Heat Pump vs No Heat Pump

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1979mini

This is a technical question, and I hope someone has already figured out the answer.

How can you tell if your Soul EV has a heat pump or not?

Looking under the hood at the AC plumbing, the heat pump version has extra valve blocks to switch it from AC to heat pump.

-
Good question.
I have a heat pump. The valves look like this.

Can someone without a heat pump post an image of their valves.

For the vehicle we are considering, it was listed on the build sheet the dealer gave me - do you have that for your vehicle?

This is mine (2015 MY), Soul EV shipped and sold in CA. Looks like I too have a heat pump?

Aie4ka.md.jpg

I thought all Soul EVs came with heat pump? Only the battery heater was optional, and mostly available in colder climates (e.g. Canada).

-
Yes. There are cars with no heat pump.

CanadianLurker said:
...Indeed, in Canada we get the Battery Heater as standard equipment. On the other hand, the Heat Pump is only available on the "Luxury" trim which includes a number of other extras over the Base model.
----------------------------------------------------
Also in Korea. Before 2017 I think all Soul EVs sold in Korea had a heat pump, and no battery heater.
In MY2018 a choice was added. Standard and Economy.
The Economy version lacks the heat pump.
Hence there must now be some cars here without a heat pump.

Here's a chart showing the EVs currently available in Korea, and the subsidies they receive.
I have highlighted the MY2018 Soul EV in red and the I oniq Electric in blue.

The two versions of the MY2018 Soul EV sold here are the Standard and Economy.
One of the differences is that the Economy version lacks the heat pump.
This causes a 15km reduction in range when the temperature is -7C.

The comparison for the I oniq Electric is with and without the winter package.
The winter package includes the heat pump.
This causes a 7km increase in range when the temperature is -7C.

I think having the winter range listed for both versions is really useful for buyers in deciding whether to spend the extra on the winter package.

The range is lab tested like this. But I don't think they do a charging test. Hence we don't get to see the benefit of the battery heater.

Also see - [Solved] Dynamometer ... FAIL !

-

How can you tell if the battery has heating or not? I just ordered my Soul EV 2018 with all the extras (only 2 choices really... metallic paintjob and ventilated leather seats).

Cheers!

Back