Roof rack revisited

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacmobile

So I was turned off the 1st gen E-Soul due to a lack of roof rack compatibility but I had heard that was to be remedied with the 2020 and early pics I saw confirmed that it would have roof rails like this one from the 2019 Canadian International Auto Show:
ht0orcc.png

I just put a deposit down on an SX Limited blindly thinking this had been changed however all the current pics I see of Canadian models show a worryingly clean looking roof line. I'm going to call the dealer on Monday but in the meantime maybe some of you can answer my questions:
1. Is the model in the above pic perhaps a prototype or from a different market? (I think i've seen that colour on Euro-spec Soul's)
2. Do you think it's possible to order those rails from abroad and what is the likelihood they'd fit or is it a completely different roof?
3. Has anybody installed an aftermarket roof rail kit (Thule, Yakima etc) on their 2nd gen and how did that go? (I've read the previous 1st gen thread just wondering if there's maybe some specific pitfalls with the 2nd gen)
4. Why would Kia do this?

I have a 2020 Limited version and there are no roof rails. Yes it is just a strip of plastic where they would fit and I think I read that adding them is not an easy task indeed may be impossible due the lack of anchoring points?

I feel the picture is for a different market. I did get a list of specs from Jan 2019 of my car and it did not include the rails but even if it had, the list was "subject to change". I didn't worry because companies like Thule seem to create solutions.

I too am interested in adding a roof rack when needed for a kayak and to that end I contacted Thule - they said they were "working on it". I have not heard anything and it has been a couple of months. Thule asks whether cars have roof rail or not and seems to make a few versions. I did read somewhere that someone was thinking an earlier model Soul roof rack might fit but the roof line may well have changed for the 2020. If there was a rack available for Europe as long as it was the 2020 and indicated no roof rails it should fit.

It does not actually seem that difficult since I have another car and Thule just provides rubber pads that conform to the roof shape. Of course they no doubt consider how many they might sell and at the moment it may be a small number.

I am hoping after market companies will fill the void that Kia has created. However it is still very early days for the 2020 model.

I just looked around and the Thule KIT1820 looks promising. Looking at the roof on my 2020 there is a very strong "lip" where the rails would fit. The rail area is recessed. The kit has distinct ledges on the rubber foot it seems and that may provide a good anchor for the usual pull-down arrangement that clips around the frame at the top of the doors. It was designed for an earlier Soul EV but note it says "2014-" suggesting it could fit other models.
https://www.rackoutfitters.com/thule-kit1820-traverse-fit-kit-1820-for-kia-soul-ev/

Yeah, I'm a little apprehensive of the door mount pull down style towers after using "professionally" installed Yakima Q towers on a Jetta which chipped the paint off right to the metal on all 4 doors. I talked to the dealer yesterday who confirmed no fixed point rack mounting points like those found on some gasser Soul's, they said Kia's reasoning is that it would affect range (no duh, but I still need to haul my stuff, sheesh!) I did find these Yakima towers that mount to any roof using blind fasteners however https://www.yakima.com/ca/landing-pad-7 but i'd have to work up my courage to drill into the roof of a brand new car is all. I also saw something on a Euro forum saying the black strips can be removed to expose a gutter where lugs could possibly be mounted (I have a friend who's an amateur welder) There's possibilities I guess.

Know the feeling re. the door frame and chips zacmobile.

So on my last car (not a Soul) I bought a thin sheet of strong flexible plastic and cut shapes to fit round the edges beneath all the areas where I had concerns. They worked very well - no chips or scratches at all - and when Thule comes out with a rack for the 2020 Soul I will use them again.

I see their point re. drag of course but agree with you - I sometimes need to carry things (like a kayak or wood) and accept there will be reduction in range. I won't be driving around with a roof rack on "for fun" Wonder why they feel we don't think?

I did write to Thule about using the older version but they said they would be very cautious and of course the warranty would be void, so for now I am still waiting. I can't believe there won't be one but . . . .

Back