82 Mile Range 100% Charged

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulEV55

I purchased my Soul EV about 2 weeks ago. I was promised 93 mile range but should expect closer to 100 miles. I drive very conservatively and rarely run the a/c or heat. So, far I have been experiencing 80-87 miles which has been disappointing. I understand that it depends on driving conditions, etc, but I couldn't be any more conservative with the speed, etc. My last EV readings at 100% charged... only 85, 83 82 miles..... :(

SoulEV55 said:
I purchased my Soul EV about 2 weeks ago. I was promised 93 mile range but should expect closer to 100 miles. I drive very conservatively and rarely run the a/c or heat. So, far I have been experiencing 80-87 miles which has been disappointing. I understand that it depends on driving conditions, etc, but I couldn't be any more conservative with the speed, etc. My last EV readings at 100% charged... only 85, 83 82 miles..... :(
Speed? Weather? Terrain? Heat/defroster on how rarely? Load? Any or all of these will affect your range, as will your driving habits. It helps if you list your city and state in your profile, so people can get a general idea of what part of the country you're in when considering range issues.

I live and work in San Diego so the weather is very moderate. So far I haven't had need for heat or defrost. Also, I haven't been using the a/c because I am trying figure out the maximum range I can achieve. My compute is about 15 miles with about half city streets half highway. I also have a regular trip that is 40 miles each way mostly highway at 65 mph. This trip puts me at 0 range when I return. I took the vehicle to the dealer yesterday, so it will be interesting what they determine. Everything else with the car has been awesome, but obviously the range is a major concern.

Is it the case you have mostly uphill road to your home (last 20 miles)? I suppose your range is calculated using last aprox. 20 miles consumption before recharging.

I have seen the same on mine, if you leave the climate control in auto, it reduces the range on the meter, try turning it to off if you haven't already done so. Try looking at the energy screen that shows what is using power (electronics, drive motor, or cliamate). Also, uphill does use a lot more power (especially freeway speed uphill). I live on a hill with a 62 mile RT commute and I get to work using only 15-20% of the battery, but when I get home I am between high 30's or 40"s remaining depending on how much traffic slows the average speed down. I drive it like a regular car mostly in "B" and my recharged range readout is between 90 and 110 depending on traffic for my route home.

I just picked up my EV on Saturday, so little real world experience with it so far. I don't know what charging method you are using, but I recall the manual mentioning that using a Quick Charge station too often can reduce the overall range seen at 100%

My car is doing the same. I always charge it at home using a standard outlet and when I first got the car, it used to show 93 miles when at 100% charge. Now, for some odd reason, it's only showing 83 mi when fully charged to 100%. What gives?

Back