Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beanman said:
Interesting. I thought these were generic fobs and the truck release simply didn't do anything as it wasn't a power lift gate. I'm going to check that out.

An observation: when driving this past weekend on an almost full charge, I noticed the lower portion the the battery charge meter, I think only the red dashes that indicate low charge, where intermittently flashing. No idea what that means.

To be honest I have no idea if it's supposed to have a power lift gate. I just assumed so because it was on the fob. It may not... :)

EDIT> I checked the manual, no mention of it at all so I'm guessing that it doesn't actually have this feature.

I've read elsewhere of some people getting their dash consoles replaced under warranty due to the flashing issue you are mentioning. Sounds like it might be starting to fail?

I've read elsewhere of some people getting their dash consoles replaced under warranty due to the flashing issue you are mentioning. Sounds like it might be starting to fail?

Thanks. The software engineer in me tells me that it's not failing but an indication of something. Perhaps a post to the technical thread might enlighten me. I think it only happened during acceleration, specifically when using enough juice to go from "Eco" to "Power" on the energy usage meter. But I'll have to watch to confirm it.

It was discussed in a couple of threads, I can only find one right now:
http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=79&p=249&hilit=flickering#p249

I know someone posted a video of it a couple of years ago, but I can't find that now. Some people have had their instrument cluster replaced to try and fix it but then seen it again on the new one. I've not seen anyone post that it has definitely been fixed. I only see it occasionally on mine so I just ignore it

Thanks so much for the search. I too am chalking it up to a software glitch. Like a BMS debug mode.
May not be a glitch, but a feature! Just have to figure out what it means.

-
The button for the trunk door on the key fob does nothing.

The flashing red bars on the instrument cluster is a glitch. It has no meaning.
I would just leave it as is.
The few people who did bother to get a replacement instrument cluster have a mixed response.
Some say it is fixed, some say it is still the same.
But there is one instance where the Kia service technician broke something else during the repair and made the car worse than before.

There's a video and discussion of the glitch here - Red Range Bars Started to Blink w/ Concomitant Loss of R

https://youtu.be/mD2FSW9Tayc

beanman said:
Hi FueledUpRooster

If it's the same tires as I saw on a few models in Toronto, those are not crappy winter tires, but upgraded all weather tires (Think snow tires you're allowed to use all year round). I'll leave it to others who know more about which tires are actually best for these EVs .. apparently there's a whole resistance line of tires that help with mileage)

I'm about to buy one of these old taxis as well. Mine has had the battery serviced last may so I'm getting a brand new battery with it! Deposit has been placed with the dealer. Should be happening next week.

I was wondering which tires you guys had opted for instead of these "winter" 4 seasons? Presumable you'd want to replace them to get the extra range this summer right?

I've searched around for more info on the low resistance tires but couldn't find much hard data on how much more efficient they are than regular summer tires. There are alot of people complaining about poor braking and grip performance. I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice safety just too eek out an extra 4-5 miles per charge...

It looks like performance tires would probably reduce the range by about 10% according to this article on a Chevy Bolt. I assume it wouldn't be quite so bad if they were more typical all season tires.
https://insideevs.com/news/335107/how-ultra-performance-tires-affect-the-chevrolet-bolt/

I'm probably going to get one of these ex-taxis too. I think mine has had the battery replaced at some point, as it was showing 94km range at 71%, which extrapolates to about 130km at 100% (about 125k km on the odometer). There were several other available with lower range. Some that could have battery replaced under warranty, but I didn't want to deal with that...

Just want to report back that last night I finally took off that screen at the back of the passenger; turns out inside is a 32GB Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 LTE with a Videotron SIM and a 32GB MicroSD inside.

It was Google account locked, so I spent the night trying to unlock it... It was fun :D

Looked up the carfax report on the car and the battery was probably replaced April 30th 2019 (only service reported and it was at Dorval Kia), and it's been driven under 1,000 km since then, because the odometer was noted by Kia at 125k km beginning of April and it's still below 126k km.

rscamp said:
FueledUpRooster said:
https://youtu.be/x0oFrloTuc0

Thanks for making the video! Much appreciated. Removing the shift knob is no problem but no matter what I try I can't even start to lift the console. Either I'm weak or it has stronger clips. :)

Further to this post, the dealer undertook the task of removing the console and discovered [drum roll] - the second fob! After recovering the fob and reconnecting a cut wire, not only do both fobs work but they were also able to program the extra fob I originally purchased. Suddenly, my operational fob count has tripled. LOL.

The battery seems good in this vehicle. After an extended period of warm weather city driving, I'm regularly getting a reported range around 220km after a full charge.

Hey Guys,

I'm from Ottawa, a dealer in Toronto has one of these with 130KM (2016 Kia Soul EV Luxury Trim) with what looked to be original paint for $9950. I've put a deposit down, and thanks to this forum, saw the rebate offer for $1,000 from PlugNDrive.

I currently work from home and generally just need to run to the grocery store (generally 10KM or less in a day, rarely sometimes 80-100km in a day). I currently drive an old V6 Van that eats gas like it doesn't cost anything; Pretty excited...

Tcalp said:
Hey Guys,

I'm from Ottawa, a dealer in Toronto has one of these with 130KM (2016 Kia Soul EV Luxury Trim) with what looked to be original paint for $9950. I've put a deposit down, and thanks to this forum, saw the rebate offer for $1,000 from PlugNDrive.

I currently work from home and generally just need to run to the grocery store (generally 10KM or less in a day, rarely sometimes 80-100km in a day). I currently drive an old V6 Van that eats gas like it doesn't cost anything; Pretty excited...

Your cost per km for fuel will drop dramatically. For comparison in Ontario, consider the cost of electrical energy equivalent to paying about $0.25/litre for gasoline.

Driving that little you can get away with L1 charging. Does the price include the stock (or a replacement) L1 EVSE?

rscamp said:
Driving that little you can get away with L1 charging. Does the price include the stock (or a replacement) L1 EVSE?

I hadn't actually thought to ask, but I do plan on calling later today for clarification.

Tcalp said:
rscamp said:

I hadn't actually thought to ask, but I do plan on calling later today for clarification.

Be aware that the AUX, USB port and left 120W "cigarette lighter" are likely not functional. Also, mine was missing the compressor for the emergency tire repair kit (under the black foam dual compartment in the trunk). My dealer was unaware of these defects. You could use this to negotiate price down.

I think they mainly don't include the l1 charging cable. Also check the guessometer on 100% charge or on whatever percentage it's on and do the math. The range varies on the cars even with the same mileage. Some have had batteries replaced and most are eligible for battery replacement if the state of health of the battery is below 70% since warranty is 8 years 160k km. Mine had battery replaced and range on 100% looks to be about 130km or so. If it's below 100km I guess that might be eligible for replacement as EPA mileage is supposed to be 148km.

bijan said:
I think they mainly don't include the l1 charging cable. Also check the guessometer on 100% charge or on whatever percentage it's on and do the math. The range varies on the cars even with the same mileage. Some have had batteries replaced and most are eligible for battery replacement if the state of health of the battery is below 70% since warranty is 8 years 160k km. Mine had battery replaced and range on 100% looks to be about 130km or so. If it's below 100km I guess that might be eligible for replacement as EPA mileage is supposed to be 148km.

I found I couldn't go by the GOM at all as a first guess at the battery health. When I first hopped in the car for a test drive it wasn't far from full and the range was less than 100km. In hindsight it must have been because of the way it was driven and WHEN it was driven (in the cold) very early this year before Teo Taxi went under. An early dealer SOH check claimed good condition.

A month ago the range was 178km (2018 model). This is mediocre for a gently driven 2018 in warm weather. What corrected the GOM the most was a deep discharge/charge cycle and subsequent warmer weather driving. Now it is 220+km - almost 25% more.

So, I would suggest also going into the menu and looking at the trip history. If it is full of inefficient trips (high kWh/100km) from months ago then I think the predicted range will be significantly underestimated.

rscamp said:
I found I couldn't go by the GOM at all as a first guess at the battery health.

So, I would suggest also going into the menu and looking at the trip history. If it is full of inefficient trips (high kWh/100km) from months ago then I think the predicted range will be significantly underestimated.

That's a great suggestion. I think I did notice some such trips at 270wh/km whereas I'm getting closer to 200.

I also did a long-ish test drive to make sure the guess o meter wasn't too far off.

bijan said:
rscamp said:
I found I couldn't go by the GOM at all as a first guess at the battery health.

That's a great suggestion. I think I did notice some such trips at 270wh/km whereas I'm getting closer to 200.

I also did a long-ish test drive to make sure the guess o meter wasn't too far off.

You might also be able to delete history. I'm not sure.

If you can run it down low and do a full charge this made the most difference in the GOM estimate for me. 200 Wh/km seems like Model S/X territory. I'm averaging about 130 Wh/km for city driving in this Soul EV.

Back