Range from 100% Charge Dropping

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most EV companies won't.

that's because there are lots of people who will try to get the Battery warranty if they even notice their total capacity going down after a year.

Montanvs said:
Interesting read. I wonder if there is a way to actually check how much charge you have at 100%. Ie. how much has you capacity decreased from the original (if at all).

Yes, your dealer is able to run a diagnostic on the health of your vehicle's battery pack to determine its actual max charge capacity and to identify defective cells.

I’m using on average 18.5 kw/100km right now in the winter. If the usable battery size is 27kw that would seem to indicate my range should be closer to 150km. Instead I’m barely showing 100-110km. Something doesn’t add up.

-
I live on an island with a mild climate. My car is 2 1/2 years old has has suffered only one night below freezing. I reported on this earlier in this thread in January 2016. My normal GOM reading is about 180km. The SOH of my car is still close to 100%. But just for that one night the GOM was 108km.

From Kia's FAQ:

How is Distance to Empty (DTE) or driving range calculated?
The DTE is calculated based on your past driving pattern. It is calculated by using the average distance of the past 20 cycles and considering the operation of the HVAC system or the road conditions classified by navigation. If the driving pattern is changed, an estimation may occur, e.g., when you drive on the freeway over the weekend after driving on slow-speed streets during weekdays.

Source: https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/ev-faqs_2018/range

Back