100% charge but only 65 mile range

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evsoulkia

I took my 2016 ev into the dealer. They did several recall updates and software updates. When I left the dealer I was getting around 100 mile range at 100% charge. Each day that went by the range kept dropping. I'm now back down to 65 mile. I'm back at the dealer. I'm guessing from reading other posts that at 36k and living in ca I'll need a new battery.

I wonder whether your battery actually delivers just 65 miles range with 100% battery or that your GOM-range shows 65 miles with 100% batt. ?

My '15 Soul-EV GOM-range initially shows 86 miles with 100% batt. (0.86/%) , but I actually get 70 miles using 57 % batt. (1.22 mi/%).
I think I have a bad GOM or ?

GOM not matching the actual range is just that it needs to learn how you are driving the car.

Actual range (regardless of what the GOM reports) being a lot less than it should is a bad battery. Normally as the battery goes bad and the actual range decreases then the range shown on the GOM reduces. A BMS reset clears all the counters and will cause the GOM to show a normal range for a while until it relearns how bad the battery actually is.

I think the GOM is a slow learner as I have been the only driver for 3+ years and set in my driving ways (age 85+).
Of concern, is the battery state.
I assume I am measuring the "actual range" when I calculate the (actual miles driven / batt.-energy-used) X 100.
The last 3 trips (Mostly freeway at 62 mph) avg. 118 mi. for this "actual range".
My GOM shows avg. of 85 mi. at the start these trips (with 100% batt.).

This is currently happening to my EV. It's a 2015 coming to the end of the lease. We had been having an issue over the last few months when charging with the charging shutting off at 100 km (62 miles) when it usually got close to 150km (93 miles) in the summer. We brought it in to the dealership and after they did the update it momentarily improved then dropped to 85 km (53miles). We brought it back and the dealership had the car for several days and couldn't figure it out. They said that the battery was at 75% but it wasn't a warranty issue unless it was 70%. My husband thought the shutting off problem might have been related to the coupling possibly over-heating but that was never determined.

ChargedUp;
To clarify, I read that your GOM shows just 62 miles range when you charge to 100% ? Is that correct ?

What is your "actual range" as I defined in my post of 20-Oct. ?

I assume the dealer measured the Batt. SOHto be =75%

Ed Z.

Back