Math doesn't work

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgarr33434

My 2015 Kia Souk EV w 36,000 miles shows 23.1kwh soh. I'm averaging 4.0 miles per kwh. So why does my gom say 65 miles range when 100% charged? It should be in the low 90s. The car is one month new to me. Also max deterioration is 98%, so I have at least one pair of cells at about zero. Can they be replaced?

Mat det at 98% is concerning. Your battery pack has become extremely unbalanced, thus BMS leading to spit out 65 miles on the GOM. Try running down your battery to 0% and see what you get?

Or else you could go to the dealer and get a SOH report (~$120). That's the only way to check for sure. If it's under warranty conditions, the pack will be replaced under warranty. Otherwise you're stuck waiting until it gets worse.

Thanks for responding! Yes, car has about 18 months of warranty remaining. I'm the second owner....First was a lease, I did get a SOH when the local dealer did some warranty work. 87%. I'll try to figure out when I can run the battery down. What should I expect will happen?

Statement%20of%20health%20Augusta.png

I'm now getting 64 mile range from a full charge. Does this SOH make sense?

-
Max deterioration at 98% is either a glitch, or more likely it means one of the cells has failed.
The battery will need to be repaired / replaced.
In both previous cases Kia has just replaced the entire battery, rather than try to repair just a single cell.

If you download and install the soulspy app there is a voltage heatmap.
This should show you the faulty cell fairly easily.

I have a 2011 Hyundai BlueON Electric with a single faulty cell.
When charging that cell stands out because its voltage is much higher than the others. See pic below - cell 61 is the bad cell.
When driving that cell stands out because its voltage is much lower than the others.

Kia just replaced my battery under warranty with a 28.8 kWh battery. Not sure if that is the 111 or 90 mile battery. 28.8 x 4 miles per kWh is 112 mile range.

bgarr33434 said:
Kia just replaced my battery under warranty...
Can you tell us whether the Torque app sees 100 cells which is the 2018 30kWh pack, or 96 cells which is the 2016 27kWh pack.

I won't have the car back for another week or so. Because I live in Florida, where there are zero authorized Kia EV mechanics, my EV is in North Carolina. It still has to be tested and then shipped back to me.

bgarr33434 said:
I won't have the car back for another week or so. Because I live in Florida, where there are zero authorized Kia EV mechanics, my EV is in North Carolina. It still has to be tested and then shipped back to me.
This is very interesting to me as I am in Calgary, Alberta and there are no EV authorized KIA dealers in Alberta either.

Could you describe how you went about getting the car tested, etc. in order to receive the warranty replacement?

Did you take it to an local non-EV authorized dealer and they arranged for shipment, etc. or did you transport it yourself to the EV-authorized dealer?

bgarr33434 said:
No, I went on the Kia website and opened a statement form.

Sorry, could you expand a little on the process that followed?

You opened a statement by submitting something to their website?

How did you go about describing your issue to them?

Did they contact you directly via phone or something?

I appreciate your response as I'm basically in the same boat that you were and looking for advice on how to proceed.

They called me by phone. I wrote that my GOM was dropping every week and was currently at xxx
Could they please help

Back