Soul Spy?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried the new version but it stops shortly after the Bluetooth connection is made, maybe 1-2 seconds. I do see the lights flash a lot on the OBD2 adaptor before it stops.

I don't have a KW-902, I have a different ELM327 Chinese clone. It did work with the older version b1668 so I was hoping it would work with the new version.

Are there any logs or crash files I can send to help debug this?

My Downloads directory is actually under "Internal storage" rather than "SD card". I only see log files and CSV data there from when I ran the old version in 2018, nothing 2019 from the new version.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the issue with my device and dongle, so I am unsure if the things I have changed will fix the problem. Please post here immediately, in case this version also has problems: http://spjeldager.dk/elbil/SoulEVSpy-0.1.2-2598-debug.apk

Cool, thanks for the feedback! Interesting that it works with another clone. I have tried a few, and for those, only the KW-902 works reliably with the SoulEVSpy app.

I have updated the download link to point to the new version of the app: https://github.com/langemand/SoulEVSpy/blob/master/README.md

-
I have downloaded and tested the latest app. It is 'working'. (sort of). I don't think it is ready yet to recommend to anyone, but it is getting close.

The SOH calculations are incorrect. I have opened an issue on your github - Langemand/SoulEVSpy.

I have no idea what the precise SOC measure is showing.

There is no value shown for odometer. That is one of the missing values from Torque that would make SoulEVspy useful for me. The other 2 are the ambient temperature and the GOM, which you do already show.

SoulEVSpy lacks a user friendly interface. You need to turn bluetooth on first, otherwise it crashes.
There is no way to turn SoulEVSpy off from the app. You have to FORCE STOP from settings.
(Unless I am missing something that wasn't obvious)

I was out car shopping today and successfully used a Panalong OBDII dongle with this software. Took me a bit to figure out the menu, but finally got the SOH from two Soul EV's, both 2016 models. One with 20K miles showed 94.9% but the range seemed really low. Another one from Southern California showed 113% and the range was right where I would expect it to be (60 miles at 60%) with only 8600 miles.
How should I interpret these readings? The low mileage one has a more than perfect battery, or the other one is more likely at 84%?

The estimated range primarily depends on how the car has been driven previously, you cannot use it for comparing two used cars.

The reading of 113% SOH seem to indicate that the latest build of the SoulEvSpy was not used, and that max det reported by the car was zero. In my car, max det is zero after the aux 12 volt battery has been disconnected, until the car can next estimate it (after charging close to 100% and discharging to below 10%).

Thanks for the reply!
I downloaded version 0.1.2-2598
The first car with 20K miles just came in and had not been in the shop yet.
The second car with 8600 miles and 113% SOH has been through the shop and is sitting on the lot.
This is at a Kia dealership and both cars are CPO. I really like the first one since it has all options, but battery health is my first concern.
They have offered to do a battery test on either of them.

I am not entirely sure which situations led to my car having max det zero - it has had a depleted aux battery on numerous occasions. It could also be after the car firmware was upgraded. I am interested in how the Kia dealer does a "battery test"?

Thanks for testing!
I have released a new version: SoulEVSpy-0.1.2-2623 (https://github.com/langemand/SoulEVSpy/blob/master/README.md)

JejuSoul said:
-
The SOH calculations are incorrect. I have opened an issue on your github
Fixed in current release.

JejuSoul said:
-
I have no idea what the precise SOC measure is showing.
It is showing the value from PID 598 (with no offset), see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YYlZ-IcTQlz-LzaYkHO-7a4SFM8QYs2BGNXiSU5_EwI/edit#gid=234054559

JejuSoul said:
-
There is no value shown for odometer.
I have added that on the "Car" page.

JejuSoul said:
-
You need to turn bluetooth on first, otherwise it crashes.
I had fixed that.

JejuSoul said:
-
There is no way to turn SoulEVSpy off from the app. You have to FORCE STOP from settings.
(Unless I am missing something that wasn't obvious)
Which device and Android version are you using?
On every device I have tested this, the dialogue displays like this:

I have removed the "Cancel" choice, so the two other will fit on your device screen. You can simply press next to the pop-up, to cancel.

Thanks again for testing and reporting back! There seem to be different issues with different devices and android versions, so I am unable to reproduce all issues with the devices I own.

Which device and Android version are you using?
On every device I have tested this, the dialogue displays like this:
I did not have that problem on my Moto G5, and I'm using a different dongle (Panalong). I thank you for your work!

langemand said:
I am not entirely sure which situations led to my car having max det zero - it has had a depleted aux battery on numerous occasions. It could also be after the car firmware was upgraded. I am interested in how the Kia dealer does a "battery test"?
A BMS reset occurs when the BMS software is upgraded ( or the BMS hardware is changed. ) - BMS software update

It does not occur when the 12V battery is disconnected or removed. Some settings on the Navi computer such as the radio channels are lost when the 12V battery is disconnected, but most settings remain.

langemand said:
It is showing the value from PID 598 (with no offset), see https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YYlZ-IcTQlz-LzaYkHO-7a4SFM8QYs2BGNXiSU5_EwI/edit#gid=234054559
Thanks. A new value we have not been able to see in Torque. I am not sure this is SOC. Is it Stored Energy?
SOC_Display is in PID 542
SOC_BMS is in PID 594
Has anyone ever checked that these two are the same SOC_Display and SOC_BMS as displayed by the BMS?

I will have a look at these values next time I charge the car.

----------------------------------

I am having problems installing the latest app.

version SoulEVSpy-0.1.2-2623-debug.apk - gives a 404 not found error
Code:
The requested URL /elbil/SoulEVSpy-0.1.2-2623-debug.apk was not found on this server.

version SoulEVSpy-0.1.2-2619-debug.apk - can be downloaded but fails to install.

JejuSoul said:
I am having problems installing the latest app.

version SoulEVSpy-0.1.2-2623-debug.apk - gives a 404 not found error
Code:
The requested URL /elbil/SoulEVSpy-0.1.2-2623-debug.apk was not found on this server.

version SoulEVSpy-0.1.2-2619-debug.apk - can be downloaded but fails to install.

I don't know how I messed that up this morning, sorry about that. It is there now: http://spjeldager.dk/elbil/SoulEVSpy-0.1.2-2623-debug.apk

The last few builds (and future builds) are built automatically by Circleci, whenever a change is pushed to the source code repo. I have experienced that the apk's built by Circleci will not upgrade the app, if installed from an apk I have build myself, and vice versa. The only way is to uninstall the installed version, so the new version will install. So you will also have to select your dongle again, and any other app settings you may have changed.

Fixed yet another cause for crashing: No bluetooth devices paired with phone when opening the bluetooth list in settings.
Link to latest "debug-release" available here: https://github.com/langemand/SoulEVSpy/blob/master/README.md

-
Great. The bluetooth bug I had earlier is gone. And the close screen now looks like this. It works.

photo_2019-02-20_23-3wzk00.jpg

The odometer is shown, but this screen behaves strangely. After a few seconds the page jumps back to the top. You have to scroll down again to see the odometer.
photo_2019-02-20_23-3mljou.jpg

JejuSoul said:
The odometer is shown, but this screen behaves strangely. After a few seconds the page jumps back to the top. You have to scroll down again to see the odometer.

Same here

Just so I'm clear on this, I should remove the current version before I download the latest version, correct? I am purchasing a low mileage 2016 this Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back