Rolling in park? Anyone else?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aardvark7 said:
It would seem that you do not know how to drive properly or courteously.

Then again, your post just seems to be its own vehicle for providing web links. Do you get paid for such nonsense?

You're going to continue to take heat for attempting to criticize our lack of 'proper or courteous' driving. Just to ensure I hadn't missed anything when learning how to drive, I went through the MTO's (Ministry of Transportation Ontario) drivers handbook (what you study to pass your driving tests) and not once was there reference to activating your parking brake while at a stop light; parking brakes were only referred to when actually parking or in an emergency if your regular brakes have failed. I also completed both in-class and on-road driving school, and not once was I instructed to activate my parking brake at a stop light.

In regards to your second point, I'm reasonably certain these forums automatically insert links for certain words. Words like LEAF, Blink, or EVSE. (I have not done any formatting to those words)

I'm happy to accept your explanation for the links. I don't think the administrators should do that, but it's their forum.

As to mode of driving, I think much of this hinges on the American terminology and that the vast majority in North America use automatic cars.
Here in the UK, it is a 'handbrake', not a 'parking brake', as it is not solely for use when parked.

Furthermore, if you took your test in a manual car and did not apply the handbrake on hills you would almost certainly fail for unsafe practice.
Not only that, but you would cause damage to the car by riding the clutch (in the worst case scenario the clutch could be almost red hot from the constant friction holding a ton or more of car!).

To go back to the very original point about the car rolling if left in 'P', the Soul manual (as I'm sure does every single automatic car!) specifically states that they should not be left without the 'Parking brake' applied as damage can be caused. How is it often said?... 'Read the f***ing manual!'

What's most astonishing, in this particular case, is that it is so easy to use the 'parking brake' in the Soul.

You come up to a set of lights on red, for example, and press on the brake until you come to a stop. Then, without having to do anything else, you flick the 'parking brake' switch.
Then you can sit without your feet on anything other than the floor and just have to press the accelerator to move off.

Please, someone tell me what is hard about that?

If anyone thinks that is some form of burden, or complication, then I'm more worried about the quality of their driving than I ever was before!
On that I would add that I'm amazed that no-one here is ever dazzled by lights in front, or considers that some drivers may be. If you can avoid doing so, is that not courtesy?

aardvark7 said:
I'm happy to accept your explanation for the links. I don't think the administrators should do that, but it's their forum.

As to mode of driving, I think much of this hinges on the American terminology and that the vast majority in North America use automatic cars.
Here in the UK, it is a 'handbrake', not a 'parking brake', as it is not solely for use when parked.

Furthermore, if you took your test in a manual car and did not apply the handbrake on hills you would almost certainly fail for unsafe practice.
Not only that, but you would cause damage to the car by riding the clutch (in the worst case scenario the clutch could be almost red hot from the constant friction holding a ton or more of car!).

To go back to the very original point about the car rolling if left in 'P', the Soul manual (as I'm sure does every single automatic car!) specifically states that they should not be left without the 'Parking brake' applied as damage can be caused. How is it often said?... 'Read the f***ing manual!'

What's most astonishing, in this particular case, is that it is so easy to use the 'parking brake' in the Soul.

You come up to a set of lights on red, for example, and press on the brake until you come to a stop. Then, without having to do anything else, you flick the 'parking brake' switch.
Then you can sit without your feet on anything other than the floor and just have to press the accelerator to move off.

Please, someone tell me what is hard about that?

If anyone thinks that is some form of burden, or complication, then I'm more worried about the quality of their driving than I ever was before!
On that I would add that I'm amazed that no-one here is ever dazzled by lights in front, or considers that some drivers may be. If you can avoid doing so, is that not courtesy?

I don't think anyone here is saying that this is difficult . I'm just saying there's no point to it whatsoever and in all my years of driving and all the driving improvement classes I've taken, nobody has ever even casually mentioned this procedure. I've never read anything like this before (aside from this thread) and in the thousands of other cars I've ridden in during my life, in many countries, I've never seen anyone set a parking/hand brake at a stop light. Not once. I'd be just as perplexed if you were suggesting that one should stand on their head at a stoplight, that's how far removed from anything I've ever experienced your advise is.

As for light dazzling, I would bet actual money that if you were at any major intersection in the state of California with a hundred cars waiting at a light, exactly one hundred of them would have their brake lights illuminated for the entire duration of time they waited for the green.

aardvark7 said:

I have never driven a manual car, and thanks to electrics, never plan to.

I've always preferred to use the parking brake when I'm actually parking. It's simple enough (especially on the Soul, where it disengages itself).

Honestly, if at night, a car in front of me had no brake lights on, I'd assume something was wrong, whether their car may have died or their brake lights are out (something you can receive a fine/ticket for, at least here in Ontario).

In America when you put your AT in Park you're going nowhere. So, unless you live in San Francisco and park on a steep hill, using the "handbrake" is basically pointless.

And too much work.

And as far as that being a courtesy of not shining brake light at those behind you? We would have to have British invasion 2.0 for that to happen here, my friend.

iletric said:
In America when you put your AT in Park you're going nowhere.

And if I'm not mistaken that design is mandated by law. FMVSS requires cars to be able to maintain a position in Park whether or not the brake is engaged, even on steep hills.

Recalls have been initiated for cars that roll away in Park.

I, too, would assume either something was wrong or the motorist ahead of me was immediately planning on accelerating from the stop if their brake lights were not fully illuminated while waiting in line.

aardvark7 said:
Here in the UK, it is a 'handbrake', not a 'parking brake', as it is not solely for use when parked. Furthermore, if you took your test in a manual car and did not apply the handbrake on hills you would almost certainly fail for unsafe practice. Not only that, but you would cause damage to the car by riding the clutch (in the worst case scenario the clutch could be almost red hot from the constant friction holding a ton or more of car!).

In North America, the parking brake for many cars is activated by a ratcheting pedal in the driver's footwell. It is not intended for hill-holding while driving. Electronic parking brakes with a 'hill hold' feature are usefull, but are not yet offered in many vehicles here.

To 'tractioninc', if you had read my earlier post, you would have seen that I owned a Z28 Camaro, which had a foot operated 'parking brake' and I used that in exactly the same way.

To all others, it is clear from this thread that, if you are representative of all American drivers, it shows you in a very bad light as being rude, discourteous, and too lazy to read a handbook.
I think I should also point out that Brake lights and Side lights are two totally different things. Waiting at lights without brake lights showing is not an offence, but just in case any of you are considering coming to the UK, sitting with your brake lights ablaze can be, as you will discover if you follow this thread:

https://www.policeuk.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18000-sitting-in-traffic-with-brake-lights/

You'll also learn that I am not some loon with unique ideas of right and wrong. Indeed, of good drivers, my view is certainly the majority.

As to the requirement for an automatic to have a locking transmission, that is a safety feature. However, having ABS is also a safety feature, but it doesn't mean you should ensure you activate the system every time you come to a stop!

Like I said, if every single one of you gets out the handbook relating to your car, I can guarantee it will tell you to engage the 'Parking brake' and not rely on a locking transmission ALWAYS!

http://www.driversedguru.com/driving-articles/car-auto-maintenance/always-set-the-parking-brake/

As far as I'm concerned, this is my last post on the subject.

I have never been dazzled by anyone's brake lights. On the other hand, I have been rear-ended several times by drivers who didn't realize I was stopped.

aardvark7 said:
"it's called driving correctly"
"It would seem that you do not know how to drive properly or courteously"
"Do you get paid for such nonsense?"
"it is clear from this thread that, if you are representative of all American drivers, it shows you in a very bad light as being rude, discourteous, and too lazy to read a handbook."

These quotes pretty much speak for themselves.

rjdel said:
It seems to have to do with shift lever going into Park. When this happens, if I push forward on the shifter just a bit, I hear it click. Seems maybe to be a switch or position sensor not fully engaging when shifted into park.
No, there is no position switch, the "gearshift" is directly (hardwired) connected to the gear.
Here you can see pictures of the "inner life": http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/kia-soul-ev/kaputtes-getriebe-t11062-110.html
I only use the "P"ark position when I'm leaving the car. Never use it when the car is still in motion, you can destroy the gear!

Probably just needs the linkage adjusting slightly. This isn't something new for electric vehicles, transmission selector linkages needed adjusting on gasoline powered cars as well.

Here is my too cents. I have 2015 model. Use electric parking brake quite a lot every day, when I go thru drive thru getting some fast food. As each car moves forward, I set my brake. Just shy of 2 years of ownership by 3 months, my EPB lever broke off and it's springs shot it about 2 feet in the air. I'm still waiting for dealership to get the part in, as it is over 3 months now. If and when I get new plastic EFB assembly, I will only set before getting out of car, as I fear it will break again. I use just one finger to set. I would prefer metal assembly or go back to manual parking lever as on the gas models of same year.

This just happened to me. Luckily I was in a fairly level parking lot but the car rolled across the lane and stopped against another car. It was a big surprise to come out and see my car not where I left it. The car was clearly in park, but I had not set the emergency break. I didn't think parking was an emergency... I guess I know better now.

-
What Model Year do you have. I have a 2015. The parking brake got a software update last September.
The parking brake now automatically comes on when you turn off the car.
This feature is now the same as in the 2018 Soul EV and the I oniq Electric.
Do cars in your area not get this update?

Details here - Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) firmware update

i had a service done at the dealer in Jan of this year but didn't get this EPB update.
when the car is rolling forward, if i press the shift knob forward i would feel a click then the rolling would stop.
Kia should issue a recall.

Definitely sounds like the shifter linkage needs adjustment. You should demonstrate that to the dealer and they should be able to adjust the cable pretty quickly.

Just happened to me. Put car in park and got out to move something so I could park in the garage. Rolled down drive into wall.
Dealer says there's nothing wrong with it.
Not happy.
M

2015 Soul EV

This happened to us for the first time 2 days ago. Put it in park and the car started rolling when I got out of it. Luckily we were in a relatively flat parking lot so I was able to jump back in the car and stop it.

I turned the car on, then off and everything was back to normal.

I have an appointment at the dealership next week. When I described what happened the service adviser said that if they can't reproduce the issue they won't be able to fix it.

My reply was I am not going to let this go and will report it to the NHTSA.

Until the car goes in for diagnosis we are manually setting the parking brake every time we park.

I bought a used 2016 EV a couple of weeks ago, and I've had that issue twice already. Has anyone been able to get it fixed from Kia?

Back