2016 Soul EV Brake Failure

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveZsoulEV

My wife was driving and when she turned into the driveway she said there was no brake response. She had three options... collide with another car in the driveway, run down a 20 ft embankment into a river or turn and hit a tree. She chose the tree. She said she was able to backup from the tree and drive around to the front of the driveway and stop. The brakes were apparently working again. Once turned off, the car would not start again...all kinds of warning icons on the dash. The liberty mutual adjuster totaled the car with about $13k of visible damage alone. My Kia service mgr said some kind of connector to the motor was broken so the car couldn't be started hinting at more hidden damage. Kia is NOT going to inspect the brakes to determine the cause. Liberty mutual is going to scrap the car tomorrow.

Since I wasn't driving, I only know what my wife reported. I don't know what to do next. Is there some kind of safety issue? Are there any reports of brake failures on this forum? Should I call Kia North America management? I'm looking for some feedback here. What options do I have. The car was leased and expiring in November. I wanted to get a 2020 Soul EV next but now I'm not so sure.

Back