rscamp

Re: Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:18 am

beanman wrote:So I was emboldened to pop off the housing around the shifter. Was not too hard to pop off the shifter knob in neutral, and pull the console out and up...

Ah. So from your description and photo it looks like the top of the housing needs to be pulled toward the rear of the car first and then up. I was definitely not doing that yesterday. :(

ksoul2084

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:46 am

FueledUpRooster wrote:Hey everyone,

So I decided to take the wiring out of the car today and found the SECOND KEY FOB and the AUX/USB unit completely intact!

The FOB was so exciting to find, they had it connected around one of the NFC wires by winding the wire around the fob about 15 times, very odd.

This is a remarkable find! :)

I will take a look at mine on Sunday and let you know what hidden "treasures", if any, I can uncover.

ksoul2084

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:35 pm

FueledUpRooster wrote:https://youtu.be/x0oFrloTuc0

Thanks for making the effort to post that video after you'd already had yours apart and put back together - appreciated!

So I took my central console cover off today and... JACKPOT!

...USB board and 2nd smart key fob were both there exactly as FueledUpRooster indicated. The keyfob was wrapped in 12v wire in some sort of Faraday Cage I guess to prevent the car from detecting that it was there?

A little Goo gone to clean them up and everything is back together like factory. I also applied the SW upgrade and my car is now Apple CarPlay enabled, which I'm thrilled with. :D

So of my things to fix/do list from my earlier post:

Still to be done:
- Replacement side-mirror (used from a wrecker), this will correct a broken signal light and worn out mirror adjuster.
- Replacement steering wheel (slightly used from a wrecker). This will provide a much nicer steering wheel with no spray paint, etc.
- Replacement centre vent dash piece (from a wrecker). This will replace the piece with the holes in the dash.
- Re-connect USB connection now that the Cdn firmware update has been made available for CarPlay.
- See if I can figure out why the back-up camera isn't working (low priority).

...all are now complete except for figuring out why the back-up camera isn't working. I was also able to clean up the glue from the old green wrap on the doors and fenders with a little Goo gone. Also, as I noted previously my A/C doesn't work either due to what I believe to be lack of refrigerant. Fortunately, here in Calgary you don't actually NEED A/C as often as you'd think. ;)

I ran the car battery down to 7% remaining this week and managed 112km driven with 7km range left (est,), for a total range of 119km. I then recharged to 100%. It seems to have rebalanced the cells in a favourable manner. So prior to this the worst I'd seen it was most cells with 3.70v and a few outliers down at 3.64v and even one at 3.60v (cell #95). This had a corresponding max cell det. of 36.3% and a min cel det. of 19.1, with a 82.3%.

After the 100% recharge it is now showing 85km range (up from 81km on the previous charge), Max cell det. of 33.7%, Min cell det. of 0.7%, associated SOH is 92.8%. The cell map shows most cells at 4.06v, and few at 4.08v, and #95 which was a full tenth of a volt lower than the majority of the pack is now at 2 hundredths of a volt HIGHER than the rest of the pack (4.10v).

rscamp

Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks for making the video! Much appreciated. Removing the shift knob is no problem but no matter what I try I can't even start to lift the console. Either I'm weak or it has stronger clips. :)

FueledUpRooster

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:59 am

I believe the reason for the keyfob to be wrapped like it was, was to provide all the drivers with a master key which would open the doors (My manual keys do not work). This way the taxi driver would be able to drop the car off and easily swap and start the next car without requiring the fob.

Who knows lol.

Also if you're having trouble maybe get some of those plastic interior pry tools and see if you can get under the front area, you want to pop that part of first so you can lift and pull forward.

FueledUpRooster

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 am

ksoul, It's too bad you don't live closer to me, I could help you with the backup camera.

But to be honest look at the way they handled some of the dismantling they probably accidentally unplugged it, or it's not seeing the shifter position.

What happens when you put it in reverse? Does the screen just go blank? Or does it stay on the main screen?

ksoul2084

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 am

FueledUpRooster wrote:ksoul, It's too bad you don't live closer to me, I could help you with the backup camera.

But to be honest look at the way they handled some of the dismantling they probably accidentally unplugged it, or it's not seeing the shifter position.

What happens when you put it in reverse? Does the screen just go blank? Or does it stay on the main screen?

Yeah I'm assuming as much just haven't taken the time to access the back of the main screen module yet. When in reverse it goes into the camera "mode" but the screen is just black.

I also noticed that my remote trunk latch release on the keyfob doesn't work. If I press and hold the button the car will flash its lights but the trunk won't release. Possibly the same connector?

ksoul2084

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:14 am

rscamp wrote:

Thanks for making the video! Much appreciated. Removing the shift knob is no problem but no matter what I try I can't even start to lift the console. Either I'm weak or it has stronger clips. :)

Try using a small/thin flathead screwdriver, wrap the end in electrical tape, and try prying the front/far end of the console up from the piece below it on both sides. Once you get it started to lift you should be able to move the screwdriver along the gap towards the shifter and gradually increase the gap. Then just forcefully lift the console piece straight up. Might be easier to get a grip if you wear those rubberized garden gloves.

beanman

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 am

Interesting. I thought these were generic fobs and the truck release simply didn't do anything as it wasn't a power lift gate. I'm going to check that out.

An observation: when driving this past weekend on an almost full charge, I noticed the lower portion the the battery charge meter, I think only the red dashes that indicate low charge, where intermittently flashing. No idea what that means.

Return to “Buying a Kia Soul EV”