and unlock operates all the doors EXCEPT the driver door
-Radio turns on automatically and starts playing music while module is connected.
-Sometimes when I press the lock button on my key fob, I get a unregistered command notification from the OVMS app

I have unplugged the OVMS v3 module for now until I get some advise.
Thanks

hi
In my model, EU version, I do not receive the data that comments.

Have you installed the latest firmware? v3.1.008. ?

-
Good news. There is now an OVMS cable specific to the Kia Soul EV available. This allows the OVMS module to access the second CANbus.

Kia Soul OBD-II to DB9 Data Cable for OVMS

Details:

Kia Soul specific OBD-II pin-out
Pinout:
J1962-M DB9-F Signal
4 3 Chassis/Power GND
6 7 CAN-H (primary CAN)
14 2 CAN-L (primary CAN)
1 5 CAN-H (alternate CAN)
9 4 CAN-L (alternate CAN)
16 9 +12V Vehicle Power

-
The simple cable gives you access to the primary CAN. This gives access to various control systems of the car. BMS, OBC, TPMS ...
I already have access to these using a Bluetooth adapter and Torque.
There was no strong reason for me to switch to using OVMS before now.

The new cable allows access to a second CAN. This is where the data for the Navi, Climate system and UVO will be found.
This data I have not seen before, and I am hoping that it will eventually allow OVMS to act as a UVO replacement.

Perhaps!

aburdek said:
Hello,
New to OVMS and Kia Soul Forums. Just setup OVMS V3 module on my 2018 Kia Soul EV today since in Canada there is no UVO for the Kia Soul. App displays charge/lights/doorlock/temp corrrectly. However I am having some of the following issues and wondering if anyone has run into the same:
-Lock and unlock operates all the doors EXCEPT the driver door
-Radio turns on automatically and starts playing music while module is connected.
-Sometimes when I press the lock button on my key fob, I get a unregistered command notification from the OVMS app

I have unplugged the OVMS v3 module for now until I get some advise.
Thanks

I noticed the Lock and Unlock works except the driver door too. Sometimes the lock and unlock doesn't work at all.
No issues with the radio
The Charge Door open button, doesn't always work.

me too.

Locking doors sometimes works, also charger door (only flashing light left side), and I also get error message.

Version 3.1.08, OVMS EU version.

I'm waiting for version 3.1.10.

Is it possible to download now?

Thank you.

Hi guys! Happy new year!

I've just sent my latest Kia Soul EV-code to the master repository, so hopefully a new and improved version will be available to all soon!
The main issue that has been fixed, hopefully, is the 12V battery drain that some have reported. A side effect of that is that the "radio turning on randomly" issue will be less visible. It will only happen when someone is using the OVMS app. In order to read the door lock status (locked or unlocked), OVMS has to turn on parts of the car for a second. If you turned off the car with the radio on, the radio will turn on swiftly when this happens.
Opening the charge port using the key fob is now working every time for me on my car. I hope it will work on yours too.
When locking or unlocking the doors using the OVMS APP, only the left side indicators will flash. This is because it was easiest.

There are a few other bugs fixed also, so I hope this will be a much more stable version!

The main developers are planning a new release this weekend.

I've been running on the new Kia Soul-part for a few days now and my 12V voltage-logger shows almost no drain! I am very pleased :D
Also I've tried to minimize the need for waking up the car (and the sometimes the radio) momentarily to check the door lock status. Now it will happen when the OVM APP connects with the OVMS and when you ask the OVMS to lock / unlock the doors.

Hey everyone - I'm wondering if those using OVMS on the Soul EV have any updates they can share? We own a Hyundai Ioniq which shares most of it's PID's (and from what I gather, most of it's build hardware) with the Kia Soul, so I'm fairly confident that OVMS will work just fine on it so long as the Kia Soul BEV integration is coming along. On the Torque app for example Ioniq owners simply load the Soul BEV PID set and it interacts perfectly. With Kia and Hyundai being sister companies this makes sense - there's also many other similarities - the dashboard displays are very similar, the infotainment GUI is the exact same, etc etc.

We just moved from a Chevy Volt and my wife is dearly missing her OnStar functionality for preconditioning, locking and unlocking, etc etc. It seems like OVMS is the best avenue to pursue right now so far as support and functionality, so I'm on the edge of buying one of the kits, but I'd like to hear more about people using it on their Soul's first and see exactly what is working, what isn't, etc.

-
Not all the codes on these cars are the same. But yes most are.
As far as I know no one is using the OVMS app on the I oniq.
Unless you are willing and able to do some development work to fix any problems, I would not recommend OVMS for the current I oniq.

The developer of the OVMS app for the Kia Soul EV is currently working on the Kia N iro EV. (in Norwegian) :- Kia Niro EV »OVMS support?

Another app that was developed on the I oniq is :- EVNotify

Back