Am I nuts in Minnesota?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerbroker

Help me out here... am I completely nuts to be considering buying an out of state Soul EV and bringing it to Minnesota? The Soul EV is so much more appealing than it's competitors to me and it seems like it has gotten great reviews and owner testimonies. I am currently a Tesla owner and this EV would replace the lone ICE left in my garage.

Naturally, my biggest concern is drive unit and battery service. The nearest dealer capable of servicing the EV components would be 1500 miles away. Other non-EV specific service could be completed easily enough. My previous EV experience tells me that there isn't much to worry about with regards to drive unit and battery issues, especially in the short-term.

Do I suck it up and buy the ugly, less capable LEAF? Or could I make it work with the Soul in MN?

Can't be any worse than Goofcat (see bottom of pg 2 of the Kia best price thread) who ordered one and had it shipped to Maui! Being a first-time EV owner, I can only go by what the dealership told me, what I've read, and what the service schedule indicates - but the maintenance is minimal - rotate the tires, change the air filter. With the regen-braking, the brakes will apparently have 8-10 years of life. The only risk would be a major recall and service required for the battery or engine system. Besides, surely within the next 1 - 2 years Kia will kick up production and roll it out to the entire US, Canada, and hopefully the world!

I plan on shipping one from Georgia to NY once they're available there. I'm super pissed that Kia changed their plans about offering the car in NY this year. The only concern I have is that I want to lease, not buy, and I'm not sure if a Georgia dealer will be willing or able to do a NY lease.

I'm also in MN and want a Soul EV. We currently have a Focus Electric and Fusion Energi. Our Focus Electric lease will be ending in 2016 and we really like the idea of a Soul EV to replace it. I'd be really interested to know what your experience is should you decide to import one to MN. My biggest concern would be a recall or major component failure. I don't expect maintenance to be an issue.

Just do it! The Soul EV+ is so cold weather ready. It's got heated steering wheel, front and back seats are heated. You can warm up the car while it's plugged in too!

Seriously don't worry about it. Go lease one and have it shipped to MN. The Soul is in a whole different class of EV's then the LEAF. The Soul, like the Tesla, is a car first, then an EV second. There is nothing gimmicky with this car, it is a straight up great car that happens to be electric drive.

Shipping for me was very simple. Kia finance did not bat an eyelash when I told them I wanted to ship it Maui. They just sent me the necessary paper work. By leasing my in CA I got the $7500, tax break right away. Kia threw in $1,500 and the Dealer knocked off $1000. If I really like how things are going after 3 years, I can buy the car and they can finance that. So my purchase price for the Soul EV+ would be $25K, that is the price of an ICE Soul!

Goofcat said:
Just do it! The Soul EV+ is so cold weather ready. It's got heated steering wheel, front and back seats are heated. You can warm up the car while it's plugged in too!

Seriously don't worry about it. Go lease one and have it shipped to MN. The Soul is in a whole different class of EV's then the LEAF. The Soul, like the Tesla, is a car first, then an EV second. There is nothing gimmicky with this car, it is a straight up great car that happens to be electric drive.

Shipping for me was very simple. Kia finance did not bat an eyelash when I told them I wanted to ship it Maui. They just sent me the necessary paper work. By leasing my in CA I got the $7500, tax break right away. Kia threw in $1,500 and the Dealer knocked off $1000. If I really like how things are going after 3 years, I can buy the car and they can finance that. So my purchase price for the Soul EV+ would be $25K, that is the price of an ICE Soul!
Were you given any information about servicing it? What happens if the Powertrain has an issue?

My experience tells me that you should contact KIA Consumer Assistance (1-800-333-4542) before your purchase..

Dealer/KIA repair policies vary & it wouldn't hurt to also contact nearby dealerships.

Good Luck.

Back