Tcalp

Re: Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:12 pm

I've installed 'Torque Pro' with the datasets from JejuSoul. My SoH states 27.6KwH , but then my dash readout says that I'm averaging 15-16KwH per 100/km, and not able to get more than 100/km on a charge ? I'm confused .....

JejuSoul

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:47 pm

-
From a recent post in the SoulSpy Thread.
langemand wrote:...
Actual range is affected by many other factors besides battery capacity. Have you ruled out:
- hanging brakes
- New wheels or tires
- AC lost (most of) it's cooling fluid
- season of year (temperature, wind)
- changed driving patterns: Style, route, speed, distance per stop, time per stop, hills
- changed charging patterns
- roof rack

And the range value displayed by the car is varying even more, based on the latest trips (and, I believe, depending on when you last reset it).

For us to judge why your GOM is low, you will have to tell us a lot more detail about how you are driving the car.
It would also help if you stated the car's age and how far it has driven.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

robbiedrowbot

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:03 pm

Thanks to all the useful information posted on this thread!!!
I just bought one of those former limo/taxi 2016 Kia Soul with 134,000 km. I got mine from https://www.langmotorcar.com
In my first run from full charge (guess-o-meter showed 125km) to empty I got 148 km in a variety driving conditions (AC on, highway, etc.) until the turtle indicator showed up now I'm doing trickle charge with 110 portable adapter. Brakes seem to be low but is the first time I drive a Kia EV so I don't have a comparison point.
So far everything works. Well only the projector headlights aim seems to be off, but besides that no rattle noises no glitches, only minor dents and scratches, and glue residues from the vinyl wrapping. Tire repair kit was in the trunk but no portable charge adapter.
I was very exciting to find the second FOB :D :D :D as it was described in previous posts. Since restoring it to its former glory is my pet project, I'd like to contribute with some findings.

Work done so far:
1.- Removed occupied/free indicator lights from the front/rear windows, disconnected, and tucked the cables away, sticker residue is stubborn.
2.- Removed the dome camera by disconnecting the cable from inside boards (the poor thing didn't survived surgery) and tucked cables away too.
3.- Removed the bracket from the front vents, filled up the holes with epoxy sanded and wrapped in white vinyl to mach the interior white trim inserts, the cable was routed to the AUX/USB panel hidden under console.
4.- Found the second FOB!!!
5.- Restored the AUX/USB panel. The AUX cable connected to this panel comes from the headrest bracket so I removed them while removing the hardware.
6.- Submitted paperwork for the plug'n drive $1000 used vehicle purchase incentive (Ontario only). I got the confirmation that all was received and complete. I'm still waiting for the cheque. More info here https://www.plugndrive.ca/used-electric-vehicles/

I'm still trying to figure out what other cables/relays/connectors should be removed without breaking the electric system. Suggestions/instructions/guides/how to (with pictures) are welcomed.

Someone requested Kia manuals. I was able to remove the interior trim following instructions in this website.
http://www.kisouman.com/second_generation_ps_2014_year_-385.html

One final question. How do I update the firmware to get Apple CarPlay?

I'm pondering remove the roof trim by myself since there are curtain airbags, in order to get rid of the aluminum hardware on the roof and other wiring. Did someone manage to do that by himself?

Tcalp

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:02 am

For us to judge why your GOM is low, you will have to tell us a lot more detail about how you are driving the car.
It would also help if you stated the car's age and how far it has driven.[/quote]

Hi Jeju,

Firstly, thanks for all the hard work you put in for the community. As to my car, it's a 2016 Teo Taxi with just under 130,000KM. So far, I've driven the car back from Toronto, and a bit of mixed highway/city driving since then. I'm not burning off the line, trying to keep it in the first few bars of 'power' or in eco area; In my latest testing I've kept under 100KM/h on the highway, and keeping AC off. As to charging, I've done L1/L2/L3 at this point. If there is some sort of manual reset I can do, aside from taking the battery low, I'm not sure how to do that, but I have driven the car until it was in power limited mode.

During charging, I'm pretty sure I've watched the charge percentage jump from ~64% to ~70%, and then entirely stop at 94%, though I haven't re-confirmed this and could be a figment of my imagination. I've yet to see the car intake more than 21KW during charging (this is what the car took in at an L3 to full charge after hitting power limitation).

In the end, the GOM is topping out at ~101KM with mixed driving -- I hope this helps.

Tcalp

Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:26 am

robbiedrowbot wrote:One final question. How do I update the firmware to get Apple CarPlay?

There is a thread on that here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=832 , which includes video and links (links are further in the thread)

thesalmonmousse

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:22 pm

So here's some information that might be of interest. I live in Montreal, where Teo taxi was operating. Yesterday, I was looking for a place that could remove the taxi gear for me so I called up a taximeter installation company. Believe it or not, first place I call happens to be the place that was involved in installing these mods for Teo. The guy told me that these cars have been extensively modified. About 24h of labor per car to install all of the electronics. In addition to the stuff that's apparent behind the windshield, he said there's a wifi system in the roof (was used for the taxi customers), there are sensors in the back seats that are hooked up to the seat heaters and there are also a number of add ons that were used to monitor driving stats, vehicle location and speed. Apparently, drivers working for that company were extensively monitored. They would know if the driver broke speed limits or was braking too aggressively. I guess none of this is operational any more, but who knows... maybe Teo is still monitoring our driving :)

I ended up going to another taximeter shop to get the gear removed as this first place was charging 90$/h to have everything removed properly. Second place I went to just removed the major items if the windshield (taximeter in the glove box, camera, small black round "puck", occupied/available indicators) and charged me only 15$. They left the box on the left side of the windshield, said that was the card reader drivers would use to unlock or start the cars and they didn't want to touch that.

I was wondering if anyone had had any luck removing the boxes on the roof. I don't mind the metal cross bars, but I would want to get the boxes removed. The taxi place wasn't equipped to do it and I broke an Allan key trying to unscrew one of the 8 hex screws that attaches them.

robbiedrowbot

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:54 pm

thesalmonmousse wrote:I was wondering if anyone had had any luck removing the boxes on the roof. I don't mind the metal cross bars, but I would want to get the boxes removed. The taxi place wasn't equipped to do it and I broke an Allan key trying to unscrew one of the 8 hex screws that attaches them.

I also tried to remove the metal block form the roof and broke an Allen key too, so I assume those screws have threadlocker applied to it. I'm going to adventure in unknown territory and remove the roof trim, hopefully over the weekend.

Tcalp

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Does anyone have any of the signs that were originally on the roof with their Teo Taxi ? I was thinking of getting mine wrapped, and it could add to it ;)

ksoul2084

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:57 am

My 2016 former-Teo taxi Soul had the sign removed but they left the giant holes in the roof and simply covered them with a black wrap. Yesterday it hailed here and the wrap tore open over most of the holes, exposing the inside of the roof to the elements. :(

So now I need to figure out a long-term solution to plugging the holes to keep them water-tight and as visually appealing as possible.

Since the black wrap on the roof was damaged in several places by the hail I'm thinking of removing it entirely to expose the original light blue paint, though I have no idea what other cosmetic / paint damage might be lurking under the wrap from the sign, etc.

Any suggestions on how to plug these large holes? I'm thinking a large, thin bolt of some sort and some water-rated silicone but maybe there is some kind of thin plastic plug or something that would look better?

thesalmonmousse

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:58 am

robbiedrowbot wrote:I also tried to remove the metal block form the roof and broke an Allen key too, so I assume those screws have threadlocker applied to it. I'm going to adventure in unknown territory and remove the roof trim, hopefully over the weekend.

Does that mean even a mechanic wouldn't be able to unscrew these with a more sturdy tool?

Return to “Buying a Kia Soul EV”